Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick Stereo/5.1 remix will be reissued in October 2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't really find an EMI contact page or email address. I believe in the past for the Wall petition, we wrote comments under the Pink Floyd press release, and for Aqualung, we went through EMI Canada (which I don't think would be the best way to go about it again).

Looking at the credits for the Aqualung reissue, the main people to talk to on this matter would probably be Tim Chacksfield, who was in charge of Product Research and Co-Ordination, as well as Ray Shulman, who was in charge of authoring the DVD and Blu-Ray discs for the release at Isonic. (He also happens to be the founding member and bass player for legendary prog rock band Gentle Giant).

I believe Chacksfield has been in contact with the Jethro Tull forums concerning photos and memorabilia scans for these releases, so maybe they can contact him.
Also, I'll look for contact info for Isonic. Maybe the Gentle Giant website/Facebook page/forum can get in contact with Ray.

I'd imagine Neil (Wilkes) knows how/who to get to at EMI regarding this.

Also, i feel that if it were explained to the producers of these EMI CD/DVD-V sets that creating an advanced res DVD-A would cost them no more money to make than a DVD-V.. and the sonic benefits, plus potentially increased sales (no matter how small, the labels need to wring every sale they can get nowadays) from audiophiles, beyond Tull fans and surround nuts.. then we would see any/all future releases of this type from EMI on CD + DVD-A sets.

I'd imagine Neil (Wilkes) knows how/who to get to at EMI regarding this.

Also, i feel that if it were explained to the producers of these EMI CD/DVD-V sets that creating an advanced res DVD-A would cost them no more money to make than a DVD-V.. and the sonic benefits, plus potentially increased sales (no matter how small, the labels need to wring every sale they can get nowadays) from audiophiles, beyond Tull fans and surround nuts.. then we would see any/all future releases of this type from EMI on CD + DVD-A sets.

Well, I was able to find Tim Chacksfield's email address.

He's definitely the guy to get in touch with concerning Tull reissues, so if you (or Neil) would like to email him and not only see if he can confirm a Blu-Ray release for TAAB, but also talk about the benefits of DVD-Audio, I think that would be wonderful. (I can do it as well if there's interest)

Now for everyone else, this is NOT the opportunity to send hundreds of emails saying, "We want _____________ in high-res!" Only one or two people should email him in this matter.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to search for contacting Ray Shulman at Isonic...

Last edited:
Guys, please - I beg you - do *not* start bombarding Tim & Ray with emails about this.
It does not work that way in major labels, and all unsolicited emails are likely to do is have the opposite effect.
So, please, don't do this. You'll actually be doing more harm than good.

Guys, please - I beg you - do *not* start bombarding Tim & Ray with emails about this.
It does not work that way in major labels, and all unsolicited emails are likely to do is have the opposite effect.

Note to members: Please heed Neil's words. Stop emailing and hounding EMI and others. It will backfire on us. There are forces behind the scenes working in our favor and unsolicited emails may tip them in the WRONG direction. No one wants to be hounded.

Please - let it be and wait. Things are turning, but it's NOT because of your emails.

Note to members: Please heed Neil's words. Stop emailing and hounding EMI and others. It will backfire on us. There are forces behind the scenes working in our favor and unsolicited emails may tip them in the WRONG direction. No one wants to be hounded.

Please - let it be and wait. Things are turning, but it's NOT because of your emails.

Ok. I removed the email address in a post above to make sure that no one would email Tim Chacksfield.

Just to be clear, my intention was not to "hound" these men, but simply to see if they could confirm the format of the 5.1 DVD. I'm fully aware that the petitions and what-not do not work, so my days in participating in those kind of things are over, and I'm through "convincing" record co. people what they should do, because I know that, left to their own decisions, they only care about what makes them money, not what really pleases the fans. (Nothing new here.)

Throughout this whole year, I thought that it was a pretty safe notion that TAAB would be a Blu-Ray release (like Aqualung), but I can no longer trust that notion, so guess there's nothing else to do but wait...Drink anyone? :friday:

The Aqualung emails were sent to a "Contact Us" webpage that was provided by the company (EMI, in this case) for the purpose of allowing people who visited that website to provide feedback. It was their choice to make that functionality available. Personally, in a situation like that, I see nothing wrong with sending an email about their products. That is what it's for. The guy there, at the time, even said "keep them coming".

from what i found over Google, it seems like Tim Chacksfield are in charge of EMI's catalog department.
i guess he is the one who can shed lot of light in regards of rumored "mixed but never printed" quad releases.

The Aqualung emails were sent to a "Contact Us" webpage that was provided by the company (EMI, in this case) for the purpose of allowing people who visited that website to provide feedback. It was their choice to make that functionality available. Personally, in a situation like that, I see nothing wrong with sending an email about their products. That is what it's for. The guy there, at the time, even said "keep them coming".

you were first to got in contact with him. i guess his response wasn't from generic e-mail address. maybe you should
try to get in touch again and ask in regard of this release? his answer could give us some sort of hint on what would
be best way to begin.

from what i found over Google, it seems like Tim Chacksfield are in charge of EMI's catalog department.
i guess he is the one who can shed lot of light in regards of rumored "mixed but never printed" quad releases.

Looking back through my EMI Quad releases (ELO, Barclay James Harvest, and Gentle Giant [Am I missing any?!]), I don't see his name in the credits for these particular releases, so I think he's just one of many people responsible for EMI's back catalogue, and there are probably many people within the company that can enlighten us as to more Quad masters laying in the vaults.

Looking back through my EMI Quad releases (ELO, Barclay James Harvest, and Gentle Giant [Am I missing any?!]), I don't see his name in the credits for these particular releases, so I think he's just one of many people responsible for EMI's back catalogue, and there are probably many people within the company that can enlighten us as to more Quad masters laying in the vaults.

Thomas Dolby in his blog mentioned meeting with manager of EMI's catalog department Tim Chacksfield.
doesn't meant he should be directly involved into any particular project but as a manager definately has lot to do with.

Quizz Kid on the Jethro Tull Board had this to say on the subject of TAAB Blu-Ray:

I've been discussing it with Tim Chacksfield at EMI on and off for a bit of time, sending and offering EMI some pretty unique stuff [pictures for package design]. But seems the packaging and images are already in train. If the packaging is sorted then you can bet your bottom dollar, quid or yen that the contents are also done and dusted and lobbying ain't going to change the position.

However, for the most eager of beavers, Tim's email is ________________, however I suspect he wouldn't take too kindly to a flush of messages from Tull fans all wanting something that his budget wouldn't allow.

I would also think that it might be a tad late or possibly even a bit of a wasted effort......

Read more: http://thejethrotullboard.proboards...bums&action=display&thread=3102#ixzz23iv9kBBN

:(

you were first to got in contact with him. i guess his response wasn't from generic e-mail address. maybe you should
try to get in touch again and ask in regard of this release? his answer could give us some sort of hint on what would
be best way to begin.
Not going to happen. Submitting emails to a "Contact Us" page is one thing. Contacting people via their email address is a business function. I'm just a fan.

Guys,

I applaud your enthusiasm and effort but we have a powerful force here with Neil Wilkes, and I would hate to see him undermined by people in the "Quad Club" bothering these guys. One may not think it's a bother, but many of these people are flooded with things to do, they're understaffed, their industry is hurting, and they may even feel EXACTLY the way you/we do but are powerless to do anything.

Remember how our membership beat on Jimby from UMG to the point that he left here. This is not good. Jim was a big proponent of surround, and he wanted what we wanted, but these corporations are huge money machines, and the needs of the few do not outweigh the needs of the stockholders! :)

Look at HD Tracks. We hit them hard when they asked about surround downloads and what became of it? NOTHING

Sometimes, things suck.

Guys,

I applaud your enthusiasm and effort but we have a powerful force here with Neil Wilkes, and I would hate to see him undermined by people in the "Quad Club" bothering these guys. One may not think it's a bother, but many of these people are flooded with things to do, they're understaffed, their industry is hurting, and they may even feel EXACTLY the way you/we do but are powerless to do anything.

Remember how our membership beat on Jimby from UMG to the point that he left here. This is not good. Jim was a big proponent of surround, and he wanted what we wanted, but these corporations are huge money machines, and the needs of the few do not outweigh the needs of the stockholders! :)

Look at HD Tracks. We hit them hard when they asked about surround downloads and what became of it? NOTHING

Sometimes, things suck.

I am not meaning to undermine Neil, which is why I removed the email address of Tim Chacksfield from this forum, although it may still be floating around other forum (websites)... :rolleyes:

The only thing I will do is continue to monitor a particular EMI website that lists releases and information when it becomes available. No harm in doing that, right?
If anyone's interested, this is the catalogue # for the "supposed" CD/DVD release: 5099970461923. Google it in quotes with Jethro Tull and you'll come up with some early pre orders for the set from various stores.

Oh, and to Neil, sorry if we drive you crazy! We really do love having you here! :D

Not going to happen. Submitting emails to a "Contact Us" page is one thing. Contacting people via their email address is a business function. I'm just a fan.

oh well, from mine experience of canadian living, i did expected something like this. anyway, it's your call.

Guys,

Sometimes, things suck.

Jon, when i'm agree with most you said in general, i cannot agree with approach "do nothing, just sit and wait".
HDTrack can't be considered as decision maker as they're mainly sort of "middlemen" and distributing only what
they can get from source holders.
Jimby left due to rudeness of some our members and i hope he still reading from time to time and someday will
consider to return.
sure, we shouldn't bother the folks, involved in production, but seems we're more in touch with reality and must
work out some way to deliver our message or concerns toward label's approach to upcoming releases. "Aqualung"
hadn't been planned as HiRez. i don't know sell figures but if they were disappointing for EMI, it could be only
because too expensive for many and refusing to print standalone BD-A (when the master already on the hands)
to boost sales, just plain stupidity.

Jon, when i'm agree with most you said in general, i cannot agree with approach "do nothing, just sit and wait".
HDTrack can't be considered as decision maker as they're mainly sort of "middlemen" and distributing only what
they can get from source holders.
Jimby left due to rudeness of some our members and i hope he still reading from time to time and someday will
consider to return.
sure, we shouldn't bother the folks, involved in production, but seems we're more in touch with reality and must
work out some way to deliver our message or concerns toward label's approach to upcoming releases. "Aqualung"
hadn't been planned as HiRez. i don't know sell figures but if they were disappointing for EMI, it could be only
because too expensive for many and refusing to print standalone BD-A (when the master already on the hands)
to boost sales, just plain stupidity.

Exactly. We can't even really "vote with our wallets" anymore. It seems like the more we buy, the less we get...
But I do hope that the upcoming ELP reissues "sell by the truckload" (to quote Neil). At least the ELP situation (concerning high-res) was turned around...

Back