DVD Audio extractor ripping rears at different volume levels?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It must be a DVD-Video disc then. A lot of newer releases say DVD-Audio but are in fact DVD-Video discs. If you can see both DTS and DD you can select DTS and it will extract that. Is there a difference between the DTS decoder in the Oppo and that used by DADAE, you wouldn't think so but maybe?

No again. It is a DVD-Audio. Here is the DVD-Audio layer you get when you open normally with DVD Audio Extractor.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 12.39.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 12.39.54 PM.png
    703.9 KB · Views: 33
I've had the same experience as @par4ken with DVDAE, it will only detect the AUDIO_TS portion of a DVD-A disc. "Direct Demux" will give you raw .MLP files. If you want to extract the lossy 5.1 program in the VIDEO_TS folder, you have to use AudioMuxer or some other program.

That's simply not true. You can direct DVDAE to open the Video_TS folder instead.
1647452317011.png

Select this option, then click the yellow 'browse folder' icon to the right. Navigate to the loaded disc, and select the VIDEO_TS folder (just select it, no need to open it). Your DVD content will now appear. Like so (this old DVDA disc has only AC3 , no DTS)
1647452644578.png

Direct Demux works for DTS and DD content there, or you can decode to PCM wav or flac files.

Last edited:
You need to show a screenshot of this step:

"After the usual delay, the following appeared in the DVDAE "Album" field: Kickin' It At The Barn (48-24 5.1Ch) (DVD-Audio). As all of the other fields populated correctly, all (11) tracks were selected and the "Next" control/button was selected.

You should have seen a 'DTS' option if that's what you were aiming for.

Since you chose not to Normalize, what you got was an exact rip, or a decode, of whatever you chose at the stage above. If the the overall oouptput level is different comapred to disc play (which is what you appear to be reporting) then either you have ripped some layer different from what you disc play, or the Oppo's settings are different for disc play versus file play.

Also it's not clear what your playback setup is. Is the Oppo decoding DTS , or the AVR?

Screen shot of Step 1 of 4 window...

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 1.35.50 PM.png

I transferred the FLAC files rendered by DVDAE 8.1.0 to a USB thumb drive (TD), plugged the TD into the front panel of the Oppo 105D and used the Oppo interface to navigate to the folder containing the FLAC files...so I assume that the Oppo is decoding the data ripped from the original DVD-A.

We're relatively new to ripping any of our physical media, but this is the very first DVD-A that we've experimented with and, therefore, this is our first experience with DVDAE. I posted to this thread to get in touch with folks with DVDAE experience and, specifically, to check whether or not we're missing something within DVDAE. Thanks for weighing in on this. 🤠

You are accessing the MLP layer, not the DVD (DTS, AC3) layer.

Now show a screenshot of what appears when you navigate to the loaded disc itself, using your computer's file explorer
Is there an AUDIO_TS and a VIDEO_TS directory?

It should look like this (Windows machine):
1647452914130.png

The DTS (and/or AC3) version will be in the VIDEO_TS folder. If the disc is authored correctly.

To access it from DVDAE, use the instructions in my post above.

When the FLAC files [pasted into a thumb drive] are played via the same Oppo player, only the DVD symbol appears on its front panel and, closer to the point of the original thread, the sound levels coming from all four speakers is lower when A/B tested against the DVD disc played via the same player. By the way, the "DVD" symbol also appears on the Oppo's display when the disc itself is played.
The level difference may well be nothing more than a slight difference in gain between how the OPPO handles optical playback vs USB playback. Its of no concern if the channel levels are where they should be relative to each other.

Getting back to the "Normalization" portion of the Step 3 of 4 window, is it possible that an adjustment of this function could have an effect on the resulting sound levels delivered by the FLAC files?
Yes. I never use the normalization function. It will compromise the dynamic contrasts of the various tracks on the album.

When I try that I can scroll to the Video_TS folder on the disc, But it doesn't show any files.

I can do the same thing with AudioMuxer and it does work!
You aren't searching for files, you are searching for a folder. Just select the Video TS folder and the tracks will be there if the folder isnt empty.

One more thing. There were a few instances I can remember where there were stereo tracks, but they were in the video TS folder, with none in the Audio TS folder.

The last thing I want to do is frustrate anyone, especially folks that are being helpful, but, if you compare your Step 1 of 4 interface to ours, SSully, you'll see that we don't have the same options available to us. Now that I read my original post to this thread, I see that I failed to mention that we're Mac users...but I really didn't think that the interface windows/screens would be any different...but, regardless, I probably should've mentioned that. :(

I also noticed that you're using a version 8.2.0 as opposed to version 8.1.0, which is, obviously, newer.

We don't have the latest and greatest OS on our MacBook Pro machines, so, IAW with the DVDAE admin, version 8.1.0 is the newest version of DVDAE that will run on our machines.

The last thing I want to do is frustrate anyone, especially folks that are being helpful, but, if you compare your Step 1 of 4 interface to ours, SSully, you'll see that we don't have the same options available to us. Now that I read my original post to this thread, I see that I failed to mention that we're Mac users...but I really didn't think that the interface windows/screens would be any different...but, regardless, I probably should've mentioned that. :(

Cheezmo used DVDAE on a Mac up there. To access DTS and AC3 from your disc.

I also noticed that you're using a version 8.2.0 as opposed to version 8.1.0, which is, obviously, newer.

Shouldn't matter. I only upgraded to 8.2 today, but these options have been around forever.

One more thing. There were a few instances I can remember where there were stereo tracks, but they were in the video TS folder, with none in the Audio TS folder.

Yes, many DVD-Audio discs are authored that way. Since 24/96 PCM stereo is supported by DVD-Video they just put it in that folder (which can still be played when your player is in DVD-Audio mode).

That way DVD-V players still get hires stereo, only the hires multichannel is a DVD-Audio player exclusive and they also don't have to duplicate it.

Shouldn't matter. I only upgraded to 8.2 today, but these options have been around forever.
[/QUOTE]
I thought we were up to version 8,3!

steps:
  1. Open DVDAE
  2. Load Disc
  3. Go to DVD Source-->select the option : Folder - Open DVD files from folder
  4. Click the yellow directory + magnifying glass icon to the right. A file browser window will open
  5. In the browser window, note the drive that shows your loaded DVD disc. Click on that drive to open it
  6. Select (but do not open) the VIDEO_TS directory

Version shouldn't matter. Works for Windows. Should work for Mac. I don't use Apple products.

I thought we were up to version 8,3!

Whatever
[/QUOTE]
I just went in to update mine from 8.1 and took note of this:

8.3.0 (2022-02-05)
  • Windows build is now 64 bit, 32 bit Windows is no longer supported.
  • Drop support to macOS 10.14 and earlier versions.
  • Update to support Fedora 34 and later. Older Fedora releases are no longer supported.
  • Fix a bug that custom genre is not saved.
  • Minor UI layout enhancements.

All the files on the disc (Audio_TS or Video_TS) are just available on the Mac with no extra steps with DVDAE. (Or they were up to 10.13.6. I haven't tried it on my recent 12.2.1 install. Did they break something?) Looks like SSully has it figured out for Windows.

There are some DVDA discs out there with surround only. Zeppelin How the West Was Won and the first surround remix of ELP Brain Salad Surgery off the top of my head. Discs authored just for the likes of us, right? :D

Back