Bill Bruford in surround!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel really good after reading the post above!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too....and, ImportCD wording is that more copies coming soon. Though, seems like they never had any copies...so not sure what it really means. I probably will hold out for them. I want to unwrap it.......

Mine was waiting for me when I got home last night hope, to get a listen in later today. Really is a nice box, sad about the Doe!...by D only though *sigh* but hey I love me some bruford and it is in surround (y)! Oh and box #750.

The best that I can tell with the vague tracking information that I'm getting, is that it'll be arriving today. Just waiting on the mail truck now - hope I don't have to wait until Monday...

Burning Shed sends a tracking number with the shipping email. Not sure people are aware of that. You can use it to track the package after it enters US territory.

Mine arrived on Saturday as #134. Away from home on phone killing time, so not typing it all out now. Only had time to spin 5.1 One Of a Kind. Need more time with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3946609e34c74d20ef0ebcd103751713.jpg

Well, well. ImportCD has come through for me. Just received shipping notification from them....so I guess I won't need your copy Ryan, though I appreciate the offer. :)
And, I used expedited shipping, so we'll see how quickly I get it.

Received box #0164 today in California.

One design complaint right off the bat: there's no title on the spine of the box! It's completely blank black space. So far, it's the only one of my box sets with a blank spine, so it is recognizable on the shelf, but...

Two and 1/2 tracks in to Feels Good To Me...hmmm...not sure this is 5.1 mix (especially the EQ of the drums, and the added reverb) is working for me....

so, how many have now commented on this title? 1 or 2? Or more? Seems others should easily have this title by now. Mine will arrive tomorrow.

I know those first two albums well. I don't care about 2.0 remixes. I started with track one of the 5.1 Feels Good to Me, and actually gave up partway through the new One of a Kind, my favorite, I was so turned off. Then again, sometimes first impressions give way to better impressions, so I will certainly be trying again. FWIW the reviewer at All About Jazz.com gave it a big thumbs up...but read this carefully for clues to what *I'm* hearing , but liking less (and NB it's not always clear if he's referring to the 5.1 mix, or the 2.0 remix, or a fold-down of the 5.1):

A/B'ing the original mixes with Jakszyk's new ones, one after the other, can be a little disconcerting; the originals were always very bright but a little on the thin side and bass-light,; hearing Jakszyk's approach, which is a great deal warmer, richer and more bass-balanced, might initially feel a touch muddy in direct comparison. But, it only takes a minute or so for the ears to acclimatize and realize, for example, that Bruford's kit and, in particular, his cymbals, have lost none of their crispness...his snare, none of its snap. And with Berlin now more appropriately balanced in the mix, the bassist's stunning work on these two albums, in particular, can now be heard in ways previously not possible.

That 'initially a touch muddy' impression was apparent to me. I was *immediately* dismayed (no need to do a direct comparison). And while you do get acclimated to the new sound, I never got acclimated to the lack of clarity and the recessed nature of the drums in the mix. The cymbals and bass drum are there, but his toms are mud and his snare *has* lost some of its snap. It's not an overall loss of treble -- the top lines of the synths/keys are often plenty crisp -- but seems to be a mix choice. There's something odd about the center channel, perhaps. (Along those lines, when I switched to stereo fold-down of the 5.1, it did sound better/clearer. So now I'm wondering if there is just something fucked up in Jakko's surround monitoring, or did the Dolby encoding get terribly botched?)

I'm not thrilled with how Holdsworth sounds in these mixes either. And what he's done to Annette Peacock is just bizarre.

On top of all that, Jakko has made the mixes 'wetter' (added reverb).

It was all bad-sounding enough that I'm going to re-calibrate my system this weekend to make sure it's not *that* -- I recently upgraded AVR firmware, though the previous Audyssey settings appear intact. And a check of another 5.1 mix -- Wilson's 5.1 remix of XTC's Oranges and Lemons -- sounded plenty snappy. No mud there.

FWIW I never found One of a Kind to be over-bright. The first CD issue of Feels Good To Me *was* over-bright to me, but that was corrected on the 2005 remaster (one of the few actual significant changes in that remaster series)

I hope this was all just 'shock of the new' and the remixes will reveal their charms in future listens...then again, I've rarely gone back to Jakko's wonky remix of Trilogy.

Hell's Bells....ugh. :(

I really like this song, and there's some nice discrete rear activity, but, yeah... the drums sound kind of weak in the mix for a band that stars the drummer... still, I like it:)

...and the center channel is really hot compared to the other channels

I just want to say "One Of A Kind" is a freakin' awesome album and I'm glad I bought this set (I had never heard any Bruford solo stuff before). Unfortunately, I felt the immediate need to mess with it after ripping from the DVD... the drums just sounded recessed in the mix and kind of dull. I tried adjusting various channel levels (the center is louder than all other channels on every song), but that only seemed to make things worse. I eventually found some adjustments that make me very happy: I left all the channel levels as is, then I created a new enhanced LFE channel and enhanced the treble on the remaining 5 channels... the result gives the drums a lot more punch (cymbals and kick sound better... snare still suffers a little). The mix, it turns out, (in terms of surround) is actually very good as is!

FWIW the reviewer at All About Jazz.com gave it a big thumbs up...but read this carefully for clues to what *I'm* hearing , but liking less (and NB it's not always clear if he's referring to the 5.1 mix, or the 2.0 remix, or a fold-down of the 5.1)

FYI the AAJ reviewer wrote on the Hoffman forum that he doesn't have a 5.1 system so he listens to the surround mix folded down to stereo...

BTW, anyone notice that the information has been updated on Burning Shed to accurately reflect what's in this box set?

Feels Good To Me and One Of A Kind are available on both remastered CD and DVD-V, the latter featuring 2017 5.1 mixes by Jakko Jakszyk.

Gatefold 1

- DVD-V 1: Feels Good To Me: 5.1 surround sound and original 1978 mix remastered
- CD 1: 2017 remix from original masters

Gatefold 2

- DVD-V 2: One of a Kind: 5.1 surround sound and original 1979 mix remastered.
- CD 2: 2017 remix from original masters
- Previously unreleased outtake of Five G

Audio resolution on the DVD-Vs is AC3 and not uncompressed.

"Feels Good To Me" sounds really good... nice surround mix, discrete rear activity, and NO urge to mess with it on my part (whew!)... musically, I prefer "One Of A Kind" (so far)

Back