DVD Audio extractor ripping rears at different volume levels?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes normalization will usually increase the sound level. Usually I just leave the box unchecked. If you selected DTS it would have extracted the DTS.

Perhaps the DTS was only 16 bit to start with, so then when extracting it to 24 bit it would be lower in level? So you can try extracting to 24 bit with normalisation enabled or try extracting to 16 bit instead.
Our version of DVDAE is 8.1.0

par4ken ....
Would you mind sharing which version of DVDAE you have experience with? If you read the quote above, you'll see that you mentioned selecting DTS. Our version of DVDAE doesn't have any option, on any of the setup windows, for choosing DTS. The only thing that comes close is the drop-down on the Step 2 of 4 window that gives us the following options: Mono, Stereo or All 6 Channels.

There are various testing discs available that will use tones to identify tracks L, C, R, LR, RR, etc.
Get one and play it while measureing the loudness of each channel with a SPL meter.
Then rip it to a file and play it back.
Does the levels measure the same from rip as the disc?

There are various testing discs available that will use tones to identify tracks L, C, R, LR, RR, etc.
Get one and play it while measureing the loudness of each channel with a SPL meter.
Then rip it to a file and play it back.
Does the levels measure the same from rip as the disc?
I suppose that your suggestion is about as scientific as it gets, aye? (y)

Last edited:
Our version of DVDAE is 8.1.0

par4ken ....
Would you mind sharing which version of DVDAE you have experience with? If you read the quote above, you'll see that you mentioned selecting DTS. Our version of DVDAE doesn't have any option, on any of the setup windows, for choosing DTS. The only thing that comes close is the drop-down on the Step 2 of 4 window that gives us the following options: Mono, Stereo or All 6 Channels.
I had to re-read your original post. You are ripping a DVD-Audio disc with DVDAE. What you are seeing is the DVD Audio layer/portion of the disc not the DTS or Dolby. There might be a slight level difference between the two. I would rip as you do (24-bit). Select normalize if you want, to see if it increases the level. Another possibility is that the DTS and Dolby portion are brickwalled making them sound louder. If that is the case you are very much better off with the DVD-A (MLP) layer. MLP is lossless while DTS and DD are lossy.

I'm using DVDAE version 8.1.0 but only recently updated it and haven't used it much yet. I had thought (but could be wrong) that it used to show all audio options DTD and DD as well as MLP. I just ploped in a disc with MLP DTS and DD and all it shows me is MLP multi and MLP stereo.

You need to show a screenshot of this step:

"After the usual delay, the following appeared in the DVDAE "Album" field: Kickin' It At The Barn (48-24 5.1Ch) (DVD-Audio). As all of the other fields populated correctly, all (11) tracks were selected and the "Next" control/button was selected.

You should have seen a 'DTS' option if that's what you were aiming for.

Since you chose not to Normalize, what you got was an exact rip, or a decode, of whatever you chose at the stage above. If the the overall oouptput level is different comapred to disc play (which is what you appear to be reporting) then either you have ripped some layer different from what you disc play, or the Oppo's settings are different for disc play versus file play.

Also it's not clear what your playback setup is. Is the Oppo decoding DTS , or the AVR?

I've ripped disc images I've made myself and nulled against the source files to verify the app works 1:1. I'd be looking side-eyed at the hardware dts decoder mentioned. At any rate, it was something else.

If you don't just believe things someone random like me might post on the internets... You can do it too! Grab the now abondon-ware app Disc Welder Chrome where it's shared. Author a disc image. Now rip it back. Now null the files against the originals.

"After the usual delay, the following appeared in the DVDAE "Album" field: Kickin' It At The Barn (48-24 5.1Ch) (DVD-Audio). As all of the other fields populated correctly, all (11) tracks were selected and the "Next" control/button was selected.

You should have seen a 'DTS' option if that's what you were aiming for.
He wanted to extract the DTS portion of the disc but you can't do it with DVDAE it extracts the DVD-Audio (MLP) portion, which is better anyway. The output format can be selected from the next screen but it doesn't include a DTS option. You can save as a flac or wav etc.

To extract the DTS or DD you would have to use a different app such as AudioMuxer and before you do that you have to extract the Video_TS folder from the DVD.

Why is the difference in level important anyway? That's what we have a volume control for! I think he is just worried that he's not getting bit for bit perfect copies, which he has to be.

He wanted to extract the DTS portion of the disc but you can't do it with DVDAE it extracts the DVD-Audio (MLP) portion, which is better anyway. The output format can be selected from the next screen but it doesn't include a DTS option. You can save as a flac or wav etc.

DVD Audio Extractor can extract both lossless and lossy formats. That's why it has a decoder for DTS and (AC3). You can also extract them raw -- 'Direct Demux'.

To extract the DTS or DD you would have to use a different app such as AudioMuxer and before you do that you have to extract the Video_TS folder from the DVD.

Nope. DVDAE can do it. If the disc is authored correctly.

Why is the difference in level important anyway? That's what we have a volume control for! I think he is just worried that he's not getting bit for bit perfect copies, which he has to be.

Agreed

Nope. DVDAE can do it. If the disc is authored correctly.
I checked several discs and they only showed the MLP portion. Did something change in version 8.3.0?

The help file says that it does DTS and DD!

Support all DVD audio formats
DVD Audio Extractor can decode all the audio formats available on all DVD-Audio and DVD-Video discs: MLP (Meridian Lossless Packiing), LPCM (Linear pulse code modulation), DTS (Digital Theater Systems), Dolby Digital (AC-3), and MPEG2.

I don't have it in front of me to verify, but I think if you simply load in a true DVDA disc, it defaults to extracting the MLP layer. I think you can specify extraction from a file, direct it to the Video TS directory on the disc, and it will offer you the AC3 and/or DTS layers.

Also the Little Feat DVDA isnt authored in typical fashion. IIRC it has no stereo layer at all.

I've had the same experience as @par4ken with DVDAE, it will only detect the AUDIO_TS portion of a DVD-A disc. "Direct Demux" will give you raw .MLP files. If you want to extract the lossy 5.1 program in the VIDEO_TS folder, you have to use AudioMuxer or some other program.

I've had the same experience as @par4ken with DVDAE, it will only detect the AUDIO_TS portion of a DVD-A disc. "Direct Demux" will give you raw .MLP files. If you want to extract the lossy 5.1 program in the VIDEO_TS folder, you have to use AudioMuxer or some other program.

As has been pointed out, if you use DVDAE's feature to open a folder directly, and select the VIDEO_TS folder on the DVD-A disc, you will see the DTS or AC3 versions.

I don't have it in front of me to verify, but I think if you simply load in a true DVDA disc, it defaults to extracting the MLP layer. I think you can specify extraction from a file, direct it to the Video TS directory on the disc, and it will offer you the AC3 and/or DTS layers.

Also the Little Feat DVDA isnt authored in typical fashion. IIRC it has no stereo layer at all.
re: The actual Little Feat Kickin' It At The Barn 5.1 Surround DVD-A (the original/source disc).

I'll definitely get to the earlier replies as soon as possible, but the only choices available when the DVD-A initializes are: Dolby Surround or DTS Surround. There is no option for Stereo via this particular DVD-A...so I think that you're onto something when you write, "...the Little Feat DVDA isn't authored in the typical fashion."

There are many DVD-Audio discs that only have an 5.1 MLP audio track but there is a mechanism in DVD-Audio for down mixing actually encoded in the MLP files. DVD Audio Extractor doesn't have the downmix capability, but there is a Windows utility called DVDAExplorer that can to the prescribed downmix by selecting the appropriate "substream" or something. It is often the case that these discs will have a stereo mix in the VIDEO_TS folder but it is often 2 channel ac3.

Yes but you can't do that directly from the disc.

Yes you can (at least with the Mac version). And this is the Kickin' It at the Barn DVD-Audio.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 12.32.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 12.32.24 PM.png
    711.4 KB · Views: 37
re: The actual Little Feat Kickin' It At The Barn 5.1 Surround DVD-A (the original/source disc).

I'll definitely get to the earlier replies as soon as possible, but the only choices available when the DVD-A initializes are: Dolby Surround or DTS Surround. There is no option for Stereo via this particular DVD-A...so I think that you're onto something when you write, "...the Little Feat DVDA isn't authored in the typical fashion."
It must be a DVD-Video disc then. A lot of newer releases say DVD-Audio but are in fact DVD-Video discs. If you can see both DTS and DD you can select DTS and it will extract that. Is there a difference between the DTS decoder in the Oppo and that used by DADAE, you wouldn't think so but maybe?

Back