Crack The Sky : All Access 5.1 Video DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Squires Jr

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
For fans of the West Virginia based rock band "Crack The Sky", they have a live DVD out,
filmed in Pittsburgh, PA and in Glenside, PA - in HD and mixed in stereo and 5.1 surround sound.
The disc is available from their website. If you've never heard of them... you should!

-Bob

I've loved Crack the Sky for a long time. They never made it big all over the country. That's because when their first album hit, it created alot of buzz. Shortly thereafter, out of no where, John Polumbo, grew a big fat head and quit the group (at the worst possible time). The next few albums weren't as strong as the first. Polumbo came back. Where else did he think he could go? They changed a few other members. For some reason CTS was big in my area (Baltimore and also Philly). I didn't know about W. Virginia. I have had the priveledge of seeing them in several intimate settings here around Baltimore. 1 place was the Jarrettsville Inn. Small & intimate. I sat about 12 feet away from them. Amazing. Why CTS only seemed to make it around here, is beyond me. I really blame John Polumbo for quitting the group at a pivotal time. It reminds me of Van Halen, when suddenly at their peak, David Lee Ross left the group. The other guys were stunned; didn't know where to go from there.Luckily, they connected with Sammy Hager (for 10 years). They fought & broke up because of the Greatest Hits album. The band wanted to do it, and Sammy would have no parts of it. Afrer sammy Van Halen had a really sucky singer (only lasted for 1 album). DLR began his solo career and fell flat on his face. (he deserved it). His records just didn't sell. Van Halen hated him for that, and they never would let him back into the group. I didn't know whatever became of David Lee Ross, but a few years ago he appeared on a 4th of July special on TV. He played with a new group and it was pathetic. I actually felt sorry for him. He looked terrible as well. Merely a shadow of how I remembered him. Sad, very sad.

... It reminds me of Van Halen, when suddenly at their peak, David Lee Ross left the group. The other guys were stunned; didn't know where to go from there.Luckily, they connected with Sammy Hager (for 10 years). They fought & broke up because of the Greatest Hits album. The band wanted to do it, and Sammy would have no parts of it. Afrer sammy Van Halen had a really sucky singer (only lasted for 1 album). DLR began his solo career and fell flat on his face. (he deserved it). His records just didn't sell. Van Halen hated him for that, and they never would let him back into the group. I didn't know whatever became of David Lee Ross, but a few years ago he appeared on a 4th of July special on TV. He played with a new group and it was pathetic. I actually felt sorry for him. He looked terrible as well. Merely a shadow of how I remembered him. Sad, very sad.

I don't know who this David Lee Ross fellow is, but David Lee Roth toured with Van Halen in 2008 and rumor has it http://www.hitfix.com/articles/van-halen-with-david-lee-roth-recording-a-new-album that Van Halen (Eddie, Alex, Eddie's son Wolfgang and Roth) is preparing to go into the studio to record a new album.

Elmer: If you don't know David Lee Roth, then you don't know Van Halen. He was their wildly sucessful singer & founding member. The only other successful singer that they had was Sammy Hager, who quit after 10 years because he was against them coming out with their Greatest Hits Disc.No sweat off Sammy's back as he still has a very successful Solo career for many years and he is still enjoying the Cabo Wabo lifestyle. I saw Sammy live a long time ago when he opened for the Legendary Rock group, Boston. Great concert. Gary Sharone the singer after Sammy's departure was terrible, and they got rid of him after one Record.
" David Lee Roth with Van Halen in 2008

Credit: AP Photo
Van Halen -- with classic vocalist David Lee Roth -- came back together for some limited tour dates back in 2008 and it's becoming clearer now that the band didn't want the reunion to stop there.

In a statement, the hard rock band's publishing company Warner Chappell announced that Van Halen extended its longstanding deal, and that the band was back in the studio with Roth for an album "that is due for release in 2011."

The press release did not specify if founding bassist Michael Anthony was returning for the album; Anthony was replaced by Eddie Van Halen's young son Wolfgang for the last tour.

Roth has not recorded an album with Van Halen since the 1984 album "1984." Diamond Dave was replaced by Sammy Hagar through 1996; Roth temporarily rejoined the band and then broke again. Gary Cherone was then the replacement vocalist through 1999."
Parts of this article above are false. When David came back to play with Van Halen in 2008, it was a total setup by Eddie Van Halen. Eddie still hated DLR for having left the group unexpectedly in 1984. Thery never forgave him. They allowed DLR to step in very briefly in 2008, and then they promptly kicked him out again. At that time, it was Van Halen's revenge then. Michael Anthony probably won't come back, since it was a nasty split. However, Eddie Van Halen's ex- wife, Valery Bertinelli was against their son, Wolfgang replacing Anthony. Whether he can stay with the group since his Mom wants him to get out of the group, remains to be seen. Regarding Eddie Van Halen & DLR's reunion coming true: Don't count you eggs 'til the chickens hatch. Considering their checkered past, I wouldn't bet on it. It's not over til the fat lady sings. Why would Van Halen go back with DLR now? It's very simple: Money, money & more money. Afterall, Van Halen doesn't have a clue who to get for a new singer. You can become friends again real fast when big money is in the picture. They were a failure when they took on Gary Sharone. Also, back in 1984, DLR looked like a star, sang like a star, and impressed with his jumps particularly for the song "Jump". Look at DLR now: He looks like a has been. Not even recognizable. He hasn't done anything worth a damn since 1984. These old Rock stars are only interested in getting back to their glory days and making $$$$$$$! There are many old Rock groups who came back togeather 20 years later only for the ol' mighty dollar. Here are a few examples: Simon & Garfunkle, Aerosmith, the Eagles, Styx. Many had not spoken wiuth each other for many years. Many parted on very negative terms. It's nice to see what a lot of money can do for old bandmates! DLR & EVH still dislike each other, but they will concentrate on the $$$$$$$!

Whoah! Did someone say Niagara Falls??? I know who David Lee Roth is - I just don't know who David Lee Ross is - I was just kidding around with you - you need to lighten up. Quite frankly, I don't even care about Van Halen. Eddie is a shell of his former self and even in their heyday, it was all about Eddie - Roth and Hagar where there(at least IMHO), purely their to provide a distraction between guitar solos. Hagar's band with Satriani, Chickenfoot is surprisingly alot better than anything Van Halen has done in years -with an excellent Blu Ray concert disc to boot. But we are way off the beaten path of this thread by now. Go in peace!

Crack The Sky is still great, they have always had high standards. Palumbo left after two records of classic material in 1976 and released solo albums until re-teaming with CTS in 1980. In between Gary Lee Chappell sang on Safety In Numbers and Live Sky. BTW - Joe Macre (CTS bassist) released Alive and Kicking Ass to release the balance of material (unedited) from the 2 shows that Live Sky drew from. Great performances from their second peak period.

They have made many live shows available from their website; I've probably got 25 of their shows from 35 year period. They were based in the MD area so that is why they appeared in that region so many times.

I look forward to enjoying their their live DVD!

I don't know who this David Lee Ross fellow is, but David Lee Roth toured with Van Halen in 2008 and rumor has it http://www.hitfix.com/articles/van-halen-with-david-lee-roth-recording-a-new-album that Van Halen (Eddie, Alex, Eddie's son Wolfgang and Roth) is preparing to go into the studio to record a new album.
Hey Elmer : Lighten up. I guess you earned a few extra brownie points for picking on me for making a spelling error on DLR's last name. I'm sure you have never made a spelling error, right?

Back