A word about the King Crimson DVD-A's that are about to come out

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, there is even commercially avaliable consumer software for DVD-A ripping nowadays. Which might be good sometimes. Because record companies have let many fine albums go OOP and they can only be found at collector's prices on e-bay. But there is a wide-spread awareness that we should support new DVD-A releases. I think this happened for instance with Steven Wilson's Insurgentes. Afaik it didn't carry any copy protection at all but despite this the DVD-A edition sold extremely well. I myself received a ripped copy from a friend at work. Once at home and after a quick listen-through, I called to ask him to pop by the store and buy one for me too. Now, after learning that people from this surround community actually have been involved in it, this original disc has a special place in my bookshelf. Just beside the downloaded bootleg of DSotM we all know. They are just two different facets of the admirable efforts by some guys to make good music arrive at our homes.

Nevertheless, some people just don't have the money to spend on all these KC DVD-A's coming out. So there will inevitably be some sharing via the web. I wouldn't dream of blaming anybody for that. It has happened ever since the days when we used to borrow the LP's we couldn't afford from friends and tape them on a cassette. But hey, let's keep it at that and do what we can to make people support these releases :)

Be those people for a moment who made these wonderful new discs possible (Robert Fripp, Steve Wilson, and many more I'm sure). Then imagine seeing your disc on a file-sharing sight. This is not the way to show our gratitude.

Last edited:
...Nevertheless, some people just don't have the money to spend on all these KC DVD-A's coming out. So there will inevitably be some sharing via the web. I wouldn't dream of blaming anybody for that. It has happened ever since the days when we used to borrow the LP's we couldn't afford from friends and tape them on a cassette. But hey, let's keep it at that and do what we can to make people support these releases :)

Yes, there are assholes out there that will justify the theft of someone else's intellectual property and thusly their commercial livelihood by claiming poverty or the classic, "the music belongs to the people, man."

I have had the pleasure of dealing with Mr. Fripp on a business level and can assure all that he does not suffer these fools gladly. Just a quick glimpse into his frequent rants on the sanctity of his music or shall we say "property" will make it clear.

If you can't afford it, you shouldn't steal it - it is STEALING no ands, ifs or buts. It's funny how the term "file sharing" has somehow replaced the term "ripping off."

I don't think you have to worry about the people on this forum. Lord knows most of us have a fortune already invested in SACD's and DVD-A's and Blu-Rays etc etc. A few more purchased to add to the collection will just be a drop in that ocean.

Hello
I have Red on the way and the two others preordered,:sun
Have not listened to early KC before,but with SW in and my love for the
PT DVD-A's I'm in:D

Regards

I am definitely getting Red and am toying with the idea of the In The Court mega set but I may opt for the cheaper 2 disc version. The Lizard package looks beautiful though. Perhaps later.

Burning Shed seems to have very high shipping charges to Canada. Maybe Amazon.uk is a better (cheaper) option?

Burning Shed seems to have very high shipping charges to Canada. Maybe Amazon.uk is a better (cheaper) option?

I'm not sure what you regard as expensive but Court was About $20 delivered to my door and Red was About $22. If you were to buy them here and pay the taxes on them that would be the equivalent of $18 and $20. Sounds like a pretty reasonable price to me.

I'm not sure what you regard as expensive but Court was About $20 delivered to my door and Red was About $22. If you were to buy them here and pay the taxes on them that would be the equivalent of $18 and $20. Sounds like a pretty reasonable price to me.

I better try that site again, I tried putting all 3 in my cart on their site and IIRC the totall for shipping was over $20. Something does not sound right here.

Thanks for the info, those are good prices.

I better try that site again, I tried putting all 3 in my cart on their site and IIRC the totall for shipping was over $20. Something does not sound right here.

Thanks for the info, those are good prices.

Barry, were you trying to order the 5 disk ITCOTK as that would cost more for shipping from Burning Shed. Then a place like amazon uk would be cheaper to order from as amazon usually doesn't charge extra for bigger items and they give you a break on shipping if you order multi items. The other ones(cd\dvda) all cost about 3 pounds per order at BS and I have finally ordered ITCOTK and Red from Burning Shed as got tired of waiting to see if I could get it locally some how. Not sure why I was so stupid as should have done the preorder from BS and would have been listening to them by now.
Oh well.....

peter

I'm really, really looking forward to these releases! We've finally got another great major release by an important artist and group. A great value here. Keep them titles coming, I want to buy all the King Crimson titles and add them to multi-channel collection. Must have titles for sure! (y)

I just turned 40 and my wife did a quiz about me at the party we had. One question was:

How many copies does Mike have of 21st Centry Schiziod Man:

A:1.
B:3.
C:6.
D:Way to many!

The real answer is of course - as many as you can get your hands on.:D

I actually have about 26 (legal) copies across Vinyl, CD, and now DVD-A :banana:!!

I'd never think of file sharing a copy!!

The Lizard King waits for Lizard.:smokin

I just turned 40 and my wife did a quiz about me at the party we had. One question was:

How many copies does Mike have of 21st Centry Schiziod Man:

A:1.
B:3.
C:6.
D:Way to many!

The real answer is of course - as many as you can get your hands on.:D

I actually have about 26 (legal) copies across Vinyl, CD, and now DVD-A :banana:!!

I'd never think of file sharing a copy!!

The Lizard King waits for Lizard.:smokin

I just turned 50 and was hoping to get 'Court' on or around my Birthday as shame on me I haven't listened to it since getting it on vinyl 33 years ago as was to busy getting a few thousand albums/cd's of different artists. I thought I was crazy having up to 5-10 copies of one album title. WOW 26 copies that beats me by quite a bit.

peter

I just turned 50 and was hoping to get 'Court' on or around my Birthday as shame on me I haven't listened to it since getting it on vinyl 33 years ago as was to busy getting a few thousand albums/cd's of different artists. I thought I was crazy having up to 5-10 copies of one album title. WOW 26 copies that beats me by quite a bit.

peter

Sorry - Just to be clear I have 26 copies of 21st Century Schizoid Man not of the In the Court of the Crimson King album:phones

21st Century Schizoid Man being a song title is different from copies of a single album; I have 29 versions in iTunes (and I nuke any duplicates) but is surpassed by Epitaph which appears 34 times.

Is there any information available yet as to when the next set of these will be released? I am liking these so much that I hate having to wait for the rest of the series.

Edit - It looks like I found my answer in a different thread. Next batch not until March 2010 or thereabouts.

Is there any information available yet as to when the next set of these will be released? I am liking these so much that I hate having to wait for the rest of the series.

This is the toughest part for me as well. March seems to be a long time to wait since I have gotten a taste and want more now.

I know that I am slow.:eek:

But..... I finally received my shipping notice from Burning Shed.

RED & ITCOTCK are shipping to my humble abode.

I can't wait to share in the joy that you have all posted on.:smokin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back