ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hang on a minute. Of course, later stuff like vol 2 is likely to be recorded on better gear and perhaps had better mastering. She was a bigger act when that later stuff was recorded.

On the other hand, some mono jazz recording from the late '50's sound fantastic.

All that modern equipment isn't helping with much today is it?...modern mastering has taken what advantages the modern equipment had and negated it....the first version Gos posted was mastered by Doug Sax...I have that CD and it is better than a LOT of stereo SACDs I own....maybe Gos will comment on how good the first version was in his opinion...

So having really good DR numbers isn't everything...right?

I feel the need to clarify...when Gos said "not quite as sharp or warm"....don't forget that "great" preceded that remark...in other words the numbers were an indication of a good sounding title....just not quite as good as the previous one :) and let me mention one revision to my buying preference...I've always said that CONTENT is king for me...and that's still true...HOWEVER...I have been forced to revise this slightly....when it involves CDs...content is now second...the DR numbers are my first consideration when thinking about a purchase...there were quite a few new CD titles I was interested in but passed due to the unknown quality of the mastering...I tried buying a few without doing research and got burned...

With NEW surround titles I'm wiling to roll the dice because sometimes a mix can hide the "hot" mastering....

0f69d0ddb0a90f282a95eac6fdf05b47.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching Rave Un2 The Year 2000 on PBS.
Just finished watching Warriors and Raptors (damn) gotta play all 48 Raptors!!!
Shite - my PBS is broadcasting this in stereo and it's a gang beg ta boot.
Anyway great to see/hear Larry Graham & Maceo Parker.
-------------View attachment 40701
My PBS station had it on last night. I had never seen it before. It was pretty awesome. I may have to grab the DVD.

Back