Album art on Oppo

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Question for all you experts. :) So, when I rip my discs and convert them to Flac, I usually look for album art (minimally, the front cover) and at least with Foobar, I name the front "front" and save it as a .jpg

So, Foobar picks that up and displays it when I play the music. I keep the .jpg picture in the same folder as the album.
So, with Oppo, if I transfer those same files to a USB stick and play through my Oppo...sometimes I get album art...other times not.
I haven't done my homework to know if the album art being displayed is because of some other reason, or does the Oppo handle my "front.jpg" files?

Anyone know? I ask because I'd like to correct and unify this issue if someday I prefer to go 100% Oppo.

I hope my jumbled up post makes sense. If not, I can clarify.

I play my files on the Oppo from my networked NAS (the PCs are all upstairs!) and if the artwork is in the folder as a .jpg it seems to always pick it up and display it. Don't know what happens if there is more than 1 jpg file. The irritating thing about using the Oppo (and my Panasonic Blu-ray player) with flacs is that it doesn't play the files in track order, only alphabetical, so unless I tag the track names at the beginning with 1, 2, etc, it doesn't play in the album sequence :(.

Same as George above... I change the artwork name to FOLDER and place it in the folder with the flac files. I also place the cover in the metadata using dBpoweramp. No problem with flac and mp3 files, but sometimes the wav files will not accept the folder metadata.

Question for all you experts. :) So, when I rip my discs and convert them to Flac, I usually look for album art (minimally, the front cover) and at least with Foobar, I name the front "front" and save it as a .jpg

So, Foobar picks that up and displays it when I play the music. I keep the .jpg picture in the same folder as the album.
So, with Oppo, if I transfer those same files to a USB stick and play through my Oppo...sometimes I get album art...other times not.
I haven't done my homework to know if the album art being displayed is because of some other reason, or does the Oppo handle my "front.jpg" files?

Anyone know? I ask because I'd like to correct and unify this issue if someday I prefer to go 100% Oppo.

I hope my jumbled up post makes sense. If not, I can clarify.

Simple. You have to make a choice in your Oppo preferences to either download all album art from the Gracenote database (which is about 72.4% accurate) or turn that option off which means that an album cover will appear on your screen only if the file playing contains a picture in its metadata info. I prefer the latter as I work hard at making sure that files are encoded with album artwork.

Simple. You have to make a choice in your Oppo preferences to either download all album art from the Gracenote database (which is about 72.4% accurate) or turn that option off which means that an album cover will appear on your screen only if the file playing contains a picture in its metadata info. I prefer the latter as I work hard at making sure that files are encoded with album artwork.

The Oppo BDP-103 will display artwork regardless of whether the Gracenote database preference setting is set or not when a folder.jpg file is included in the folder currently playing files. The state of the playing files' metadata has no effect on the display of artwork in this case.

Last edited:
The Oppo BDP-105 will display artwork regardless of whether the Gracenote database preference setting is set or not when a folder.jpg file is included in the folder currently playing files. The state of the playing files' metadata has no effect on the display of artwork in this case.

I was simply relating my experience with the BDP-105. I see yours is different.

Yes indeed. We wouldn't want GOS to think he had to mess with metadata in order for his Oppo to display album art, would we? Its well that we discuss our various experiences and exchange ideas. Someone may have a perfect solution to a problem and never know it was a problem except for this forum. I remember when I was mastering DVDAs without first compressing with MLP. When someone said DVDAs would not play without first compressing them, I said wait up. We had a great discussion about that. A lot of folks didn't realize you could make a DVDA without MLP. (Obligatory acknowledgement of Neil's point - Technically you can't because the definition of DVDA includes the use of MLP. We must call it DVDA+ or something similar.) Please carry on and enjoy the high resolution surround sound we all love and admire.

OK, I tried both Simon and George way and neither seemed to work. Let me back up and tell the story and then you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I backup my America Hearts SACD to Flac files. Once I have those flac files in a folder (folder is named same as album title), I then find a picture of the album cover, save it to the same folder and name it literally "front" and save as a .jpg.

When I play those flac files in foobar, the album art is displayed.

I took those same files and folder and dropped onto a USB memory stick. Plugged into the front of my Oppo 103 and they play just fine, only no album art is displayed. I even turned off the gracenote feature and still it didn't display the art.

So, based on that, it seems that no matter which way I leave it, no album art.
OK gang - what do I need to do differently to see the front album art through the Oppo via USB? :)

OK, perp is absolutely correct. Or at least, on the right track. Track, did I just say track....lmao

Anyway - I took the same files, reduced the size of the "front" jpg file and boom. It displays via the Oppo. That is very discouraging to me....
I'm an album art sort of guy...so this just sucks donkey....I have about 900 albums with album art that is in the 800kb range.......now what do I do? ugh....

As previously stated, you need to name the art file folder.jpg That will display the artwork regardless of size, within reason. I've never put a megafile in to test it, but I've used some fairly large artwork files.

OK, I tried both Simon and George way and neither seemed to work. Let me back up and tell the story and then you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I backup my America Hearts SACD to Flac files. Once I have those flac files in a folder (folder is named same as album title), I then find a picture of the album cover, save it to the same folder and name it literally "front" and save as a .jpg.

When I play those flac files in foobar, the album art is displayed.

I took those same files and folder and dropped onto a USB memory stick. Plugged into the front of my Oppo 103 and they play just fine, only no album art is displayed. I even turned off the gracenote feature and still it didn't display the art.

So, based on that, it seems that no matter which way I leave it, no album art.
OK gang - what do I need to do differently to see the front album art through the Oppo via USB? :)

As previously stated, you need to name the art file folder.jpg That will display the artwork regardless of size, within reason. I've never put a megafile in to test it, but I've used some fairly large artwork files.
Yikes, OK. So, "folder" instead of "front". OK, I can try that too. Damn...I hope you are right.

And, just to be transparent for other noobs like me. You may have previously stated it, but many of us come from foobar territory and we have reasons for naming album covers "front". In foobar, you can name "front", back", "artist", etc. And, it can cycle through those and display them as you wish. So, that's where I'm coming from. I thought maybe naming them "front" or "folder" were interchangeable ideas. Guess not.

In my experience, pretty much all you'll get reliably from streaming to the Oppo is good sound, and even then only if you have whole-album files (optionally with cue sheets) and not individual-track files. Everything else (cover art, track skipping, fast-forwarding, whatever) seems to be at the whim of the player and inconsistent. Cover art seems to sometimes work for me if it's Folder.jpg in the same directory as the audio files but is more reliable when actually embedded in the FLAC. Cover art with .dff + cue sheet just never works.

Back