Bill Nelson: Legends, Live at Metropolis Studios

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1679

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Got this in the post the other day. It's part of the "Classic Rock Legends" series where they get the band into a small studio for a select audience of about 125 or so. Others in the series have been Roy Harper, Van der Graaf Generator, Caravan etc.

Anyway, if you don't remember Bill Nelson, he was the leader/mastermind behind Be Bop Deluxe, then Red Noise, then as a solo artist. He's still very active, though rarely plays live so this is a real treat to see. Fans of Fripp and Steven Wilson will probably recognize Theo Travis in Bill's band for this recording "The Gentlemen Rocketeers."

You get a 14 track band set of his "rock song" stuff, and a bonus 4 track "solo" set where Bill (and Theo) use some pre-recorded tracks, doing some of Bill's more atmospheric stuff. Bill is a master with the ebow so it was great to see him use it a few times here.

Audio comes with 2 channel plus 5.1 DTS. Surround mix is not bad....given the intimate setting they went for making you feel like your in the middle of the room...not just audience in the rears....I liked it.

Overall, a nice selection of his 70's and early 80's stuff and the 4 "solo" tracks are a great bonus. Well worth buying if you've ever liked his stuff, and a good into if you haven't.

I have the Roy Harper disc and love it again 2 channel and DTS 5.1 but with solo acoustic guitar this really does not add much. Great picture quaility and wonderfull perfomance from a man who is now 70.

Yes, I highly recommend it too, I got it VERY CHEAP and it's a treat.
I am a regular consumer of all of his instrumental CDs (he also releases vocal ones too)...
Bill is an out of this world performer/great guy!-down to Earth and yet a workaholic!

Back