Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Mettler seems to have given up on reviewing outstanding streaming tracks in his "Spatial Audio File" column at Sound and Vision--which makes me all the more grateful for @sjcorne picking up the slack at IAA. Last week, he dropped his third annual (so far--maybe he could be convinced to go monthly or bi-monthly?) set of picks for Best Immersive Singles.
Ask and ye shall receive!
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/spatial-audio-highlights-may-2023/

Has anyone managed to find the Pet Sounds mix on Amazon yet? The press release has gone very big on telling us the Atmos is on Tidal, Apple and Amazon but I can't see it on the latter...
This was a bit news for me. A big fan of this great mono-LP, I own its 5.1 mix and now I can't wait Monday when I have possible to hear this new Atmos.

This was a bit news for me. A big fan of this great mono-LP, I own its 5.1 mix and now I can't wait Monday when I have possible to hear this new Atmos.
Checked Amazon music yesterday; it says there's an Atmos version, of Pet Sounds, but only one song is in Atmos!
Anyway, listened to the album on Apple Music
I'll still take my DVD/A, any day of the week
Atmos? MEH

Thought I'd put these comments from Giles here, referring to Pet Sounds

well it's far less of a stuff up than the 5.1 on the old DVD-Audio.. "God Only Knows" what happened there 🤭😅

although curiously that looked like Mark Linett sitting in the studio with Brian Wilson in that clip? so i guess he was still involved in the new Atmos mix somehow anyway..!? 👀🧐

I like it, though! I believe Dennis "Roc A.M." Jones mixed both Erykah Badu albums currently available (Baduizm and Mama's Gun).
it's a fabulous album and the mixes are Surround-y and all.. but on that one it's a bit disconcerting flip-flopping around the speakers in such a fashion.. not sure it adds anything or enhances it particularly, musically speaking? 🤔

also weird, i'm only getting 4 tracks (2. 5, 9 & 11) in Atmos for some spooky reason.. the others are all Stereo 😔🤷🏻‍♀️

IMG_8841.jpeg

it's a fabulous album and the mixes are Surround-y and all.. but on that one it's a bit disconcerting flip-flopping around the speakers in such a fashion.. not sure it adds anything or enhances it particularly, musically speaking? 🤔

also weird, i'm only getting 4 tracks (2. 5, 9 & 11) in Atmos for some spooky reason.. the others are all Stereo 😔🤷🏻‍♀️

View attachment 92319
All ATMOS in CA Adam.
One thing I really liked when I listened last night was the gapless feel to the whole album.
She is coming to Oakland Coliseum on June 21st, contimplating going?

View attachment 92319
What--you're gonna make me listen carefully & critically now...? Just Roc deciding to get freaky on that one, I reckon. Agreed, though, it's a little queasy-making.

That "Reissue [Bonus Tracks]" version doesn't show up this side of the pond; just the plain-vanilla, with 14 tracks? All Atmos.

Wish I could catch Ms. Badu in Oaktown, @marpow, but I can't swing that six-hour drive just then.

was this previously one of the fake Schmatmos mixes? 🤔 hope they've redone it properly now 🤞 unless i'm misremembering 🤭 in which case, great new track! 😋🙃🤣
Haven't updated my personal Schmatmos spreadsheet in a while, but yes: this track was part of the original Schmatmos drop--and subsequently part of the "Great Retraction" of Nov.-Dec. 2022. "Through the Fire" was also disappeared but hasn't resurfaced.

Back