Chicago Quadio - 9 Quad Albums on Blu-ray Audio.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was an oversight. As WM Japan had issued SHM CDs of the Kath-era cds, the artwork files were were requested and received from Japan and adjusted for these BDs.
So close....

Welcome to the forum Steve, and thanks for chiming in. I trust you will be treated with the respect you so deserve.

Thanks Jon!

Glad the set is so well-received here.

Are you kidding. That box is an amazing gift that came out of nowhere to us. We were hoping to maybe get another Chicago Quadio or two but never dreamed we'd get the whole lot. As the producer of this set, we owe you our gratitude and a huge "Great Job"

I hope you don't mind the enthusiastic suggestions that have appeared here from our membership. If they get out of hand, you'll have to understand it's from enthusiasm and joy.

The Chicago Quadio set was a crazy idea that miraculously got the green light from the head of WMG Catalog. I'm still stunned it came into being.

ForagingRhino, what MAY have started out as a crazy idea escalated into one of the utter delights of this or ANY year for surround0philes EVERYWHERE! With over 8K members strong and growing and catering to numerous non members everyday, we, at QuadraphonicQuadforum applaud your efforts and as an aside, I hope this will signal a further interest on the part of Rhino/Warner to dig deeper into your nascent QUAD catalog and release MORE.

With ALL the many Universal Disc players already in place, there has been a renewed interest in Surround Music and even though sales figures may not INSTANTANEOUSLY indicate the scope ..... over time almost ALL of the DVD~As and SACDs produced during the early 00 boom have sold out and are commanding big bucks in the Out Of Print marketplace.

With that in mind, I hope you can be influential in alerting RHINO to the IMMENSE service they would be doing our growing surround community by releasing MORE Quad and 5.1 material from your vaults.

Again, MANY THANKS for posting on this forum and I can almost guarantee you that the exceptional Chicago Quadio boxset will prove to be a giant success.

Thanks Jon!

This set has dethroned the Dark Side Of The Moon blu ray on our polls, and has done so in convincing style. On a scale of 1 to 10(with 10 being the highest score)the Chicago set has 39 10 votes out of 40 votes(and a lot of people haven't received their sets yet)check this out

Please thank anyone that was associated with this excellent set, they certainly have our respect(y) I would buy as many of these as you can release:banana:

The Chicago Quadio set was a crazy idea that miraculously got the green light from the head of WMG Catalog. I'm still stunned it came into being.

Well, if such a massive box set could get green lit, and of course it recoups within a reasonable length of time, it stands to reason that smaller box sets, or individual Quadio releases in the future should not be out of the question. I'm stunned as well.

The Audio Fidelity label has recently (also) issued SACDs with a quad surround layer using masters licensed from various major labels. Most of them have been met with positive feedback. I hope you get a chance to hear some of what they have released. For all the horror stories of lost and weather beaten master tapes, there seems to be many cases where the quad or 4.0 tapes are in outstanding condition, and seem to be just waiting for their higher resolution rebirth. Check out Earth Wind and Fire's "Open Our Eyes" as a good example of this.

Thanks for dropping in, and I hope we see you again and of course some more Quadio presentations as the market permits.

Are you kidding. That box is an amazing gift that came out of nowhere to us. We were hoping to maybe get another Chicago Quadio or two but never dreamed we'd get the whole lot. As the producer of this set, we owe you our gratitude and a huge "Great Job"

I hope you don't mind the enthusiastic suggestions that have appeared here from our membership. If they get out of hand, you'll have to understand it's from enthusiasm and joy.

Gotta echo Jon's sentiments. You can't imagine what a joy this box has been for me as someone who had the quad 8 Tracks in the 70's and throughout the years. The quality of these discs are greater than I could have ever hoped for. This will always be one of my most cherished collections. So thank you for that! I can only keep my fingers crossed that the powers that be are happy enough with the results and sales of this box that they find their way to do more in the future.

Gotta echo Jon's sentiments. You can't imagine what a joy this box has been for me as someone who had the quad 8 Tracks in the 70's and throughout the years. The quality of these discs are greater than I could have ever hoped for. This will always be one of my most cherished collections. So thank you for that! I can only keep my fingers crossed that the powers that be are happy enough with the results and sales of this box that they find their way to do more in the future.

Come to think of it, Bob, ALL the great Hi Res surround boxes in the Rock world [with the exception of Genesis] came from Warner/Rhino: The Doors Perception Box, The Talking Heads Brick, Björk Surrounded and now The Chicago Quadio boxset. While NOT technically a boxset, Rhino/Warner also released 8 R.E.M. Albums as MLP DVD~A 5.1/RBCD sets, as well. R.E.M.'s Document was also a DVD~A but was released on the i.r.s. label. Ah, yes, then there were the Depeche Mode DTS 5.1 remasters [a dozen or so] But in all honesty, the European Depeche Mode SACDs were superior (IMO). http://hraudio.net/search.php? htt...che+Mode&page=2format=0&keywords=Depeche+Mode

http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=3709

I ordered the Quadio box in May from ImportCDs.com. I was limited in choice by which companies shipped to Australia. It shipped a few days before the official release date and arrived exactly a week later. Unfortunately the 4th disc 'Chicago V' was defective or damaged with a tear on the disc and would not play. All the other discs were fine. Considering the thousands of CD's, DVD's and BluRays I have bought over the years, its only the 2nd time since the 80's I've experienced a fault on a disc. Unfortunately it had to be this set. Strangely its the 2nd issue I've had with a Rhino boxset in the last year. The 'Fare Thee Well' BluRay box set had a wrong mislabled last disc in the set. In my case it was a duplicate of the 2nd half of the third concert instead of the extras. As it was only the extras I wasn't too concerned. I notified dead.net where I purchased it, but to date have heard nothing. Apparently a lot of people had mislabeled discs in that set if you read the dead.net forums. One wonders at the quality control.

ImportCDs have instructed me to return the whole set, which will be refunded and have said they will pay me for the postage (which was $US34). I reluctantly did this today. They have not said if they will resend the set (even though I have asked several times) or only refund it, so I don't know what happens now. I don't know whether to reorder it or not. I don't blame ImportCds as the box was sealed as from the factory and their service has so far been fair. I can't complain too much about the outcome although the communication has been sparse and lagged.

I'm off to Europe for 3 months in a couple of weeks so it won't be much good to me coming here and I would have to pay clearance on it there (above E28). I'll wait to see what happens when it gets back to the warehouse. I guess if it doesn't turn up in the next two weeks I'll have to order it from Italy. Will probably end up with two.

I almost felt I could do without Chicago V as I have thought the DVD-A was one of the best surround mixes in my HiRes collection.

All in All very sad.

For the discs that played and heard once, the quality was outstanding. The sound quality was incredible. What a fabulous release. In terms of difference in mix the standout for me was the first track on Chicago VI 'Critics Choice'. Very different to the stereo mix. CTA seemed a little thinner than the others but sounded far superior to the DVD. I never owned Chicago VIII or X back in the day so I will have to wait to learn them. Something to look forward to. The mix on 'Saturday in The Park' sounded extordinary on the 'Greatest Hits' disc, so I look I hoping that waiting out another set with a working Chicago V will have been worth it.

The whole Quadraphonic idea is a crazy one and yet people are still obsessed by it and talking about it over forty years later.

Please pass on our most sincere thanks to the team involved with the project. The set is a thing of beauty and a labour of love, as is the case with so many of the Rhino releases. This one is the cherry on top. We can only hope that sales for this set are good enough for the head of WMG to consider greenlighting other such crazy ideas.

Chicago Quadio is crazy CRAZY CRAZY GOOD!!!! :wave

Thank you so much for this fantastic QUADRAPHONIC Bluray Audio box set!!!!

We would all be thrilled to have more Quadraphonic releases from RHINO.

Thanks Jon!

We are so glad you came by the forum - you cannot believe the excitement we all had when we first heard about Chicago Quadio....it's a very well made box set that is just visually stunning. I have only been able to listen to a few songs and cannot wait to hear it in full when time presents itself. As many others have said, while we LOVE the Chicago set, it only makes us crave more exciting releases from big name players. We hope there is enough sales to justify further releases such as this one. Congratulations on a job very well done!

Hi Steve, welcome to QQ. And thank you and the head of WMG Catalog for making this set happen. It is a great set with lots of things to discover, especially for people who have not grown up in the quad era.

Hi Steve!
Thanks for joining us!
I can definitely say that this Quadio box set from Chicago is the best reissue of classic 70s Quad material that's ever been released, and it also ranks very highly among the best surround releases ever released IMO (and that includes newer 5.1 mixes too)
The decision to release this set on Blu-Ray (instead of DVD-V) was definitely the right one because the lossless encoding really does make the material shine at its very brightest! Plus I also have to commend Craig (Anderson) for his simple, yet very tasteful authoring work that works so well for those of us who prefer 'headless operation' (without a TV), and the auto-play of the Quad mix along with the ability to switch streams with the colored buttons is something that more Blu-Ray authoring engineers should be doing! (Some do, some don't)

Finally, I also want to thank you for your excellent work a few years ago on the "Moondance" deluxe edition. Having that 5.1 mix finally liberated from the vaults on high-res Blu-Ray produced another one of the best releases of the last few years, so once again, thanks for taking the time to also get that release as right as it could be!
Like everyone else, I certainly hope that there will be more high-res surround releases from Warner/Rhino in the months and years to come (and that includes releasing both Quad and 5.1 mixes) but for now, I'm gonna enjoy the heck out of these releases as they truly represent some of the best that have ever come to pass!

Cheers!
Ryan
:)

Back