Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick Stereo/5.1 remix will be reissued in October 2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somehow I think we'll get less bonus tracks on this release than on Aqualung, simply because of the conceptual nature, so there won't be any extra tracks (B-sides, etc.) that aren't already in the album itself.
Ian did mention that Steven sent him raw, live cuts of some parts (ie. without overdubs), so that should be interesting if it makes the reissue, to hear exactly what the band played live in the room that went to tape.

i would rather have all JT catalog in 5.1 lossless but at reasonable cost :)

These are such boutique items that 'reasonable' is probably out of the question unless you get lucky finding it used. No matter, it will be worth it when it comes (and I'm not a big fan of the album, BTW).

ED :)

So we got the TAAB1/TAAB2 Double Vinyl Bundle like Ian said there would be and a double disc package. (CD/???)

Just speculation, but my guess is that there will end up being 3 packages.

2CD Special Edition
4-disc Collector's Edition (with 2CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray)
2vinyl package (TAAB 1 & 2)

But hopefully we'll get "official" info in a few weeks time...

Just speculation, but my guess is that there will end up being 3 packages.

2CD Special Edition
4-disc Collector's Edition (with 2CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray)
2vinyl package (TAAB 1 & 2)

But hopefully we'll get "official" info in a few weeks time...

Potentially Good/Bad news from SW's Facebook:

My 5.1 mix of Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick" should also be released around the same time (as LTIA) as part of a 40th anniversary edition of that album (I'm not sure of the formats on that one yet, but most likely a more modest CD/DVDV combination).

Ok, so the good news about that post is that people should be able to get the 5.1 mix for this one rather inexpensively (unlike Aqualung).
The (potentially) bad news is that there may not be Blu-Ray this time around if the package is more modest.

Nice to see EMI testing the waters with some 5.1. That's now two classic albums that they're promoting! Space in Time and Thick as a Brick. Who owns EMI now? (I haven't kept up with the trades)

Since Facebook pages now have a message button, I sent Steven a message through his Facebook page telling him to come over here and give us the scoop on TABB when he knows whether or not we'll be getting Blu-Ray this fall (or just DVDV). So we'll see if he drops by...

I GOT A MESSAGE BACK FROM STEVEN, REGARDING TAAB! Here's what he had to say:

well i am guessing about the TAAB reissue, based on the fact that TAAB2 was only released as CD/DVDV. I was pleasantly surprised with what they did for Aqualung, but all the blu-rays you mention were only included as part of expensive deluxe sets of hugely successful albums that continue to sell year in / out to a large mainstream rock audience, and I think their expectations for TAAB will be more modest. Of course I could be wrong, record companies work in mysterious ways!

I'll continue the conversation, but if I can find a good webpage or email address, it might not be a bad idea to send EMI some "nice" emails about requests for Blu-Ray, just in case... :)

I GOT A MESSAGE BACK FROM STEVEN, REGARDING TAAB! Here's what he had to say:

I'll continue the conversation, but if I can find a good webpage or email address, it might not be a bad idea to send EMI some "nice" emails about requests for Blu-Ray, just in case... :)

nice one rtbluray! :)

shame SW seemingly can't force the issue to get EMI to release TAAB as a DVD-Audio, as he did with Sony & the upcoming ELP's he remixed but as you say maybe we could gently apply pressure to the label to make this Hi-Rez!?

nice one rtbluray! :)

shame SW seemingly can't force the issue to get EMI to release TAAB as a DVD-Audio, as he did with Sony & the upcoming ELP's he remixed but as you say maybe we could gently apply pressure to the label to make this Hi-Rez!?

I can't really find an EMI contact page or email address. I believe in the past for the Wall petition, we wrote comments under the Pink Floyd press release, and for Aqualung, we went through EMI Canada (which I don't think would be the best way to go about it again).

Looking at the credits for the Aqualung reissue, the main people to talk to on this matter would probably be Tim Chacksfield, who was in charge of Product Research and Co-Ordination, as well as Ray Shulman, who was in charge of authoring the DVD and Blu-Ray discs for the release at Isonic. (He also happens to be the founding member and bass player for legendary prog rock band Gentle Giant).

I believe Chacksfield has been in contact with the Jethro Tull forums concerning photos and memorabilia scans for these releases, so maybe they can contact him.
Also, I'll look for contact info for Isonic. Maybe the Gentle Giant website/Facebook page/forum can get in contact with Ray.

Back