Chicago Quadio - 9 Quad Albums on Blu-ray Audio.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they're going to do that though, Ryan, it doesn't need to be encouraged - wouldn't you agree with that?

Amen to that. The only box set I want from the EAGLES is a small Chicago~like box FILLED with ALL the Eagles 4.0/5.1 remasters on BD~A at a NICE PRICE!

Oh I agree, but I'm definitely not advertising that idea at all to those who were involved with this set.
When emailing them my thanks, I'm concentrating squarely on the Doobie Brothers set as the best follow-up idea.
It's lower hanging fruit than the Eagles, but it's still just as sweet IMHO. :)

The album release boxes have been done for LP and CD, so that would make a box like this perfect right now - with the first blu-ray appearances of Hotel California, Hell Freezes Over, and just maybe, that surround mix of The Long Run...

How about EAGLES: QUADIO plus

The existing 5.1 mixes would be a lot more cost effective to add, and if they released such a box without them (stereo only) everyone would bitch "Why didn't they put the HC 5.1 in there with the box?" I can hear it now.

No, a quad box is a quad box. Adding more albums which have already been released in surround just adds to the cost, rather than being cost effective. Then you add Hell Freezes Over and you are really padding out what was a great 4 disc set.

Give me the rare, and hard to get quads - all four of them and I'm happiest.

No, a quad box is a quad box. Adding more albums which have already been released in surround just adds to the cost, rather than being cost effective. Then you add Hell Freezes Over and you are really padding out what was a great 4 disc set.

Give me the rare, and hard to get quads - all four of them and I'm happiest.

Okay, then. When the Quadio Plus box gets released, you can go ahead and be stubborn, and the rest of us will keep you informed of how great it all is...

Ok, seriously, the rhetoric is getting a little too heated in this thread once again, so let me just say this:

We ALL have our ideas of what we think is best for how to continue the Quadio program with more releases like this Chicago set, however, nothing of what we say actually means jackshit to the label.
We ALL have our conceptions of how we think things should be, but the vast majority of the time, things don't always pan out as we would like them to anyway.

The only thing that matters right now is that we all purchase this Chicago set, and if we like it, we let Rhino and Warner Music know that. We can always request that more titles and box sets be released, but apart from that, it's completely out of our hands.

So with that being said, it would be really great if we didn't belittle each other over what anyone has to say about the future of Quadio.
Debate over what is the best way to move forward is welcomed, but I guarantee you, if the rhetoric gets too heated, someone will step in again and wipe the slate clean (aka delete posts). I don't want that, and no one else should either, so let's not let things get out of hand, OK?
Thank you kindly.

Ok, seriously, the rhetoric is getting a little too heated in this thread once again, so let me just say this:

We ALL have our ideas of what we think is best for how to continue the Quadio program with more releases like this Chicago set, however, nothing of what we say actually means jackshit to the label.
We ALL have our conceptions of how we think things should be, but the vast majority of the time, things don't always pan out as we would like them to anyway.

The only thing that matters right now is that we all purchase this Chicago set, and if we like it, we let Rhino and Warner Music know that. We can always request that more titles and box sets be released, but apart from that, it's completely out of our hands.

So with that being said, it would be really great if we didn't belittle each other over what anyone has to say about the future of Quadio.
Debate over what is the best way to move forward is welcomed, but I guarantee you, if the rhetoric gets too heated, someone will step in again and wipe the slate clean (aka delete posts). I don't want that, and no one else should either, so let's not let things get out of hand, OK?
Thank you kindly.

There was nothing heated in my response; I was just giving him a little jab. I'm just not one to use little smiley faces and stuff like that. So, relax - don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

I received good news from Dr. Rhino today regarding the stereo layer defects on II and IX:

Thank you for your email.

Our production department has advised that replacement discs are being created.

I will update you when they become available.

I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Dr. Rhino

I received good news from Dr. Rhino today regarding the stereo layer defects on II and IX:

Thank you for your email.

Our production department has advised that replacement discs are being created.

I will update you when they become available.

I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Dr. Rhino

That might bring some peace in the village(SHF)

Just thinking out loud... is it possible that when a record company has to replace hundreds/thousands of discs because of defective sound layers, could this contribute to less likelihood of future surround releases? I imagine it must eat up quite a bit of their profit, but I really have no idea how much. Surround sound is such a niche market with relatively few products sold as compared to a major redbook CD release... I wonder if the producers of these discs ever regret putting out the product once they get complaints from audiophiles who want replacements? I agree that a surround release should be free of mistakes, but I can't help thinking that some of these releases are "labors of love" (in addition to profit), and that it must be a bummer for the people involved with a surround sound release to hear complaints about the product and have to send out replacement discs (as with the AF "Sly and the Family Stone" SACD or with this Chicago release). I think people who pay for a product and receive a defective product deserve a replacement... I just hope such complaints don't derail the Quadio effort again! (personally, I never requested a replacement for my Sly SACD, and won't be requesting replacements for my Chicago Quadios either!)

Just thinking out loud... is it possible that when a record company has to replace hundreds/thousands of discs because of defective sound layers, could this contribute to less likelihood of future surround releases? I imagine it must eat up quite a bit of their profit, but I really have no idea how much. Surround sound is such a niche market with relatively few products sold as compared to a major redbook CD release... I wonder if the producers of these discs ever regret putting out the product once they get complaints from audiophiles who want replacements? I agree that a surround release should be free of mistakes, but I can't help thinking that some of these releases are "labors of love" (in addition to profit), and that it must be a bummer for the people involved with a surround sound release to hear complaints about the product and have to send out replacement discs (as with the AF "Sly and the Family Stone" SACD or with this Chicago release). I think people who pay for a product and receive a defective product deserve a replacement... I just hope such complaints don't derail the Quadio effort again! (personally, I never requested a replacement for my Sly SACD, and won't be requesting replacements for my Chicago Quadios either!)

It certainly doesn't help matters...I have no idea what the financial impact is but there is no way to "spin it" that it's helpful...I won't bother with a replacement...what I didn't like was people getting the replacement for Sly when it didn't even affect them... but opted for it because it was free and seeing them being sold on Ebay didn't sit well with me..when you have to come on here and ask what was wrong with something that you already gave a high vote on the poll...that is just wrong IMO...it is what it is...I just hope the sales are robust...I hate to even mention my feelings about these type of issues because there are a few people on here that have massive entitlement issues...everything from free speech to how much things should cost(even though they have no idea of the operating costs)...

It certainly doesn't help matters...I have no idea what the financial impact is but there is no way to "spin it" that it's helpful...I won't bother with a replacement...what I didn't like was people getting the replacement for Sly when it didn't even affect them... but opted for it because it was free and seeing them being sold on Ebay didn't sit well with me..when you have to come on here and ask what was wrong with something that you already gave a high vote on the poll...that is just wrong IMO...it is what it is...I just hope the sales are robust...I hate to even mention my feelings about these type of issues because there are a few people on here that have massive entitlement issues...everything from free speech to how much things should cost(even though they have no idea of the operating costs)...

100% agree. If there is some damn flaw with my copy of Quadio, I will never know it. Ugh......no plans to pursue. It only waters down their income, which waters down chances of future releases....which totally pisses me off.

I don't think it has as much of an impact on future surround releases as we think it does.
The biggest impact has been and always will be sales. If they didn't at least break even on a release, chances are not as high that similar releases will follow.
And furthermore, I think some of us are conflating complaints about differences of opinion with legitimate errors that need to be corrected.
If someone wants a replacement copy because they say the mastering 'sux' (too much bright EQ, overcompressed, not enough stereo width, etc.) then that's their problem, and the label should not concede based on complaints like that.
If however there is a major error present on a disc (like a stereo mix getting folded down to mono, or glitches like the one present on the "Thick as a Brick" DVD) then the consumer absolutely has the right to bring the error to the label's attention and demand a replacement, which the label should provide at no additional cost to the consumer.
From what I can tell, Rhino are doing the right thing, and so there's no complaints from me about how they are handling this. (I will be requesting replacement copies of the relevant discs once they are made available.) :)

Let me be clear - if there were a problem with the Quad layer...I'd be kicking and screaming. But the stereo layer? Nah. I'm a surround guy, not a stereo guy...when given the option.

Down boys, let's not nit-pick concepts. It's all fantasy. Chill. Relax. Listen to Chicago Quadio. Everything else is just bullshitting.

Interestingly enough, while the 'mono' issue on Side 2 of "Chicago (II)" also affects "Colour My World" on IX, the IX edit of "Make Me Smile" is in proper stereo.
And honestly, after hearing the difference between Side 2 and the rest of the stereo mix of II, I can see why some aren't happy that this error was made.
While the main focus for me (and for the vast majority of us on here) are the Quad mixes, checking out portions of the set's stereo mixes tonight reminded me how good these Chicago records sound in stereo, particularly on headphones.
The lack of depth and clean separation on Side 2 becomes fairly obvious when going from Side 1 to Side 2 and then onto Side 3 when we're back to stereo, especially since these stereo mixes make use of extreme side panning.
Anyway, that's my $0.02 for what it's worth (practically nothing to a lot of you, but I'm OK with that…) ;)

The Yes Progeny cd boxset from Rhino also had defects where they had to manufacture replacments, but only in terms of disc labelling, so their quality control department does seem to be a bit lacking unfortunately.

Ordered! Apparently I have to wait till July 15. Anyway, better late than never!
This will be the first new purchases to test my new Oppo! I listened to some older items yet, and I'm really impressed.

They could have done that, but I'm really glad they didn't, and the reason why is because I like how they reproduced each album's gatefold artwork and additional paraphernalia exactly as the vinyl releases were when they first came out.
Yes, they could have done more to fill out the Blu-Ray space by including audio extras, but in this instance, I could care less about that, because Rhino did exactly what we wanted them to do.
They gave us great masters of the original stereo & Quadraphonic mixes in their highest resolution, so that in itself was all we really needed, and we got it! :)
Yep. Like a nicely dressed lady, presentation always matters.

Separate discs are essential to the quality of the boxed set here.

Back