Behold! Rhino's Quadio Bundle #4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyM

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Quadio Bundle #4.png

Bundle Includes:

Donny Hathaway - Extension Of A Man (QUADIO) (BLU-RAY AUDIO)
Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly (QUADIO) (BLU-RAY AUDIO)
Hot Tuna - Burgers (QUADIO) (BLU-RAY AUDIO)
Seals & Crofts - Summer Breeze (QUADIO) (BLU-RAY AUDIO)

Available For The First Time In Nearly 50 Years
Transferred From The Original Half-Inch Four-Channel Masters
Blu-ray With 192/24 Resolution Quadraphonic And Hi-Res Stereo Mixes

Quadraphonic sound, or 4.0 surround sound, utilizes four audio channels connected to four speakers positioned at the corners of a listening space. The multi-tracked audio is mixed dimensional, immersing the listener in an expansive soundscape.

Picked mine up today!

Same as with the other shipments I had to pay HST. Rhino why don't you follow my suggestion and attached a copy of the paid invoice showing that the tax has been paid? This has been an ongoing problem at least since Bundle #1!! I now have to fill in the refund request and wait to get my money back! The other alternative is to stop collecting the HST on Canadian orders!

Picked mine up today!

Same as with the other shipments I had to pay HST. Rhino why don't you follow my suggestion and attached a copy of the paid invoice showing that the tax has been paid? This has been an ongoing problem at least since Bundle #1!! I now have to fill in the refund request and wait to get my money back! The other alternative is to stop collecting the HST on Canadian orders!
I got billed for my Joni order. What do I need to send with the refund request? Order Confirmation email from Rhino?

Purchased and listened to these latest 4 QUAD releases. My observations and opinions -

Each of these 4 albums are not ones I have been familiar with in both the stereo and QUAD releases, so I cannot compare these new releases to anything I have listened to before.

ALL FOUR releases - sounded great to me in their QUAD 2024 releases. The separation sounded equal and of superior quality. In fact, I enjoyed all 4 of them and their musical styles provided me new exposure to tracks I had not heard before in any format. So, I see Rhino's choices made in selecting the 4 releases every quarter...they are definitely trying to provide a broader range of sound and style.

As for technical observations, I noticed Rhino remastered CD4 Quad masters to produce these releases, EXCEPT FOR ONE - the Hot Tuna release. Based on my findings - the only QUAD release for Burgers was on a Q8 (8track) release....instead of CD4 which was used for previous releases...am I correct or was this release using an unreleased CD4 mix?

Overall, I'm enjoying Rhino's QUAD releases every quarter and hope they continue!

I received my bundle Saturday the 18th of May, 2024 I played all four of them twice. The Roberta Flack was by far the best sounding of the four in that not only did it have great quad separation and imaging but the bass was extremely powerful as well as the overall sound of all the instruments including Roberta's voice. I remember this album from the '70s and it is something I wouldn't even consider buying as I was in to War, Earth Wind and Fire, Chicago, the Doobies, and funk and soul music in general. But, this turned out to be a great listen and I could really appreciate the musicianship.

Surprisingly, Hot Tuna was my second favorite sounding Quad, and "Burgers" made me a fan of them. It too had great imaging. I have been seeing this CD all my days and wouldn't think twice about it because I had no interest in it. However, having listened to this Quad, I thought is was very very creative and reminded me of a little bluegrass, rock, and sometimes sounded like the Allman brothers.

Seals and Croft also surprised me. I purchased this for "Summer Breeze" alone, but the overall album was pleasant, and It too, featured great quad and imaging. However, "Summer Breeze" in no way surpassed the rendition done by the Isley Brothers who I feel made this composition their own. Nothing competes with Ronald Isley's guitar solo on that composition.

Finally, I felt Donny Hathaway's disc was the weakest of the bunch, but it was worth the five bucks extra for the disc purchased in a bundle. As someone else observed, this may be the best of the quad bundles. By the way, none of these discs arrived with crack cases.

Last edited:
Picked mine up today!

I fixed the problem by ordering from Warners Music Canada. I got all 4 new Quadios today. It might have taken a little longer than ordering directly from Rhino, but they all came in one package and no extra delivery or tax charges. Worth the wait, IMO.

I fixed the problem by ordering from Warners Music Canada. I got all 4 new Quadios today. It might have taken a little longer than ordering directly from Rhino, but they all came in one package and no extra delivery or tax charges. Worth the wait, IMO.
I thought they were shipping on the 31st? You already got them?

Finally, I felt Donny Hathaway's disc was the weakest of the bunch, but it was worth the five bucks extra for the disc purchased in a bundle. As someone else observed, this may be the best of the quad bundles. By the way, none of these discs arrived with crack cases.
Interesting how different tastes are: the Hathaway was the only one I got after listening to streaming stereo versions of each. The orchestrated tracks were attractive and the playing was enjoyable on the soul arrangements. The quadio just arrived so I look for to hearing it.

Interesting how different tastes are: the Hathaway was the only one I got after listening to streaming stereo versions of each. The orchestrated tracks were attractive and the playing was enjoyable on the soul arrangements. The quadio just arrived so I look for to hearing it.
What's strange is that I am a black guy, but really liked Hot Tuna. I elnjoyed hearing flavors of bluegrass because I got into it because many year ago, a friend of mine was hosting in a house concert, Slocan Ramblers, a bluegrass band from Nova Scotia. They were great. Having heard Donny Hathaway last, it was musically somewhat of a letdown for creativity.

Last edited:
What's strange is that I am a black guy, but really liked Hot Tuna. I elnjoyed hearing flavors of bluegrass because I got into it because many year ago, a friend of mine was hosting in a house concert, Slocan Ramblers, a bluegrass band from Nova Scotia. They were great. Having heard Donny Hathaway last, it was musically somewhat of a letdown for creativity.
Reciting Humpty Dumpty in church does seem a letdown! I think the orchestrations are the most creative part and the arrangements pick up after the church and funk jams although I do enjoy those, especially in quad.

Listening to Burgers on Apple upmixed, the best songs are better than I remembered. However, what I like best are the songs farthest from the front porch blues picking vibe, especially the fuzz bass on Water Song. Well-played and I certainly wouldn't want to keep anyone who likes it from enjoying it.

Back