Pink Floyd DSOTM - Sony Japan 7-inch 5.1 SACD coming 4/19!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m conflicted, it’s cool packaging but some of these 7 inchers I’ve never ordered for various reasons anyway. Guess I’ll bite down hard and pass on this as well. Too many other titles to spend my dollars on.

And yeah, using the old RM Quad cover with a 5.1 mix is just dumb in my opinion; there are so many others I’d prefer having since I’ve got the Immersion Box.

Still chewing it over though, I do like supporting these 7 inches (do I sound conflicted?)

I’m conflicted, it’s cool packaging but some of these 7 inchers I’ve never ordered for various reasons anyway. Guess I’ll bite down hard and pass on this as well. Too many other titles to spend my dollars on.

And yeah, using the old RM Quad cover with a 5.1 mix is just dumb in my opinion; there are so many others I’d prefer having since I’ve got the Immersion Box.

Still chewing it over though, I do like supporting these 7 inches (do I sound conflicted?)
It’s sad. This would have been an instant purchase for me with the quad rather than the 5.1 and I bet for others too - even those who own the Immersion Blu-ray (like me). I smell RW in this decision chain.

I went ahead and ordered this. I'm not getting the box set or Roger's redux. "His project" if so, he can keep it! These 7inch editions are mighty cool and I like the tchotchke that comes with it. I would be over the moon if it was the Parson's quad-unfortunately it's not. I also have the Blu ray from the immersion set and the 2003 multi channel edition. I need this like a hole in the head, but it looks so dang cool in this format. I couldn't resist.

Wow such a lost opportunity! I'm almost thinking of buying it anyway just for the packaging, then burning my own copy of the AP 4.0! (First world problem I know!)

I see you can preorder this from CD Japan, but does anyone know if, eventually, these things usually become available from places like Deep Discount? -- someplace domestically here in the US? I bought the Toto from CD Japan, but I think I bought the Herbie Hancock from Import CDs. Just curious.

I see you can preorder this from CD Japan, but does anyone know if, eventually, these things usually become available from places like Deep Discount? -- someplace domestically here in the US? I bought the Toto from CD Japan, but I think I bought the Herbie Hancock from Import CDs. Just curious.
It seems to be hit-or-miss. I wouldn't count on this being imported by retailers stateside.

Given the quad obi on this reissue, I'm sure Sony Japan probably wanted to put out the quad mix of DSOTM (as they obviously know what they're doing in that regard, and the value thereof) but getting a "new" product through the Floyd camp's approvals process is onerous at best and impossible at worst. By simply reissuing an already released (and approved) master, none of the Floyd principals need to "ok" anything - I bet when you rip the ISO for this disc it'll be digitally identical to the other SACD versions of this album, sort of like how the first Sony Japan Jeff Beck SACD (Blow By Blow) was simply a clone of the old Sony version in new packaging.

I think they would have had a bigger interest in this if they either A) offered it with the Alan Parsons original quad mix or B) offered it with the AP mix AND the Guthrie 5.1. 🙂

Then again, there will probably be a big interest in this just because it's DSOTM.

So this is the same old SACD/CD (that most probably didn't care or understand the SACD bit) that was everywhere twenty years ago in a pretty new dress at an extravagant price. This feels a bit like a cure for completists? Hi, I'm Tom and I'm an Audio enthusiast . . .

Disappointed. Why recreate the Quad packaging and Not get the Quad mix? We can speculate, which doesn’t offer anything. But, this release doesn’t have the feel of a logical band decision.

At least we got an official Quad release with the box set from about ten years ago. The packaging here is cool looking. But I would have liked to have seen what, perhaps, a new Quad mastering in DSD might have sounded like.

I believe now is a good time to catch up on some Quad titles from Dutton Vocalion. One can get 9 to 10 Quad titles from two releases, for the same price as this one.

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/

Given the quad obi on this reissue, I'm sure Sony Japan probably wanted to put out the quad mix of DSOTM (as they obviously know what they're doing in that regard, and the value thereof) but getting a "new" product through the Floyd camp's approvals process is onerous at best and impossible at worst. By simply reissuing an already released (and approved) master, none of the Floyd principals need to "ok" anything - I bet when you rip the ISO for this disc it'll be digitally identical to the other SACD versions of this album, sort of like how the first Sony Japan Jeff Beck SACD (Blow By Blow) was simply a clone of the old Sony version in new packaging.
A good chance of Steelydave's explanation being close to the truth. Also, the band opted to remix the album in 5.1 for it's first modern surround sound release back in 2003 - that period was about 5.1 not 4.0 - but the band may prefer the 5.1 mix over the 4.0 mix, which was only released as part of the Immersion boxed set.

But I agree with everyone, in keeping with the mini-LP re-issue norm, and with the vintage packaging recreated for this release, the 4.0 mix would have been appropriate - preferred.

That OBI strip doesn't quite make sense.

Anyone else notice it doesn't have the Toshiba Records label with that "RM" matrix emblem ?

But then Pink Floyd are now distributed by Sony , so there's that.
So why not indicate it as SQ ???

Any idea where this 5.1 mix comes from? Listening to it now, and sounds great, but have so many previous DSOM SACD's, Immersion Box Set, etc., I'm having a hard time telling if this is just a previously released 5.1 mix, or is it a new 5.1 mix from the 50th Anniversary Box set? Just got this new release from Japan and it's really a beautiful SACD!!! Tons of extras. Still have my 50th Anniversary Box set waiting sealed waiting for time to listen to the Atmos mix.

Back