Future Quadio releases?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Whenever a label has delays like DV, or a title seems a little behind schedule like Sony 7" of the next quad Santana album, I always look to other labels to fill in the gaps. And often we get a Beatles, a Stones, G. Harrison, or a Lennon, or a new Steven Wilson remix. So while we are waiting for some more good news......

So what's next for Rhino's Quadio line?

As the gaps between Aretha, Chicago & Doobie Brothers were 2010 - 2016 - 2020, maybe a few more years yet?

They should re-issue the Aretha as a blu ray to upgrade from the out-of-print DVD-V.

As far as new Quadio? Beats me.
All I can say is, the labels ought to get it done before the boomers who might buy physical media are past caring.

I would certainly take more Quadio Blu-Ray releases from Rhino, but as Blu-Rays can be costly to author and manufacture, the easiest way I would think for Rhino to reissue more of the WEA Quads would be to follow Sony's lead and get them up on Apple Music streaming in Dolby Audio.

I would certainly take more Quadio Blu-Ray releases from Rhino, but as Blu-Rays can be costly to author and manufacture, the easiest way I would think for Rhino to reissue more of the WEA Quads would be to follow Sony's lead and get them up on Apple Music streaming in Dolby Audio.

Really, they could start with the quad mixes for streaming that are a delight, but not "super hot" titles, like James Taylor "Gorilla", Gordon Lightfoot, Bette, Maria, or Arlo in Apple Music surround. Then the hotter titles on disc first, and then and streaming 9 months or a year later depending on how the pressing run is in stock. Or just release a few medium hot titles on streaming. That other Bread album, or what have you. Or do the ones that were licensed to Audio Fidelity first, and then work their way to exclusive titles.

I think that they now which are the super hot ones if they have been reading these forums for any length of time. There are a lot of options here with those tapes we've been waiting for decades to hear in good quality. It's time to open the floodgates, and let them flow.

I'm grateful that so much quad has been released on disc in recent years. But we have a little more ways to go here.

Last edited:
I haven't communicated with ForagingRhino in some time, but the last time I did it was concerning getting WB 5.1/4.0 stuff on places like HDTracks. He told me in a round about way that the market for that was not apparent, and that WB was going to be backing a new program, which turned out to be the streaming Atmos stuff that's out there.

So far there was the Fleetwood Mac Atmos, some REM, but not a whole lot else. I would expect that we will in fact see a lot more WB titles on the Atmos streaming services in the near future.

This is my conjecture, not a fact. If Steve wants to chime in, then he certainly can, I do not want to speak for him or Rhino. I do not want to pester him with fan-boy questions and stuff. Leave that to Facebook folks. I only email him when there is something important I want to discuss with him. And no, I don't share email addresses. Sorry

But I sure would like to see some of those old WB titles come out with spanking sparkling clean a souped up Atmos mixes!

As the gaps between Aretha, Chicago & Doobie Brothers were 2010 - 2016 - 2020, maybe a few more years yet?

They should re-issue the Aretha as a blu ray to upgrade from the out-of-print DVD-V.

As far as new Quadio? Beats me.
All I can say is, the labels ought to get it done before the boomers who might buy physical media are past caring.
…or past breathing… ⌛

Would love more quad releases because they tend to have the "aggressiveness" in surround that I like. I found a list of quad albums from the 70s and not many artists have more than 1 or 2 albums in quad (according to this list), but a few notable bands with 3 albums include Steely Dan, Aerosmith and The Moody Blues. The Eagles have two big albums in quad, wish they had more so they could do a Quadio package. Also a couple solo acts I wasn't very familiar with. There is another Pink Floyd album in quad, Atom Heart Mother, so they could package that with DSOTM and WYWH.

Would love more quad releases because they tend to have the "aggressiveness" in surround that I like. I found a list of quad albums from the 70s and not many artists have more than 1 or 2 albums in quad (according to this list), but a few notable bands with 3 albums include Steely Dan, Aerosmith and The Moody Blues. The Eagles have two big albums in quad, wish they had more so they could do a Quadio package. Also a couple solo acts I wasn't very familiar with. There is another Pink Floyd album in quad, Atom Heart Mother, so they could package that with DSOTM and WYWH.
Other than The Eagles, none of the groups you mentioned are part of the Warner/Rhino family so they would not get the Quadio treatment. But on the plus side, I believe the Best Of Aretha Franklin DVD was considered a "Quadio" release and it was just one album. 🙂 So maybe that Eagles Quadio might happen. 🤞

https://www.discogs.com/release/6087883-Aretha-Franklin-The-Best-Of-Aretha-Franklin

The “two-fer” Quadio seems to me to be the next logical step. You get two quad albums by an artist on one BR disc, with a stereo layer of course. Artists on Warner Music that have two high-quality quad albums that feature hit songs include:

Carly Simon
James Taylor
Gordon Lightfoot
Randy Newman
Joni Mitchell

I wonder if @JonUrban has spoken with @ForagingRhino lately, and if either of them is at liberty to divulge anything about prospects for the Quadio program. With the waning of the physical disc, should we even continue to hope for any more Quadio releases? And if not--or even if so--then why doesn't Warners re-release the quads in its archive on Apple Music, in the "Dolby Audio" format (assuming that's still a thing)?

Last edited:
Well I still hold out hope for a Joni Mitchell ....Quadio box set of 3? , maybe 4 ? , If rumours are correct . Even if "Blue" is an incomplete quad mix they can still go ahead with a modern day quad mix for completion. Much the same as both Steven Wilson and David Singleton have done.

And Gordon Lightfoot has 2 plus a possible 3rd with "Gords Gold" ..that is provided it was completed in quad back in the day when it was scheduled tbr.

I wonder if @JonUrban has spoken with @ForagingRhino lately, and if either of them is at liberty to divulge anything about prospects for the Quadio program. With the waning of the physical disc, should we even continue to hope for any more Quadio releases? And if not--or even if so--then why doesn't Warners re-release the quads in its archive on Apple Music, in the "Dolby Audio" format (assuming that's still a thing)?

Well, I can say that I have corresponded with him sorta recently, but I can not say what we corresponded about. Is that good? Or bad?

As we all know, many things that are planned and looked forward to never get to the final step -- retail. I think that's why DV works so well. They don't say a thing until the product is ready to ship. This way, we don't have a situation like "Running on Empty" or "Doobies Quadio", ya know?

Well, I can say that I have corresponded with him sorta recently, but I can not say what we corresponded about. Is that good? Or bad?

As we all know, many things that are planned and looked forward to never get to the final step -- retail. I think that's why DV works so well. They don't say a thing until the product is ready to ship. This way, we don't have a situation like "Running on Empty" or "Doobies Quadio", ya know?
Still talking, still standing. I'm gonna go with "good"!

Other than The Eagles, none of the groups you mentioned are part of the Warner/Rhino family so they would not get the Quadio treatment. But on the plus side, I believe the Best Of Aretha Franklin DVD was considered a "Quadio" release and it was just one album. 🙂 So maybe that Eagles Quadio might happen. 🤞

https://www.discogs.com/release/6087883-Aretha-Franklin-The-Best-Of-Aretha-Franklin

I'm dreaming but maybe Warner/Rhino releases Quadio collections of different artists together, like 10 different albums by different artists/bands in a single set. Will never happen but one can hope...

I'm dreaming but maybe Warner/Rhino releases Quadio collections of different artists together, like 10 different albums by different artists/bands in a single set. Will never happen but one can hope...
Agreed. Something like that would never happen. But, the individual artists that were part of a group might work. For example, Best of Bread (which had a quad releases) along with a couple of David Gates old quad albums. All on Elektra records under the Warner umbrella and that now includes Rhino. 😁. We can hope.

Yes, that is great news. Because if there were nothing at all in the pipeline, then you could state that much.
and
That many things are being or have been considered shows that the idea is far from dead.
and
To hold off on saying anything until the product is very close to shipping, means things are moving, even if slowly, and we will hear closer to delivery on this new project!

Thx for update and vague but quite encouraging news.

Back