America - Hearts - Audio Fidelity 4.0 Multichannel SACD (Jan 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They played it quite a bit on the AM channels back in the day. But for me, there is little in the America catalog that I'm bored with...I still love it just as much as the 70's. I can't wait to hear Sister G in Quad....

This is gonna be very very good (there's a Quad reel been doing the rounds for years that is tremendous.. how you can improve on that IDK..) but if anyone can do it AF can do it! (y) (y)

Hello,

Look at the tracks on the pic of the Audio Fidelity SACD cover,

Do the Audio Fidelity SACD is missing "Midnight" song?

Original track list:
01. Daisy Jane
02. Half a Man
03. Midnight
04. Bell Tree
05. Old Virginia
06. People in the Valley
07. Company
08. Woman Tonight
09. The Story of a Teenager
10. Sister Golden Hair
11. Tomorrow
12. Seasons

Audio Fidelity Track List:
01. Daisy Jane
02. Half A Man
03. Bell Tree
04. Old Virginia
05. People In The Valley
06. Company
07. Woman Tonight
08. The Story Of A Teenager
09. Sister Golden Hair
10. Tomorrow
11. Seasons

Regards,

Sergio Perez-More

:yikes

Calling Mr. Moura the Multichannel Maven! :p

I can absolutely positively tell you all that the AF SACD indeed has all 12 tracks on the disc.

This is not one of America's best albums, and not the most interesting quad mix either, but that being said I'll buy it for the sonic upgrade (hopefully AF can improve on the Quad reel conversion I have which is already pretty good!)

I can absolutely positively tell you all that the AF SACD indeed has all 12 tracks on the disc.

Right. As rtbluray guessed it's an artwork mockup vs. the actual song list.
All 12 tracks will be on the Multichannel SACD in January 2016.

Right. As rtbluray guessed it's an artwork mockup vs. the actual song list.
All 12 tracks will be on the Multichannel SACD in January 2016.

nailed_it_RE_20th_Century_fox_theme_on_flute-s240x320-227191.jpg
Anyway, looks like this will be a killer disc, so I'm looking forward to it! :)

I definitely think AF can improve on any quad reel conversion, simply because they're working with a tape that is at least two or three generations lower than a commercially available quad reel. The quad reel would probably have come from a lineage that was something like:

15/30 IPS quad master tape -> 15/30 IPS EQ'd duplication master -> 7.5IPS quad reel

It's possible that there was even another tape generation in there if they had to make copies of the duplication master for different tape duplication facilities. I love a quad reel as much (or more) than the next guy but you should see a noticeable increase in fine detail by going back to the original master tape. Also factor in that AF most likely uses very expensive state-of-the-art analog to digital converters when they're digitizing these tapes, which should also yield better results than the mid-grade 'pro-sumer' stuff that most of us mortals have in our computers at home.

And they're legal. If it wasn't for all the bootlegs they'd sell more too.

I think you're right, but there are those who have conversions of reels on DVD-A that still might want the real thing with the graphics and pristine mastering. I have to admit that there are reel conversions out there that sound on par with many legit releases. You have to consider that most commercial quad reels were created in very low quantities so their "distance from master tape" is pretty short.

Today with a home PC and proper software, these can be cleaned up and tweaked far more than a 1970's studio could do, and all for a reasonable price. This is why the quad community so desired those albums that were not available as a reel or even CD-4 because with the proper equipment you can make a damn nice disc for yourself.

The Best of Doors and Hearts will be judged against the converters I'm sure. And just because those conversions are "out there", there are many people who do not deal with downloads of any kind or making their own conversions, so these legit releases are welcome of course.

And besides, a quad reel of "Hearts" will always sell on eBay for far more than $30 list, making the official discs a great deal.

Pre-ordered as well - first time I've pre-order one of these Quad releases off Amazon where there was no real information except a release date and price. Needless-to-say, I would not have pre-ordered had it not been for what I read here.

Thank you!

BTW, today is Thanksgiving Day in the U.S. - A day we spend with family and friends as well as being grateful for what we have and that we don't have to go to work today! Perhaps we also spend the day being grateful for all of the multi-channel goodies we received in 2015 and will hopefully continue to receive in 2016. :)

Andy

Where I work we have an unpaid day off tomorrow too. Yippee! Less Money!

Back