Gentle Giant - (most of) Octopus in 5.1 coming soon!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm interested to see how they are going to sequence the CD.
What they might do for the CD is start with the original stereo mix in its entirety, add the 5 SW stereo remixes after that, and then finish up with the 15 min. live track.

I made a playlist like that, and it amounted to a CD with a running time of around 70 mins, so it's definitely doable.
Or of course they could just have a CD running order that mixes and matches the original mixes where needed with SW's remixes. We'll just have to see! :)

Is this then the title of the surprise remix that Steven did a couple of months ago or can we still expect another title that we weren't aware of?

peter

I don't know but there's another one I've heard rumour of that if it actually goes ahead is going to blow all our socks off! :yikes

I didn't mention Yes, just because SW has said on here that apparently they haven't located the tapes for "Going for the One", and other albums might not be as commercially viable to do remixing for, but who knows? If they have tapes accessible for both of the first two albums (or at least "Time and a Word"), maybe those might happen, but besides an eventual release of "Tales from Topographic Oceans", I'm less optimistic now about more Yes remixes than I was say a month ago, but as far as Jethro Tull goes, I'm all like :banana:
:)

R T

Sounds good!

I would very much enjoy a SW remix in 5.1 of YES-TIME AND A WORD.A very good early Yes prog effort.

Here's hoping it comes in the not too distant future months.

Last edited:
Pre ordered!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dammmmit GOS, You got the last one.............Just kidding - Snood pre ordered tooooooooooooo - Thank You RT :banana:

Unreal how many surrounds are coming out. Snood happy and way lighter in wallet - think they go together sometimes.

So, the three missing tracks won't be available in 5.1? Or is it possible to upmix? Still, good news.

The more 5.1 Gentle Giant the better, and those Penteo up-mixes can be really good, bring on the rest...........please...................:brew

The more 5.1 Gentle Giant the better, and those Penteo up-mixes can be really good, bring on the rest...........please...................:brew

I think the only way we will get more remixes from Gentle Giant is if they find most or all multitracks for any viable album from their catalogue, particularly albums that they actually now own the recording rights for like "Three Friends" and "In A Glass House".
Obviously it's debatable, but I would not expect remixes for albums like "The Missing Piece", "Giant for a Day", or "Civilian", and the same I think might be true for the first two albums due to ownership and licensing.

Can't believe I never listened to this one before. Thanks for the impetus. :)

You're quite welcome!
So many people are begging SW to not only remix this album, but to remix it without the orchestra, which I'm totally against as I feel like the orchestral element would be one of the reasons why this album would sound great in surround!
Now I would be completely fine with two remixes, one with and one without the orchestra, but this of course is all wishful speculation and thinking. We need to get both "Fragile" and "Tales" out before talk of other albums can even begin to get more serious.

But now back to Gentle Giant, what track is everyone most excited to hear from "Octopus" in discrete surround? For me it's definitely "Knots"! :)

BTW for those who aren't familiar with this album, here's a pretty good preview from a live medley of excerpts from the album filmed in 1975:
[video=youtube;Ga2HdehNtyY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga2HdehNtyY[/video]

:)

Another thing I had thought about today is if this is yet another remix of Steven Wilson's that will only be released on Blu-Ray (no DVD option mentioned so far), this is significant because it must mean that at least in the case of these XTC and Gentle Giant releases, the Blu-Ray is selling better than its DVD counterpart, and even though I don't know for sure, I would bet that the Yes Blu-Rays are selling better than the DVDAs too.

If that's all true, then it's too bad we can't send sales numbers to the Jethro Tull reissue team to let them know that BLU-RAY SELLS AND IT'S HIGHER RESOLUTION!
A win for everyone! :)

Another thing I had thought about today is if this is yet another remix of Steven Wilson's that will only be released on Blu-Ray (no DVD option mentioned so far), this is significant because it must mean that at least in the case of these XTC and Gentle Giant releases, the Blu-Ray is selling better than its DVD counterpart, and even though I don't know for sure, I would bet that the Yes Blu-Rays are selling better than the DVDAs too.

If that's all true, then it's too bad we can't send sales numbers to the Jethro Tull reissue team to let them know that BLU-RAY SELLS AND IT'S HIGHER RESOLUTION!
A win for everyone! :)

This Coming from somebody whose last name is bluray...........hmmmmmmm

Snood still a DVD-A fan, not for the car - but they feel better when Snood rubs them against his body. :mad:@: and yes me talking about both the cases and the discs, soooooooooo silky smooooooth :friday:

This Coming from somebody whose last name is bluray...........hmmmmmmm

Snood still a DVD-A fan, not for the car - but they feel better when Snood rubs them against his body. :mad:@: and yes me talking about both the cases and the discs, soooooooooo silky smooooooth :friday:

Ok, that's a lot more than I needed or wanted to know…
I still love DVD-A too, but if the past means anything, in the case of "Octopus", it would most likely be DVD-V, which I don't have any use for if there is a Blu-Ray version available. I would still be fine with them offering both DVD-V and Blu-Ray, but if they had to go with one, I'm glad they went with the latter. :)

Ok, that's a lot more than I needed or wanted to know…
I still love DVD-A too, but if the past means anything, in the case of "Octopus", it would most likely be DVD-V, which I don't have any use for if there is a Blu-Ray version available. I would still be fine with them offering both DVD-V and Blu-Ray, but if they had to go with one, I'm glad they went with the latter. :)

DVD-V or Bluray - Snood would go Bluray - The latest Yes release Fragile - bought both

BTW.....when Snood voting in polls - Snood takes into account the feel of the cases and discs on me skin. Usually Snood has to sleep with the cases and discs for a couple of nights to get what me calls "a connection" with the material. :cool:

Thanks for asking RT :banana: for you

DVD-V or Bluray - Snood would go Bluray - The latest Yes release Fragile - bought both

Yeah I've gone with Blu-Ray and DVD-A for all XTC and Yes releases thus far (including "Fragile"), especially since I much prefer the DVD-A packaging to the mini-LP packaging for the Yes Blu-Ray releases (which I loathe…), but for Gentle Giant, Blu-Ray is all I need, especially since the Blu-Ray version had the exclusive stereo instrumentals for all of the tracks on "The Power & the Glory", a nice addition. :)

I have many a time.... SHM-SACD -> Surround Master
:51banana:

I also have a DVD upmix for playback in the car..
:steering:

ah that's The Power and the Glory of the Surround Master! :D

(better hang onto your upmixes, I guess, appears they might be the only surround-y versions of some tracks even once this one has come out.. :eek: )

Meantime, as much as the Blu-ray success thing - they must be selling alright or nobody would be making them - and why all these albums should be in Hi-Res surround, is important.. the bigger deal for me now is that Universal/UMe specifically in the U.S.A should sit up and take notice that their U.K. compadres are getting surround stuff out there with one or two upmixes included and that consumers of these surround music titles are accepting of the odd upmix being included here and there when the absence of certain multi's is explained to them upfront .. and that it should not stop them releasing some of those albums where the odd missing multi is said to have been holding up a 5.1 incarnation (Steely Dan/Aja, Who/Who's Next.. etc)..

Back