Holy Cow Oppo BDP-103

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to imagine this. So, your Oppo is really just a file opener, tag reader, and data streamer to the AVR at this point? And you use its GUI (ported to an external screen) to choose what to play?
Yes to all. The only pain is that you have to go back to the main screen to switch between Audio and Video file types. However, because the drive contents are read so quickly this is really not a big deal either.

So, when you spout utter tosh about audio, does that 'disenfranchise' me? Or do I 'disenfranchise' you by finding it to be utter tosh? :unsure:

We ALL have the right to VOTE with OUR pocketbooks, ssully! And UTTER TOSH is posting nonsense when I've done the TWEAKS which sound MOST PLEASING TO MY DISCERNING EARS ....and YOU HAVE NOT! I REST MY CASE!

You're right, I find every claim about CD player differences in quiksrt's post highly dubious. A 'bright' CD player, by any normal definition of 'bright', would show a measurable EQ difference from flat, for example, in the audible treble range. But we virtually never see this in published measurements. Meaning you have to stretch further and further from plausibility to find a non-trivial technical 'cause'. When the real cause may well be just a trivial output level difference, or plain old flawed human perception.

If you want to *really know* about the sound, sighted auditioning's often unreliable. It so often leads to unwarranted confidence in unjustified conclusions....which influence the spending of money.
What do you mean he’s right, my findings are dubious to you re: the various CD players and their sound?

1. He did not disagree with me
2. I spoke of different DACs, not CD players
3. Why did they provide 5 settings with this DAC if the differences I hear are dubious?

The RABID anti~tweak, curmudgeonly ssully, a favorite 'sparring partner' of mine for YEARS will have a literal field day with this post:

First and foremost: The '5' series OPPOs [as in 105] were always priced higher not only for their inclusion of analogue outputs but for BEEFIER power supplies over the '3'series. ALL the OPPOs come with detachable power cords FOR A REASON: You can replace them with BETTER power cords [your choice]. Internet retailers like Music Direct are always having sales on them and offer one a hassle free 60 day guarantee to return the item ....if unhappy.

So I took my basic OPPO BDP 105 and replaced the stock power cord with a [gasp!] $500 Shunyata Research cord and then plugged it into a very pricey Shunyata Research power conditioner: MAJOR UPGRADE #'s 1 & 2!

Next, as with ALL my components, I elevated the unit on 3 brass spikes to 'decouple' it from my custom built solid maple shelves: Upgrade # 3!

I place a Marigo damper [cost $220] atop ALL my discs and the 105 is among those few who accept such dampers without a hiccup. Dampers assist in better focus of the laser on discs for improved replication. Upgrade #4!

And just because I'm rather cheeky......the icing on the OPPO is one of those mystical, often negated, Shakti Stones which sit stop the center of my beloved OPPO.

And being an avid tweaker, I also spray my discs with 'disc enhancing' Ultra Bit Diamond plus which REALLY, REALLY makes a difference and is painless to apply. Works on all digital media but is hard to find nowadays.

And once my new system is finally set up [BIG set back due to Covid~19], I will install my OPPO 205, applying the same LOVE afforded my trusty and beloved 105!

And do all these [admittedly excessive] tweaks improve the sonics of the OPPOs.....or for that matter any digital component: A RESOUNDING YES!
I prefer using stones from black sand beaches.... they provide an airier high end. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

When it all comes down to it if you like what you hear in your system that's all that should matter to you. Anybody's alternate opinion should not matter

Opinions shouldn't matter...if they are untethered from reality. An 'alternate opinion' that's factual, though...that's *scary!*

In practice, opinions matter quite a lot in this hobby. Audio hobbyists are forever seeking out opinions of others about audio gear and recordings...and sharing their own. IME, the highest level of anxiety is exhibited by the high end people and the tweakheads . "Do I *really* have the best sound now? (after spending all that money)? What? No??? Oh no! Please tell me, Stereophile, how I can do better! Shakti stones? Right! "

I prefer using stones from black sand beaches.... they provide an airier high end. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The black also absorbs stray sound waves and energy vibrations. Like black holes, due to quantum mumblemumble. Stray waves and energy vibrations can cause all sorts of hash in your ears, which you should clear out with candling every month.

Opinions shouldn't matter...if they are untethered from reality. An 'alternate opinion' that's factual, though...that's *scary!*

In practice, opinions matter quite a lot in this hobby. Audio hobbyists are forever seeking out opinions of others about audio gear and recordings...and sharing their own. IME, the highest level of anxiety is exhibited by the high end people and the tweakheads . "Do I *really* have the best sound now? (after spending all that money)? What? No??? Oh no! Please tell me, Stereophile, how I can do better! Shakti stones? Right! "
I guess you are correct but in my circumstances the only people that listen to my system (and that is infrequently) have not spent money on their systems or don't have one at all so they think mine sounds great. I have only heard positive comments. I guess I am in a unique situation though. I'm very content as I think it sounds great as well.

Back