All 9 Steely Dan albums to be released on Hybrid Stereo SACD courtesy of Analogue Productions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...but doesn't do the free shipping deal.

Marginally cheaper for one off purchases, at least.
Then wait for one of their 10% off sales ....which will pay for s/h! Acoustic sounds charges retail [$35] with no further discounting and unless you spend $99 you wont qualify for free s/h.

Then wait for one of their 10% off sales ....which will pay for s/h! Acoustic sounds charges retail [$35] with no further discounting and unless you spend $99 you wont qualify for free s/h.

It's $50, but yes it's a valid option.

So why are we discussing on this group Steely Dan albums and they are not being released in multi-channel format? Maybe I missed something? The Aja tapes have been missing for how long and Fagen offered a few hundred bucks if anyone could hand them over...ok...

So why are we discussing on this group Steely Dan albums and they are not being released in multi-channel format? Maybe I missed something? The Aja tapes have been missing for how long and Fagen offered a few hundred bucks if anyone could hand them over...ok...
this is the Stereo SACD area of the forum.

So CBAT is currently available as a SACD at Acoustic Sounds - does anyone have any knowledge of the release dates for the remaining Analogue Production SACDs? Don't care about vinyl. It's frustrating how slowly these are being rolled out.

So CBAT is currently available as a SACD at Acoustic Sounds - does anyone have any knowledge of the release dates for the remaining Analogue Production SACDs? Don't care about vinyl. It's frustrating how slowly these are being rolled out.
Message #79 on the prior page.

Message #79 on the prior page.
Yes, I saw that but it doesn't satisfy. What about Countdown To Ecstacy and why are these taking so long to come out. Having said that, CBAT sounds really great so they will all be worth the wait, but I'm impatient.

Yes, I saw that but it doesn't satisfy. What about Countdown To Ecstacy and why are these taking so long to come out. Having said that, CBAT sounds really great so they will all be worth the wait, but I'm impatient.
Ahh, now I see Countdown is finally available as of this weekend. Great!

Finally got access to the site after it giving me errors all day. My CtE is “In Progress” so that’s nice.

I decided that when it comes to this series, I would only pre-order one at a time even though I plan to get them all. I had heard that the SACDs are targeted to come at around the same time as the LPs... “around the same time” being very open to interpretation.

If you haven’t seen the LP schedule, it’s:

Pretzel Logic - July 28
Aja - Sep 29
Gaucho - Dec 1
Katy Lied - Mar 29, 2024
Royal Scam - Jun 28, 2024

Obviously don’t bet too much money on that schedule staying the same, although if true it’s disappointing we’re a year out from the series being complete. Happy that Aja is coming sooner than later, though. Looking forward to Gaucho, too.

I suppose I'll put in a pre-order for Pretzel Logic this weekend and keep my fingers crossed that July is accurate.
Figures…the one I want the most is a year away…😭

Figures…the one I want the most is a year away…😭
There might be some comfort in the fact that anything can change in the schedule for the better. Of course, it could change for the worse, too, but I’m trying to remain hopeful.

It is a curious schedule. I would naturally default to things being released in their original order, but maybe there’s more work involved with certain titles.

Got my ship notice for CtE and it should arrive Thursday.

this is the Stereo SACD area of the forum.

ATMOS, or at least 5.1 please.
Gaucho on DVD-A in surround sound is just plain FANTASTIC.
Fully agree. Some of my best sounding 5.1 discs (I think they are all DVD-A) are the handfull of SD or Donald Fagen MC releases, mostly mixed by Elliot Scheiner. Would love to see the full catalog released in MC. The technology exists (e.g. Revolver?). In the meantime, these stereo SACDs sound very good and I'll take them.

A word of warning to anyone thinking about buying the Countdown to Ecstasy SACD: the final three tracks (My Old School, Pearl of the Quarter and King of the World) are all between 2-3% too fast - enough of a difference to be noticeable if you're familiar with the music - compared to all previous CD reissues.

Perhaps @humprof can chime in here as to which one is "correct", but it's my understanding that the original LP releases of this album in the '70s had this same problem, but when Roger Nichols did the CD reissues in the '80s he corrected the problem, and all subsequent reissues (which apparently stemmed from those early '80s digital transfers) had the slower/longer running times.

A word of warning to anyone thinking about buying the Countdown to Ecstasy SACD: the final three tracks (My Old School, Pearl of the Quarter and King of the World) are all between 2-3% too fast - enough of a difference to be noticeable if you're familiar with the music - compared to all previous CD reissues.

Perhaps @humprof can chime in here as to which one is "correct", but it's my understanding that the original LP releases of this album in the '70s had this same problem, but when Roger Nichols did the CD reissues in the '80s he corrected the problem, and all subsequent reissues (which apparently stemmed from those early '80s digital transfers) had the slower/longer running times.
Over the weekend I did a quick comparison with the Citizen Steely Dan CD I have and the new SACD. If you’re sensitive to pitch changes, listening to the first bar or so of Pearl of the Quarter back to back between the two CDs is very, very noticeable... painfully so. I don’t notice as much on the other two songs.

Those three songs do have the biggest time difference between versions.

Over the weekend I did a quick comparison with the Citizen Steely Dan CD I have and the new SACD. If you’re sensitive to pitch changes, listening to the first bar or so of Pearl of the Quarter back to back between the two CDs is very, very noticeable... painfully so. I don’t notice as much on the other two songs.

Those three songs do have the biggest time difference between versions.
I wasn't aware of that story, no--or of the discrepancy with the new release. Interestingly, the original LP timings seem to comport with the CD timings, so if there was a problem with the master tapes for those three tracks (a problem that AP missed), then Nichols must have corrected it not just for the CD reissues but also for the LP pressings.

Not all of them. Only the first two tracks are missing IIRC.

Back