HOLOPHONICS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It did reduce the side image problem. You could hear sounds panpotted to the side without turning your head. Thar's why I built it.

Did anyone get to try the 45 RPM Carver "Sonic Hologram Sampler" , that was available through Audio Magazine ?

Either @jefe1 or @newslane.... or anyone else on QQ ?

(Never had it myself)
Yes I did. Still stuck between the pages and the magazine is stuck between something else in a closet. Long time ago you've got a good memory.

Last edited:
@Sonik Wiz

Well.....Sonik , I've been doing this a very long time . I don't remember everything , but when it's quad or surround , you can blame my over active brain.

I wonder how I'd fare on a quad collector's test ?

Yes I did. Still stuck between the pages and the magazine is stuck between something else in a closet. Long time ago you've got a good memory.
Yes, I did. Worked well, very interesting. BTW, have you checked out the Facebook Carver Sonic Holography group? This was discussed, along with some other Carver test pressings.

Given that "Sonic Holography" was supposed to work with stereo source material what was the point of a 'sampler'?

Given that "Sonic Holography" was supposed to work with stereo source material what was the point of a 'sampler'?
PRO: set up correctly and with well-mixed stereo source material, sonic holography rivals 5.1 and Quad as an immersive listening experience. And that is with any stereo source.

CON: it's hard to set up correctly, and the listener must stay in one position. It dominates a listening room. Personally, I think it's worth the effort.

The sampler provides help in setting up the speakers correctly, and encodes some stereo material that provides the holographic experience without the need of the hologram circuit.

I never had nor knew that sampler existed
Oh well love to get the Carver stuff working again.

Last edited:
Not wanting to sound like a know-it-all, but...

I have been a Pink Floyd fan since around 1978, and have gobbled up every bit of information on them I could since then. I do not recall any mention of the use of Holophonics on The Wall. On the other hand, the use of that technology was frequently mentioned in the press and promotion of the Final Cut. This leads me to believe that if it had been used for The Wall, it would have also been frequently mentioned, and it is unlikely I would have missed such mentions in the subsequent 40 years. So call me 99% sure the system was first utilized by Pink Floyd on the Final Cut.

If I am wrong, it would not be the first time. Ask my spouse!

Another Pink Floyd Know a lot here and you are right, No Holophonics on the wall, just on The final Cut. Waters then used it on Pros and Cons and for Amused to Death he used Q Sound.

For his next album Is this the life we really want he used the sh!ttiest engineer in Nigel Godrich who used no effects other than compressing the living daylights out of it removing all the emotion and depth in the music

Another Pink Floyd Know a lot here and you are right, No Holophonics on the wall, just on The final Cut. Waters then used it on Pros and Cons and for Amused to Death he used Q Sound.

For his next album Is this the life we really want he used the sh!ttiest engineer in Nigel Godrich who used no effects other than compressing the living daylights out of it removing all the emotion and depth in the music
Was that the sound he really wanted?

Hmmm, well I'll have take this one on the chin , I suppose.

I know 79 was a bit early for the use of holophonics .

BTW did anyone check and see if it was used on the 82 soundtrack ? And if not there then the earliest would be Waters .....or, Pink Floyd's -Final Cut 1983.

EDIT :
A quick check on wikopedia says there was no real soundtrack although the film's credits state Columbia Records was to release one , but there was an 1982 EP of 2 songs , one of which ended up on "The Final Cut".

20210729_141921.jpg
20210729_141915.jpg
20210729_141935.jpg

I assume by "horrible" or "that bad", you guys mean the sound quality or material chosen, right?

I have some cassettes I encoded through my C-9, in the eighties and the effect is there. I have always said the definitive demonstration of sonic holography is "Whole Lotta Love".

Doug

Last edited:
Very artificial sounding. Have you listened - what do you think?
No.

I wouldn't know where to begin on my system.
Aww , But I suppose I could listen with my ipod buds ! Will do sometime later.

At present I have some DVDA discs to review .

? Are you familiar with the Holophonics Sample Cassette , if so how does it compare with the Carver disc?

:unsure:

No.

I wouldn't know where to begin on my system.
Aww , But I suppose I could listen with my ipod buds ! Will do sometime later.
At present I have some DVDA discs to review .
? Are you familiar with the Holophonics Sample Cassette , if so how does it compare with the Carver disc?
:unsure:

I suspect that listening directly on headphones will give an even more unpleasant effect than on speakers that the system was intended for. Can't you just run a cable from your PC's headphone socket to an aux input on your system to hear it over speakers?

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the Holophonics tape and I've not had a cassette machine for many years.

Back