Jon Anderson releasing new surround material ("Olias of Sunhillow" upmix out in March!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that only having an upmix is a disappointment, but on your question of why bother - am I wrong or naive in thinking that a reasonable upmix can still be a better listen than the original stereo, so its still an upgrade of the album of sorts?
I enjoy a lot of up-mixed music (especially my own ;)) but it’s all in each person’s perspectives, and expectations of how they want it to sound. If someone enjoys this music up-mix then that’s fine, but I also know there’s plenty of stuff I’d love to up-mix; but no matter what I try, the source material just doesn’t allow for an enjoyable ride and I have to accept that and move on. I’d expect the professionals to realize those limitations even more so.

Haven't the professionals in the past used tools like Penteo or similar to produce pretty good upmixes. The best upmix I can think of is the excellent job that Simon Heyworth did with the second side of Gong's You album.

Haven't the professionals in the past used tools like Penteo or similar to produce pretty good upmixes. The best upmix I can think of is the excellent job that Simon Heyworth did with the second side of Gong's You album.
I believe they do along with other enhancement tools probably as well. Penteo (for me at least) is just the starting point, with the bulk of the work to be done afterwards. There might even be some pre-Penteo processing done to clean up some things or widen out the sound. I always feel the artist’s input (if available) as to their artistic vision should play into the process.
I also feel The Red Planet was pretty decent.
I even thought I read somewhere that Steve Wilson uses Penteo, is that right?

Mine has just arrived, the 5.1 up-mix is by Ben Wiseman, also in the booklet one of the people thanked is Steven Wilson.
Interesting. I remember an interview from last year where Anderson said he'd put a bug in Wilson's ear about remixing the album if the masters could be found. I wonder if that's the extent of what he's being thanked for, or if Wiseman consulted Wilson about the upmix?

I believe they do along with other enhancement tools probably as well. Penteo (for me at least) is just the starting point, with the bulk of the work to be done afterwards. There might even be some pre-Penteo processing done to clean up some things or widen out the sound. I always feel the artist’s input (if available) as to their artistic vision should play into the process.
I also feel The Red Planet was pretty decent.
I even thought I read somewhere that Steve Wilson uses Penteo, is that right?
The SM2 is pretty good at extracting phase differenced signals from a lot of albums, it was very front centric when I played Olias through it. So my take is that this album is very difficult to up-mix, as there is not a lot to 'work' with. My be as JP says it needs a lot more up front processing (like the stereo image widening tools first), before Penteo can do anything with it. There is only so much money/time a record company can afford to spend on a project. I do wish they had been able to find the multi-tracks. BTW I too have heard some great Penteo up-mixes, but it needs the right 'material' to start with, and I suspect an awful lot of time spent on them.

I agree that only having an upmix is a disappointment, but on your question of why bother - am I wrong or naive in thinking that a reasonable upmix can still be a better listen than the original stereo, so its still an upgrade of the album of sorts?
You could think of "upmixing" as simply mastering a 2.0 source to a 5.1 format. In that context, you could create a mastered version that has some extended separation and was a better presentation with the mastering work. (Or at least in someone's opinion!) Ultimately the original 2.0 might still be the cleanest original sound on a reference level system. But the presentation that extends into 5.1 channels may come across better for it on a smaller or lesser 5.1 system.

And you know, we're critiquing the mastering moves at this stage. Depends on who is involved.

The upmix move that gets dissed on is when you pipe a stereo mix to one of the stock upmix plugins or one of the old hardware quad decoders for random results. The random results may be awesome in some cases! That's not the point though. The point is this strays from what the artist created with their hand (for good or bad).

And not to suggest that the above tools can't be used for intentional results either! We're back to intentional mastering again. It's the random thing that turns some people off no matter what the results sound like.

Sorry to hear about the disappointing surround mix. I'm not surprised. My enthusiasm for this dropped steeply when I heard they couldn't locate the multis.

Appreciate you guys being the testers. I wouldn't have gotten this unless the reviews were good, despite Jon being my favorite artist and this my favorite album of his (probably kinda obvious from my Avatar). Thanks for saving me some cash.

Sounds like applying DPL II to my CD would have similar results. Oh well. At least we finally got SW's Tales. That and CttE were my ultimate wishes; can't have everything, so I won't let this bother me. If I were to focus on all the lost opportunities in the history of surround I'd be a sad mess indeed!

Now I want to play devil's advocate to my last diatribe.

You can have those moments in the studio when you're recording or working on a mix where you did something random or by accident and... "Wow! What was that!?! THAT'S the sound!!! Yes yes yes!"

So there's gray area. The same scenario could play out with a random upmix!

But still it's just not the same listening to a machine's decision vs. an artist's intentionally mixed surround album, is it!

Anyway yeah, it's a big bummer the multis are missing when this opportunity comes along! This is such a creative work. Getting a proper mix from the ground up with the attention to detail to preserve all the ideas while taking the mix to the next level would have been amazing.

As this only cost me £12.99 I'm not that concerned the up-mix is what it is.

If it had been circa a typical box set price so £60-£75 I wouldn't have been happy.

The DVD stereo sounds good, I have this on the original LP, CD, Japanese CD & AF SACD, and it was never the most 'clear' of recordings. This is a 'nice' package, plenty of info. So Ok for the price.

If it had been circa a typical box set price so £60-£75 I wouldn't have been happy.

The DVD stereo sounds good, I have this on the original LP, CD, Japanese CD & AF SACD, and it was never the most 'clear' of recordings. This is a 'nice' package, plenty of info. So Ok for the price.

That's what I was thinking from the get-go: for the price of a regular CD, as long as the stereo remaster is worthwhile, then it's worth the price of the ticket. And if the upmix is just "meh," then no great loss. Good booklet: bonus.

I got my hopes up when I read that interview last year where Anderson said he'd talked to SW and this was one of the titles he'd mentioned. But in this hobby, it's neither the first nor the last time any of us will have had hopes dashed...

Now on pre-order at ImportCDs, by the way. (Don't know if that's been mentioned.)
https://www.importcds.com/olias-of-sunhillow/5013929474888

DuncanS
I'd be curious, of the 5 versions ( ..including this recent one we're discussing) that you have, which one do you refer over the others?.. If you are able to clearly differentiate & decide from among them.... Thanks!

DuncanS
I'd be curious, of the 5 versions ( ..including this recent one we're discussing) that you have, which one do you refer over the others?.. If you are able to clearly differentiate & decide from among them.... Thanks!
Due to aging eyes the original LP to look at! but I have always preferred the sound of the Japanese CD, it also came with a full miniature booklet like the LP. However, I haven't compared with the stereo on the new DVD.

Just to be clear, I haven't heard this one yet; but hopefully the Polls will eventually provide some consensus on this.

I honestly don't know if I'm going to create a poll for this title, simply because the entire album is an upmix, so I don't know if it's worth making a poll for a release like this one.

I honestly don't know if I'm going to create a poll for this title, simply because the entire album is an upmix, so I don't know if it's worth making a poll for a release like this one.
Understand that for sure; guess we'll have to do some reporting on this thread to cover it. Hey new Avatar huh rt?

Due to aging eyes the original LP to look at! but I have always preferred the sound of the Japanese CD, it also came with a full miniature booklet like the LP. However, I haven't compared with the stereo on the new DVD.

The first Olias on CD was a Japanese CD in 1990. White spine. I still have that one, and the AF SACD. I'd be hard pressed to discern much audible difference between them. Which tells me there's not much more to be gleaned from simply remastering the two track master.

Back