Grateful Dead, Fare Thee Well: CD/BD set 11/20/15

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Recorded live July 3,4 & 5 @ Soldier Field in Chicago. The final concerts from the remaining members of the Dead with help from Trey Anastasio and Bruce Hornsby. Deluxe set of complete sets from all 3 nights is 12 CD and 7 BD. The final night July 5 th is 4 CD/2 BD..

The best part...it's all mixed by Elliot Scheiner

http://www.dead.net/store/music

After August 9, 1995 I lost interest in the Greatful Dead...for me Jerry Garcia WAS the band...instead of this recent attempt of the remaining band members I wish they would release more hi rez titles like American Beauty and Workingman's Dead..both of them are excellent sounding discs from 1970 source material...I bet there are others in the portfolio that could be given the hi rez treatment...since it appears the "money push" is in high gear this might be the time...I mentioned this "money grab" a few months ago..it kinda takes your breath away it's so absurd...check this out..

I'll concede that $700 box set may well be up there with the ultimate of boutique titles...but those who can afford such items will enjoy them, I'm sure, just as I once purchased the Beatles and Stones Mofi box sets, or Sinatra's complete Reprise recordings, or some Mosaic boxes. Just because something is pricey doesn't mean it sucks, and there's no reason the Dead should be held to a different standard than anyone else in that regard.

ED :)

I'll concede that $700 box set may well be up there with the ultimate of boutique titles...but those who can afford such items will enjoy them, I'm sure, just as I once purchased the Beatles and Stones Mofi box sets, or Sinatra's complete Reprise recordings, or some Mosaic boxes. Just because something is pricey doesn't mean it sucks, and there's no reason the Dead should be held to a different standard than anyone else in that regard.

ED :)

I never said it sucks and I certainly didn't hold them to a different standard...just a comment on the price...

$60.00 U.S. for the cheaper set is doable.

Elliot Scheiner mix not Jeffrey Norman, makes this interesting indeed.Scheiner always puts something in the rears with his live mixes!

If you want a good Grateful Dead in 5.1 American Beauty is great. I also have The Grateful Dead Movie on Bluray Which is not bad also in 5.1

Recorded live July 3,4 & 5 @ Soldier Field in Chicago. The final concerts from the remaining members of the Dead with help from Trey Anastasio and Bruce Hornsby. Deluxe set of complete sets from all 3 nights is 12 CD and 7 BD. The final night July 5 th is 4 CD/2 BD..

The best part...it's all mixed by Elliot Scheiner

http://www.dead.net/store/music
I didn't see where it says it's mixed by Elliott Scheiner...

Why wouldn't they advertise Elliott's involvement?...that's a huge selling point...I stumbled across this article...

To be frank, that's only a HUGE selling point to a small minority of audio enthusiasts such as the membership here at QQ.

It's all moot however. Elliot is the mixer and the release in its various iterations is coming out in November. Personally, American Beauty and Workingmans Dead in surround are good enough for me - not much of a Dead fan. Might buy this particular release might not.

Just posting the info for the benefit of anyone interested here on the site as it is information that came to me from a very reliable source. Prognostication as to its value and quality is probably a bit premature but hey it's part of the fun here at QQ - so have at it!

I pre-ordered the box set and although it's not Jerry, in still looking forward to this set. The mystery appears to be what material Rhino includes since there are extra CDs, DVDs and Blus in this set.

After listening to this in 5.1 I would have to say that this is NOT an ES mix. Compare this to the live Steely Dan or Eagles or Roy Orbison and you will definitely hear the difference. Add to that that there is no mention of ES and the actual book says it was mixed by Dennis Leonard and Derek Featherstone and there you have it.

Not really disappointed that I sprung for the complete set.... Well maybe a little.

I suppose Elliot must have jumped the gun when he announced this information to the local Redding, CT reporter who published it this May;

Scheiner has another interesting project in the works. The record producer, engineer and mixer with more than 100 gold and platinum records to his credit and a half-dozen similar cohorts are working with a writer to develop a show about 50-plus years of rock music, interweaving iconic recordings and stories of how some of them were made. “We think some of those stories can be told now,” he said with a laugh.

And while he had intended to take the summer off from music and devote his energies to the baseball team, some opportunities are too good to pass up. On July 2, with son Matt assisting, he will head to Soldiers Field in Chicago to record the Grateful Dead Reunion concerts and will do the mix for the album and video. And no, he does not need any other assistance.

Back