DTS-CD Lehar's "Paganini" in DTS 4.0

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cracower

Hello everybody!

Maybe some words about me first. I come from Poland and found your Forum some time ago. Impressed by the idea of making quadraphonic from SQ-encoded CDs, I tried. Using scripts posted by Mr. kempfand (thank you, it's wonderful what you've done!), I decoded my EMI recording of Franz Lehar's operetta "Paganini", starrring Gedda, Rothenberger, Miljakovic, Zednik and Kusche with Willi Boskovsky conducting Bayerische Symphonie-Orchester.
Here you can see the original SQ edition: http://www.amazon.com/Franz-Lehar-Rothenberger-Miljakovic-Quadraphonic/dp/B000XSGCPQ
And here is the CD remastered version, which I own: http://www.amazon.com/Lehár-Paganini-Franz-Lehar/dp/B000005GT3

Decoded to DTS-CD 4.0, it sounds brilliant! Especially dialogs between musical numbers they're made so realistic, that you can precisely imagine, what's happening.

What am I interested in - i own some other EMI recordings of operettas froms 1970s, but (as i know) only "Paganini" and Strauss' "Wiener Blut" were released as SQ LPs. But is there a possibility, that another CDs are also SQ encoded, although the original matrix has never been released as quadrahponical vinyl? Or only those CDs, which were before released as SQs o QSs are encoded..?

Greetings from Cracow, Poland!

Cracower:

If memory serves me correctly all the ANGEL vinyl quad releases that were re-released as CD's maintained their SQ encoding. Since ANGEL was a predominately a classical music label there should be CD's that suit your taste. If I am incorrect one of the other board members will correct me.

BTY, welcome aboard!

Justin

Last edited:
That's true - my next target is EMI's "Polish recording" of Mussorgsky's "Boris Godunov" - with some Polish soloists, Polish orchestra, choir ("Cracow Philharmonic Choir", coming form my city) and conductor.

But my question is about another thing - as I've read here: http://members.cox.net/surround/quaddisc/emiquad.htm
It says:
"I believe from 1973 onwards all EMI classical releases were Quad,
however the rear channel information may have been reduced to appease
the Stereo purists. Remember on a Stereo system, a Quad record is not
stereo but Lt and Rt. The early quad release did have too much ambience
when played on a stereo system, when not first decoded through an SQ
matrix, to remove the rear channel information (compatible Quad).
(...)
As time went by, and with
the confusion of competing Quad systems, the word Quad disappeared from
record covers, but a quick check of the vinyl stamper number will reveal
a Quad master!"

So, is it possible, that the CD editions of recordings made in 1970 (even if they weren't marked as SQ), maybe SQ encoded?

Thank you, that's a pure pleasure to be on your Forum!

Back