KUNSTOPHE , BINAURAL ,3D STEREO..... (Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting timing. I just pulled the JVC BN-5 Biphonic Processor out of the closet
The unit always worked good for me in eliminating cross talk on binaural recordings and the realism that one can get with headphones is pretty darn close using loudspeakers.
It is good unit and is very quite for the time period of the electronics.
I don't recall any recordings to recommend as it was many years ago I was using it in that capacity and most were ambient sounscapes or nature recordings.
I mainly used the unit for home recordings I did with a dummy mic and using it to expand stereo recordings.

20220219_085638.jpg

20220219_085706.jpg

The quad version was never produced but I did get a circuit diagram they used in the patient process when I contacted JVC engineers in the late 80's. Not sure where that is hiding at the moment.

Here is the link to the circuit diagram I posted years ago
Q-bifonic release(s) list NEEDED !

Last edited:
Interesting timing. I just pulled the JVC BN-5 Biphonic Processor out of the closet
The unit always worked good for me in eliminating cross talk on binaural recordings and the realism that one can get with headphones is pretty darn close using loudspeakers.
It is good unit and is very quite for the time period of the electronics.
I don't recall any recordings to recommend as it was many years ago I was using it in that capacity and most were ambient sounscapes or nature recordings.
I mainly used the unit for home recordings I did with a dummy mic and using it to expand stereo recordings.

View attachment 80934

View attachment 80935

The quad version was never produced but I did get a circuit diagram they used in the patient process when I contacted JVC engineers in the late 80's. Not sure where that is hiding at the moment.

Here is the link to the circuit diagram I posted years ago

Ok ,wonderful, and thanks, Mark. :)

Good timing ? Oh yeah I heard you rumbling through your closet......;)

So anyways did you ever try your unit with any Holophonics?....such as Pink Floyd's-Final Cut or Roger Waters' -Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking..?

Or just recordings such as those by , Can , Edgar Froese , Lou Reed ....etc. ?

I don't know of any Q-biphonic releases , but...

Isao Tomita ..had at least 4 , (maybe more ), of his albums encoded
with Bi-phonics.

Firebird
Pictures At An Exibibition
Snowflakes Are Dancing
and
Bermuda Triangle (as per obi strip)
16773669026437449867772304330388.jpg

Somewhere on QQ is a post I did with the schematics for the Quad Biphonic processor that never made it to production. I wonder how they made a binaural release of the Tomita titles, dummy head recording while playing back quad?

Somewhere on QQ is a post I did with the schematics for the Quad Biphonic processor that never made it to production. I wonder how they made a binaural release of the Tomita titles, dummy head recording while playing back quad?
Maybe ,as he did use a large arsenal of equipment .

Well it was widely rumoured back when that Tomita used some type of processing that would be compatible to a Regular Matrix . But I think the jury is still out, although Sansui so recognized his record The Planets as a quiet QS .

But it would seem his Binaural surround preference was Bi Phonics ...
also JVC 'S and also named as ...Pyramid Sound .

I was mucking about on discogs the other day and out of curiosity I checked out some binaural recordings by Manfred Schunke recorded at Delta Acoustic Studios , in Berlin.
He encoded the 3 Arista albums by Lou Reed , fwiw., with of course his version of "Dummy Head" or "Kunstophe" mixes.
Also there were many I remember seeing on the Brain Record label back in the 70's .
So here I go with more of his 3D Kunstophe recordings :

Various Kunstophe Dimensionen....Delta-Acoustic 10-130-1
Various Alte Musik -Kostproben.....Delta-Acoustic 25-129-1, 25-129-2(cassette)
Various Kunstophe Stereophonie...Delta-Acoustic DA-1001
Various Kopfsongs Folklore............Delta-Acoustic 25-127-1
Jane -Between Heaven And Hell... Brain 60 . 055
Code III -Planet Of Man.. Acoustic/Membran 25-125-1
Nektar - Live In New York City..Bellaphon Bacillus BLS 5557 , Legend WZ90120
Birth Control - Increase....Brain 0060 . 066
Madhouse - From The East ..Antagon ALP 3232
Sand -Golem...Acustic 25-128-1
Can - Can ...Mute/Spoon ...XCD Spoon 39/40
Can -Saw Delight...Mute
Can -Flowmotion...Mute
Harlis-Night Meets The Day...SKY 008
Hoelderlin -Rare Birds...Speigelei Int. 160 . 608
Message - Using The Head...Brain 0060 . 078
Harald Vogel -Die Schnitger-Orgel...Delta-Acustic 25-133
Red Light Sister-Gate...Brain 0060 . 093
Axel Zwingenberger-Boogie Woogie Breakdown..Telefunken 6.23657 AS
SEEDOG-We Hope To See You ...Delta-Acustic 25-126-1
Ensemble Basarabia -Balkan Express...Delta-Acustic 25-152-1

So mostly Krautrock type of releases.
I believe I listed The Can , Jane , Nektar, and Birth Control albums previously.

Back