Dave Pemberton (Groove Armada, Kinobe, etc.) Unreleased 5.1 mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Just doing some googling to try and track down the names of more engineers responsible for 5.1 mixes, I came across the website of British engineer Dave Pemberton.

His name cropped up a few times, most notably in the liner notes of the three Groove Armada SACDs (Vertigo, Goodbye Country Hello Nightclub, and Lovebox) and the Kinobe Versebridgechorus? SACD, but always with a generic "mixed by" credit (as opposed to "5.1 mix by" or similar) so I was unsure what his level of involvment was.

However, on his website he has a PDF with a full list of all his mixing credits, including 5.1 work, and it confirms that he did indeed do the Groove Armada and Kinobe 5.1 mixes (and apparently was also a bandmember in Kinobe) but it also lists several 5.1 mixes that, as far as I can tell, are unreleased.

This is a full list of his 5.1 credits I culled from the PDF, with the unreleased mixes in bold:

Ash - Tokyo Blitz (Live at the Akasaka Blitz, Tokyo 2001) (DD DVD-V)
Beat Bullyz - Golden City/Human Nature (two tracks) [UNRELEASED 7.1 MIXES]
Carl Cox - Phuture 2000 (DD DVD Single)
Faithless - Sun to Me (single track) [UNRELEASED 7.1 MIX]
Goldfrapp - Live at Somerset House (DD DVD-V)
Groove Armada - Vertigo (SACD)
Groove Armada - Goodbye Country, Hello Nightclub (SACD)
Groove Armada - Lovebox (SACD)
Kasabian - Kasabian [UNRELEASED]
Kasabian - Live at Brixton Academy 2004 [UNRELEASED]

Kasabian - Live at O2 Dublin 2009 (Velociraptor! Deluxe Edition) (DD DVD-V)
Kinobe - Versebridgechorus? (SACD)
Kinobe - Wide Open [UNRELEASED]
Motorhead - 25 & Alive "Boneshaker" Live at Brixton Academy 2000 (DD DVD-V)
Orbital - The Altogether 5.1 (DTS DVD-V)
Robyn - Don't Stop the Music [UNRELEASED]
The Shadows - The Final Tour (Live in Cardiff) (DTS DVD-V)

Maybe not any earth-shattering revelations, but Kasabian's debut album was a big deal in the UK (triple platinum there, I think) and that Robyn album was a big hit in her native Sweden. It makes you wonder how many engineers working in the DVD-A/SACD era did simultaneous stereo and 5.1 mixes only to have the 5.1 version never come out.

Just doing some googling to try and track down the names of more engineers responsible for 5.1 mixes, I came across the website of British engineer Dave Pemberton.

His name cropped up a few times, most notably in the liner notes of the three Groove Armada SACDs (Vertigo, Goodbye Country Hello Nightclub, and Lovebox) and the Kinobe Versebridgechorus? SACD, but always with a generic "mixed by" credit (as opposed to "5.1 mix by" or similar) so I was unsure what his level of involvment was.

However, on his website he has a PDF with a full list of all his mixing credits, including 5.1 work, and it confirms that he did indeed do the Groove Armada and Kinobe 5.1 mixes (and apparently was also a bandmember in Kinobe) but it also lists several 5.1 mixes that, as far as I can tell, are unreleased.

This is a full list of his 5.1 credits I culled from the PDF, with the unreleased mixes in bold:

Maybe not any earth-shattering revelations, but Kasabian's debut album was a big deal in the UK (triple platinum there, I think) and that Robyn album was a big hit in her native Sweden. It makes you wonder how many engineers working in the DVD-A/SACD era did simultaneous stereo and 5.1 mixes only to have the 5.1 version never come out.

I would love to hear all those.

Kasiabian's debut is phenomenal. Would love to hear a surround mix of that.

I just want to say thank you, steelydave, for all you're great posts here at QQ. You're a wealth of information (usually regarding things I know nothing about, lol) and I always learn something new from you. Your posts are always well thought out, researched, and organized and your input at this forum elevates the experience to another level. Thanks again!

I just want to say thank you, steelydave, for all you're great posts here at QQ. You're a wealth of information (usually regarding things I know nothing about, lol) and I always learn something new from you. Your posts are always well thought out, researched, and organized and your input at this forum elevates the experience to another level. Thanks again!

Thanks for saying this, it really made my day.

When the lockdown hit earlier this year, I resolved to try and use some of my time to get through some of the "research projects" (for lack of a better word) that I'd been kinda procrastinating about looking at.

I also feel like we're all collectively a bit 'on edge' because of this current situation that's beyond anyone's control, so I was hoping that by bringing some of this new content to QQ it might contribute in some way to make a few people's days a little more interesting and less stressful as a result. On every message board I've ever been on it seems like when there's a lull in new things to talk about that things tend to go a little bit in the direction of Lord of the Flies, and people start to argue about petty differences rather than remembering the bigger shared interests that all brought them together in the first place. QQ has always done exceptionally well, I think, in terms of messageboard good vibes, so hopefully I've done my part with some of this stuff to contribute to that.

But anyway, back to Dave Pemberton - maybe I'll drop him a line via his website and see if I can get any more info about these shelved 5.1s, and let him know that the Groove Armada SACDs he mixed have become highly sought-after collectors items in the years since. I often wonder if these guys even know that there's a little collective of people who really care about the work they've done!

Yes - thanks for this post. It made me go back and listen/watch Orbital's "The Altogether 5.1" this afternoon. Fun, old school electronica with an effective, discrete DTS mix. The videos are a mixed bag but an enjoyable look back. The authoring on the disc is also cool - hidden rooms and easter eggs and all that - quite reminiscent of Super Furry Animal's "Rings Around The World" DVD - also a great 5.1 DTS mix.

Last edited:
What can I say, my profile pic says a lot :)

I had the pleasure of meeting Dave during the Goodbye Country / Hello Night Club near the end of the mixing production and hearing it on 5.1 B&W Nautilus 801s. I think that was 2000 or 2001. I was sold, went back home to the New Forest and spent big and upgraded my 5.1 system from small rear speakers to match my front speakers having 4x Polk LS90. Later purchased the SACD when it was released and then later Lovebox, which is mixed so well.

I love that list. I saw Carl Cox's Future 2000 concert at Glastonbury that year in the dance tent, amazing, and was at the Goldfrapp Somerset House Concert, and have the GoldFrapp SACD. I think that was back in 2003 as I moved to Sweden later in the year. At Virgin Festival saw GoldFrapp and Dirty Vegas back to back in the dance tent. And in 2004 saw Orbital at Glastonbury.

But what I really need help with is, how do I get a copy of Faithless - Sun to Me (single track) [UNRELEASED 7.1 MIX]?

I love Faithless. I love seeing them in concert, Glastonbury in the 90s and 2000's, Sister Bliss on the weekends at The Gallery, Grove Amada DJ sessions.

I sure hope Beaucoup Fish gets a Dolby Atmos Mix. As well as Sunday 8pm. Can you imagine it?

Here is something Im in my head about. I thought Goodbye Country Hello Night Club was mixed at Abby Road where I heard it. Maybe it was recorded there and mixed somewhere else, or I wasnt told all the true facts, or I wasnt paying enough attention to what I was told when there. Probably a combination of everything, plus what I wanted to hear. I was so focused on just the awe of Abby Road and what I heard. But the funny thing is I ended up there because I met Dave at a coffee shop in London when I was overhearing a conversation on SACD mixing in 2000 and I had just purchased a Pioneer Elite SACD player in 99 when it was launched. I invited Dave back to my place, he didnt take me up on the offer (I was a little too keen with excitement), but he invited me to his studio. We had a common friend at the time who wrote music for Macy Gray and Robbie Williams, and next thing you know I was at Abby Road. But here is the funny thing, I turned up with a copy of Faithless' 8PM album because I wanted to hear it on the B&Ws and said to him after hearing Grove Amada "you gotta do the next Faithless album as SACD. Sadly I was delusional, that never happened.

Too much story? Too much ego?

Back