Chicago Quadio - 9 Quad Albums on Blu-ray Audio.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the cleanup, Jon.

If it helps, here's a list I have compiled of classic Quad mixes from artists on the Rhino label. This was made using these sites:
http://www.surrounddiscography.com and http://www.rhino.com/artists

All of the titles below have never been released in a newer format, and they should all be under the control of Warner Music/Rhino Records:

“Toulouse Street”, “The Captain & Me”, “What Once Were Vices Are Now Habits” and “Stampede” by The Doobie Brothers
“On the Border” and “One of These Nights” by the Eagles
“Tres Hombres” by ZZ Top
“Billion Dollar Babies” by Alice Cooper
“Holiday” by America
“Gorilla” and “One Man Dog” by James Taylor
“Late for the Sky” by Jackson Browne
“Hotcakes”, “No Secrets”, “Playing Possum”, “Best Of…”, and “Carly Simon”
“Court & Spark” and “The Hissing of Summer Lawns” by Joni Mitchell
“Baby I’m A Want You” by Bread
“Judith” by Judy Collins
“Cold on the Shoulder” and “Sundown” by Gordon Lightfoot
“Hold On, I’m Comin”, “Push Push”, and “Reggae” by Herbie Mann
“Live at the Fillmore West” by Aretha Franklin
“Killing Me Softly” by Roberta Flack
“The Divine Miss M” by Bette Midler

So users should focus on requesting titles like these and not other titles under the control of other labels. :)

Jon, I accept that you have more insight into the matter than me. Unfortunately, the Aretha title was bombed out at $17.99; and at other times with other large discounts. So even if the sales figures for the Aretha title did not affect the original Quadio program, my concern remains that companies such as Warner et al will want to see big sales numbers for items like this Chicago Quadio box in order to maintain interest in the format. So all I ask is that they choose their future titles carefully no matter who the artist.

Also, no dislike whatsoever on this end for Aretha or Streisand. Both super-great talents.
It will be interesting to see what the sales figures of this set are. It is a 9-disc set priced at over $100.00. And one aimed primarily at the surround sound market.

It's all a matter of meeting expectations. I wonder what they hoped to sell and if there is a goal attached to the idea of future releases.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the quad catalog Rhino has access to is all that extensive. But maybe good success for them will encourage other labels to follow suit.

It will be interesting to see what the sales figures of this set are. It is a 9-disc set priced at over $100.00. And one aimed primarily at the surround sound market.

It's all a matter of meeting expectations. I wonder what they hoped to sell and if there is a goal attached to the idea of future releases.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the quad catalog Rhino has access to is all that extensive. But maybe good success for them will encourage other labels to follow suit.

Actually, There were quite a few R/W albums that were remixed into 5.1 but NEVER released commercially: The Cars, Neil Young's After the Gold Rush, a few Madonna albums, CSNY, Stephen Stills 1st album, 2 Sinatra albums (unfortunaterly NOW owned by the Sinatra Family trust) and probably nameless others that were canned when Rhino/Warner ceased DVD~A production.

As for the Chicago Quadio sales figures.....Even if they break even, IMO, it still might encourage future releases and let's face it, the mixing was already done so it was just a matter of transferring them to BD~A.

Now how about a Carly Simon BD~A boxset (with all 5 albums intact) or would that be a No Go since MoFi just released her albums as Stereo SACDs?

And thanks to Ryan (rt) for taking the time to compile the Rhino/Warner QUAD listing. I, for one, would buy them ALL!

Actually, There were quite a few R/W albums that were remixed into 5.1 but NEVER released commercially: The Cars, Neil Young's After the Gold Rush, a few Madonna albums, CSNY, Stephen Stills 1st album, 2 Sinatra albums (unfortunaterly NOW owned by the Sinatra Family trust) and probably nameless others that were canned when Rhino/Warner ceased DVD~A production.

As for the Chicago Quadio sales figures.....Even if they break even, IMO, it still might encourage future releases and let's face it, the mixing was already done so it was just a matter of transferring them to BD~A.

Now how about a Carly Simon BD~A boxset (with all 5 albums intact) or would that be a No Go since MoFi just released her albums as Stereo SACDs?

And thanks to Ryan (rt) for taking the time to compile the Rhino/Warner QUAD listing. I, for one, would buy them ALL!

That'd be great if the released all those 5.1 titles. All the previously released ones as well! Wouldn't fit under the "Quadio" label though, would it?

The MOFI Stereo SACD releases definitely do not preclude Rhino from putting together a Carly Simon Quadio box set if they wanted to, but I still think it would be wisest for them to go with the Doobie Brothers next, then go to Carly after that. :)

So why does it say "Rhino Stereo" on the spines of all the album covers instead of "Rhino Quadraphonic"? Lol

Quadraphonic was a proprietary copyrighted Columbia surround designation. Warner chose the CD~4 Quadradisc designation....which IS on all the Chicago BD~As.

The MOFI Stereo SACD releases definitely do not preclude Rhino from putting together a Carly Simon Quadio box set if they wanted to, but I still think it would be wisest for them to go with the Doobie Brothers next, then go to Carly after that. :)

How about BOTH, Ryan? Why choose....but ultimately, it's up to Rhino/Warner and contingent on how well the Chicago Quadio boxset sells...I would assume.

Let's NOT put the cart before the horse....even though it's TEMPTING!

How about BOTH, Ryan?

Released at the same time? That could prove to be expensive, but it's definitely better than just getting one or the other.
(Then again if they do release a Doobie Brothers set, then that's really all that matters to me, along with the two Eagles Quad albums. Everything else is lagniappe to me.) :)

Released at the same time? That could prove to be expensive, but it's definitely better than just getting one or the other.
(Then again if they do release a Doobie Brothers set, then that's really all that matters to me, along with the two Eagles Quad albums. Everything else is lagniappe to me.) :)

We have to first of all ascertain whether the Chicago Quadio boxset WAS borne out of an artist REQUEST (to celebrate Chicago's induction into the R&R Hall of Fame) or a conscious decision on the part of RHINO....or, both.

I'm sure if the Doobies, Eagles or Carly Simon had similar requests, Rhino would acquiesce but that's a BIG IF. As we ALL know, Rhino/Warner has not exactly been forthcoming with Surround titles and in the back of our heads we're ALL rooting for a Round II....but as we've ALL learned, what QQers want, QQers don't always get!

We have to first of all ascertain whether the Chicago Quadio boxset WAS borne out of an artist REQUEST (to celebrate Chicago's induction into the R&R Hall of Fame) or a conscious decision on the part of RHINO....or, both.

I'm sure if the Doobies, Eagles or Carly Simon had similar requests, Rhino would acquiesce but that's a BIG IF. As we ALL know, Rhino/Warner has not exactly been forthcoming with Surround titles and in the back of our heads we're ALL rooting for Round II....but as we've ALL learned, what QQers want, QQers don't always get!

Sounds like plans for this box preceded the announcement that Chicago would be in the HOF by a few months. I have no idea what the band's involvement was.

But I didn't I read somewhere (this forum most likely) that the Eagles were specifically opposed to the idea of their old quad mixes being rereleased?

Sounds like plans for this box preceded the announcement that Chicago would be in the HOF by a few months. I have no idea what the band's involvement was.

But I didn't I read somewhere (this forum most likely) that the Eagles were specifically opposed to the idea of their old quad mixes being rereleased?

Regarding your second statement concerning the Eagles....I think you're right. Perhaps we should start an email campaign to the Eagles website and DEMAND release of ALL their QUAD/5.1 titles. Maybe it might twist some heads.

I'm sure many Eagle bandmates have NOT heard those QUADS in years and based their opinion on the terrible CD~4 pressings (and lackluster equipment of the day).

Regarding your second statement concerning the Eagles....I think you're right. Perhaps we should start an email campaign to the Eagles website and DEMAND release of ALL their QUAD/5.1 titles. Maybe it might twist some heads.
Unless doing so inspires Don Henley to be even more adamant about not releasing them....

Unless doing so inspires Don Henley to be even more adamant about not releasing them....

One of my very favorite DTS albums was Don Henley's The End Of The Innocence. It really expanded the soundstage immeasurably. I believe it was also one of the first DTS albums to include a rear CENTER channel (6.1 as it was billed). Maybe we could include that little tidbit in our email 'campaign?'

LINK REMOVED

I'm sure if the Doobies, Eagles or Carly Simon had similar requests, Rhino would acquiesce but that's a BIG IF. As we ALL know, Rhino/Warner has not exactly been forthcoming with Surround titles and in the back of our heads we're ALL rooting for a Round II....but as we've ALL learned, what QQers want, QQers don't always get!

They may have planned the exact release date around Chicago's recent Rock Hall induction but we know now from Craig Anderson's blog post that work began on this box set around February of last year, so it's taken quite a while for it to come to fruition, but thank goodness for that, because they really got it spot on!
Chicago either supported the release of the box set or they at least didn't oppose it, and that's really all we need going forward, artists that will not oppose similar Quadio releases from Rhino. The Doobie Brothers and Carly Simon probably wouldn't be opposed to such releases, but the Eagles? Good luck, Rhino's gonna need it...

"QUADRAPHONIC" was not a CBS or Columbia trade mark. The use of the word surrounded by the SQ Logo clouds was, as was the SQ Logo itself. The word QUADRAPHONIC can be found on most of the quad albums released by all labels in the '70s, including WEA, RCA, ABC Command, Project 3, ARISTA, etc.

Quadraphonic was used by WEA, as well as Quadrophonic, and even a few with Quadriphonic! You can find WB Q8's with both spellings. On the front of the Quadio Box the spelling they chose was QUADROPHONIC. The term "Quadradisc" is by definition a CD-4 record album, and is the trademark of JVC/RCA. The people at Rhino, as I posted way back, probably have no clue what a CD-4 Discrete Quadradisc really is.

Putting STEREO on the splines of the Quadio Box probably is just a way to keep the confusion down on the product indicating that QUADIO does in fact have the stereo tracks involved, unlike the original 2 Quadio releases, CTA and Aretha.

Back