Bob Dylan "Time Out Of Mind" - SDE Blu-Ray #8

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was at the top of the mountain so I played mine today (through a non-Atmos AVR) and it came out ok in 5.1, sounded good.

Tried to switch with my remote as well.

And nothing , also skipped a few tracks ahead ...still no go. Might be sensitive to my Sony UXB 800 M2 player ....which could be the problem.

No problem with other Atmos switching Bluray discs.

Mine shows up on my 2013 non-Atmos AVR as 5.1 Dolby True HD
My player actually shows Dolby True HD 7.1 but the Receiver reads only prologic.....
I tried two bluray Atmos disc's to confirm , Beatles Let It Be , and Tragically Hip Road Apples...and both when in Atmos mode say Dolby True HD 7.1 , and Dolby Digital 5.1 on my Receiver.

So I'm thinking it's a touch and go authoring type thing for this Dylan Atmos disc.

I will move on. Disappointed but I'm certain other discs will be ok.

After listening to this when it came on Apple Music I decided not to buy it. Noticed it was still possible to buy so I listened som more and decided to order, and it's now on it's way. :)
Based from listening to Apple Music it would have been an 8, will vote when I've listened to the disc version. :cool:

I think the issue is if you have your bluray player plugged into your amp with a coaxial or digital audio cable, then the amp only gets a 2-channel input.
On another older bluray player I got 7.1 but it was connected to my main amp with HDMI.
Never happened to me before but there is always a first.
The thing is, can anyone get a 5.1 or 7.1 input on their amps with a coaxial or digital audio connection?

The thing is, can anyone get a 5.1 or 7.1 input on their amps with a coaxial or digital audio connection?
https://thehometheaterdiy.com/can-digital-optical-send-a-dolby-atmos-signal/
Digital optical doesn’t support Dolby Atmos because it can’t transmit the Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD audio codecs (both of which can contain Dolby Atmos audio). Digital optical cables only support up to 5.1 channels of audio. HDMI is the only method to send/receive signals with Dolby Atmos.

There are a handful of playful moments, including panning, in Atmos. But this is mainly a static mix of fairly constant parts.
Sort of that "in the studio with the band" sound.
Suits me.

I actually prefer the "sound" of the original album. Hearing everything naked is cool, but this can't replace the original mix, for me.
I haven’t heard this album before (my Bluray is as yet unplayed) but this comment proves what I suspected: I need the regular CD with Lanois’ work on it too.

https://thehometheaterdiy.com/can-digital-optical-send-a-dolby-atmos-signal/
Digital optical doesn’t support Dolby Atmos because it can’t transmit the Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD audio codecs (both of which can contain Dolby Atmos audio). Digital optical cables only support up to 5.1 channels of audio. HDMI is the only method to send/receive signals with Dolby Atmos.
I know Dolby Atmos cannot be played via a coaxial or digital cable but all my other blurays, films or music, can be played in 5.1. This one cannot.

Listened to the Atmos version as 5.1 surround.

It's an immaculate recording, and there's occasional fun surround-ness. But remixing it to sound 'normal', as was done purposely here, just makes the tracks sound....unmysterious. I'll mostly keep playing original mix (upmixed) and this will be a rare curiosity-listen.

I'd like to hear a surround remix that kept the swampy, otherwordly ambience of the original. I don't expect that to ever happen in my lifetime, though.

I am listening now to SDE #8 now and it is excellent. Dolby Atmos is not in your face but the sheer beauty of the recording in the Atmos bubble is sublime.
I love this. I listen to Dylan all the time and usually at a moderate listening volume. My suggestion to you is to give it a good volume punch to really bring out the Atmos. It is recorded so well, there will be no ear fatigue or uncomfortableness at a higher volume.
Good job SDE.

Last edited:
I haven’t heard this album before (my Bluray is as yet unplayed) but this comment proves what I suspected: I need the regular CD with Lanois’ work on it too.
Playing the Bluray now in 2.0.
First thought: Great album.
Secondly, I think it sounds good, I can actually tell what he’s saying in that world weary voice.
I still intend to get the Lanois version but suspect it’ll be one of those case where I like both flavours.

Playing the Bluray now in 2.0.
First thought: Great album.
Secondly, I think it sounds good, I can actually tell what he’s saying in that world weary voice.
I still intend to get the Lanois version but suspect it’ll be one of those case where I like both flavours.
Try playing the Atmos mix in stereo, it sounds a lot better than the standard stereo - mainly as the mastering hasn’t unnecessarily compressed the sound. It’s a much more comfortable listen and sounds better at high volume.

After discovering this I won’t be playing the standard stereo tracks again.

This is "10" alright - I love the Atmos mix! Only drawback, is that this is the first SDE disc I've purchased, which doesn't automatically default to the multichannel mix, upon loading. The authoring of the disc forces you you to select audio from the menu first. So I have to fire up the projector first. Darn.

Back