Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Oscar Peterson & John Coltrane should arrive in the next hour & a half from CDJapan, along with Santana's Welcome
I had Oscar Peterson on the brain! its the Duke Ellington & John Coltrane SACD, just as good :), had a listen after it arrived and for a 61 year old recording its remarkably clear.

Jeff Buckley GRACE [Columbia Records/ORG Stereo SACD remaster] IMO, a definitive SACD remaster from the original analogue tapes

71EVmOCfsBL._SL1200_.jpg

51EABB3B-C79A-4AFE-BE49-59280028FABB.jpeg

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colussus

One one my favourite jazz albums ever.
This Analog Productions SACD sparkles…. maybe a bit too much?
My recollection of the DCC Gold CD was of a warmer presentation with more body.
So I played the latter for comparison; and my memory was right.
Though the bass is noticeably tubbier the DCC is a more relaxed listen and the cymbals are better.
I prefer it by a small margin.
Both are good, in the future my mood will determine which version gets played.

Last edited:
699AE204-4E70-4CC1-B343-F67F46AE639D.jpeg

Miles Davis - Seven Steps To Heaven

Glad MoFi did this one, I missed the AP SACD released a few years ago. Like the album, probably better than most of his albums of that era.
Always been intrigued by the album cover.
Is that a blurry sideways shot of Miles looking back at us?

Last edited:
View attachment 99036
Miles Davis - Seven Steps To Heaven

Glad MoFi did this one, I missed the AP SACD released a few years ago. Like the album, probably better than most of his albums of that era.
Always been intrigued by the album cover.
Is that a blurry sideways shot of Miles looking back at us?
Analogue Production's version is THREE CHANNEL, Rang as was AP's Miles Davis' Someday My Prince Will Come

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=6618&showall=1

R.02a0367e9d0b90371bf0236b777c7951

Last edited:
I’ll leave it for others to say if this is the best version on disc, but goodness... there’s nothing like cranking an early Van Halen to get your blood flowing!

I have my receiver set to Multichannel Stereo so I’m hearing it on all the ear level and height speakers which, barring an official surround mix, is a great way to experience albums like this.

A great way to kick off the weekend.

(Side note: I’m at the age where just looking at DLR on the back of the album can make my back hurt.)

Van_Halen_VanHalen_800x.jpg

foobar2000 1.6.13 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2023-12-13 15:40:49

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Van Halen / Van Halen (MOFI Ultradisc stereo)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR13 -4.18 dB -19.62 dB 3:36 01-Runnin' With The Devil
DR11 -6.73 dB -21.05 dB 1:42 02-Eruption
DR12 -4.62 dB -19.60 dB 2:38 03-You Really Got Me
DR13 -4.71 dB -19.94 dB 3:49 04-Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
DR12 -4.36 dB -18.79 dB 3:46 05-I'm The One
DR13 -4.61 dB -19.90 dB 3:30 06-Jamie's Cryin'
DR12 -4.97 dB -18.99 dB 3:02 07-Atomic Punk
DR12 -6.64 dB -20.75 dB 3:42 08-Feel Your Love Tonight
DR13 -5.57 dB -20.51 dB 3:23 09-Little Dreamer
DR12 -4.25 dB -20.82 dB 3:20 10-Ice Cream Man
DR14 -4.22 dB -20.39 dB 3:02 11-On Fire

Number of tracks: 11
Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 88200 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 2815 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

Not sure about everyone else, but this song has always been my favorite of the album.......I mean, if this doesn't give you an adrenaline rush......nothing will.
Also just noticed that this song has the highest dynamic range value at 14. It does seriously crank and packs a wallop.

If I listen to the disc without my sub, it sounds flatter like I remember. But using bass management, with sub engaged.... damn. It hits hard.

1702504533200.png

folder.jpg

Now this is why I should go back in catalogs of my favorite bands, and listen to these albums once again. When Counterparts was released, I was seriously stoked as it was a more back to basics album for Rush. They continued what they had started on Presto and cut back even more on the keyboards. The last time I listened to this album was probably 3 years ago. I have owned this SACD for 2 years, but never got around to listening. There was a discussion where @edisonbaggins mentioned his love for this album. My memories were that I liked it, but didn't love it. Because I am old, I had forgotten that I, myself, loved it upon release. I think I had soured so much on Kevin Shirley that I grouped this album in with some of his other work. He wasn't the producer here, but the engineer (if I remember). He really gave Geddy an amazing bass sound on this album.

The story, as I remember it, was they found an old amp in the garbage at the studio. They pulled it out and it still worked, and sounded amazing. You can tell from the first song, "Animate", that this was going to be different from the last several albums. I have to say I like EVERY song on here....except..."The Speed of Love". That one, I still can't stand. But, everything else is straight fiyah! And, they got self-indulgent again on "Double Agent". I have NO problem with self-indulgence, mind you. That is a critical term to describe good musicianship by critics. So, thanks Baggy for suggestion that I listen again.

And, Kevin Gray did a great job here. I thought this mix was a mess. I got it confused with their last three albums.

View attachment 99703

Now this is why I should go back in catalogs of my favorite bands, and listen to these albums once again. When Counterparts was released, I was seriously stoked as it was a more back to basics album for Rush. They continued what they had started on Presto and cut back even more on the keyboards. The last time I listened to this album was probably 3 years ago. I have owned this SACD for 2 years, but never got around to listening. There was a discussion where @edisonbaggins mentioned his love for this album. My memories were that I liked it, but didn't love it. Because I am old, I had forgotten that I, myself, loved it upon release. I think I had soured so much on Kevin Shirley that I grouped this album in with some of his other work. He wasn't the producer here, but the engineer (if I remember). He really gave Geddy an amazing bass sound on this album.

The story, as I remember it, was they found an old amp in the garbage at the studio. They pulled it out and it still worked, and sounded amazing. You can tell from the first song, "Animate", that this was going to be different from the last several albums. I have to say I like EVERY song on here....except..."The Speed of Love". That one, I still can't stand. But, everything else is straight fiyah! And, they got self-indulgent again on "Double Agent". I have NO problem with self-indulgence, mind you. That is a critical term to describe good musicianship by critics. So, thanks Baggy for suggestion that I listen again.

And, Kevin Gray did a great job here. I thought this mix was a mess. I got it confused with their last three albums.
I guess that’s the silver lining about getting old…surprises around every corner when you rediscover things you forgot about 🙃

Sonny Rollins-Sonny Rollins On Impulse! Orginally released 1965.
This new stereo SHM SACD released 11/29/2023 on the Japanese Acoustic Sounds SACD Series. You can pick them on the less expensive side via Amazon. Great Jazz Masters to fill the holes in your already Jazz SACD collection.
DSD64-DSF File-DR's are 13's, 14's, 16. (5 Tracks).
R-29169835-1702275990-6907.jpg

Leonard Bernstein conducting the New York Philharmonic THE RITE OF SPRING/PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION [Columbia Masterworks/Stereo SACD] Celebrating Lenny's Centennial, Sony Japan released this exceptional SACD remaster and on my new system in SUPER DSP MODE the sound is BREATHTAKING and highly discrete!

product image 1

Herbie Hancock FUTURE SHOCK [Columbia/Sony Japan hybrid Stereo SACD] Pardon my French while I catch my breath but HOLY SHITE, this 2000 SACD from SONY is AWESOME ...and then some. Have had it for years but playing it on my new system in SUPER DSP mode with everything swirling all around and heart pounding BASS [coming from 4 phase aligned subs on the Meridian speakers] is a sonic REVELATION. And a NATURAL for Chucky's Surround Master!!!!! DSD mastered by Mark Wilder.

https://www.discogs.com/release/5347754-Herbie-Hancock-Future-Shock
Primary

This SACD was the last recording to arrive at my hose in 2023.
Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, 1963. SHM SACD Japanese from the Acoustic Sounds Series 11/19/2023, from Amazon.
DSD64-DSF file. DR's are 12, 13's, 14 , 15's.
According to Discogs there are 20 Jazz release's in ACOUSTIC SOUND SERIES
View attachment 99866
That's the one I got as well, they knew how to record well back then

Back