Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drops Of Jupiter must be a repress from 2001. They started to do represses lately.
I have the original SONY single layer Stereo SACD which I purchased from Amazon in 2007 for $4.55 + s/h:

51YFWBW35RL.jpg

Drops Of Jupiter must be a repress from 2001. They started to do represses lately.
No. The 2001 release was on Columbia. This listing at ImportCDs is for a new Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab release due out in February, likely derived from the same source and mastering as their previously released vinyl reissue of Drops of Jupiter. This will likely be much more dynamic than the 2001 original CD or SACD release, unless the mixes themselves are dynamically poor.

No. The 2001 release was on Columbia. This listing at ImportCDs is for a new Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab release due out in February, likely derived from the same source and mastering as their previously released vinyl reissue of Drops of Jupiter. This will likely be much more dynamic than the 2001 original CD or SACD release, unless the mixes themselves are dynamically poor.
Since, IMO, MoFi has been on a roll lately releasing some exceptional Stereo SACDs, doubtful it will be a disappointment, especially considering US licensing fees are so extraordinarily HIGH!

I have the original SONY single layer Stereo SACD which I purchased from Amazon in 2007 for $4.55 + s/h:

51YFWBW35RL.jpg
Both your SACD and my CD’s dynamic range is quite low with the CD being the worst. I don’t own the MFSL but if it does come out, I’ll order it.
For shits [and giggles], Jeffrey I just played my original Columbia 2002 single layered stereo SACD on my 'tank like' Marantz SA 11S3 dedicated Stereo SACD/CD spinner and it wasn't as compressed as you make it out to be. I'd give it a 7 out of a possible 10. Is there room for improvement ....I'm sure with MoFi's QUAD oversampling mastered from the original master tapes it will sound much improved!

Did I get my $4.55 worth from an Amazon 3rd party seller [actually mint condition with original slipcover] ..... YES, indeed! Will I buy the MoFi version...will await reviews!

For shits [and giggles], Jeffrey I just played my original Columbia 2002 single layered stereo SACD on my 'tank like' Marantz SA 11S3 dedicated Stereo SACD/CD spinner and it wasn't as compressed as you make it out to be. I'd give it a 7 out of a possible 10. Is there room for improvement ....
There sure the hell is! But, comparing it to the CD version? Whoa!

Drops Of Jupiter (2001 SACD)
Drops Of Jupiter (2001 CD)

The Young Rascals GROOVIN' [Atlantic Records/MoFi MONO SACD remaster] An outstanding remaster from the folks @ MoFi

Groovin - The Young Rascals | Disque SACD
I agree. This one is a winner. The only thing I can't figure is why MoFi added a fold of A Beautiful Morning for their bonus track. Chronologically, time-wise, it certainly makes historical sense, but If there is no dedicated mono mix of the original stereo single, why not include a definitive stereo remaster of it instead of an inferior mono fold down. Just my two cents. As always, YMMV.

After I listened to Dire Straits-On Every Street last night, which was so exceptional, I felt like more Dire Straits.
I have them all I think, but I have 4 other MOFI's that match four Japanese SHM SACD's, I did a taste of MOFI vs SHM SACD and i prefered the SHM SACD's.
I looked through the MOFI site this morning and they have quite a few good ones on sale, I already have them.
Out of the 9 pages showing I think I am missing about 5?
https://mofi.com/collections/digital

75A3CB7C-FE64-4E71-ACF9-BF98CFAD30A1.jpeg

Grateful Dead - Workingman’s Dead

I’d read that this was the best version of this album so when it and American Beauty went on sale for $19.99 I grabbed them.
The sound starts out really shakey, the first three tracks are muffled and seem to suffer from flutter (or something) for lack of a better term. Maybe the tape is in bad shape. Gets a bit better from track 4 onwards.
The music is OK.

Hmmm, it says SACD Surround Sound on the back. Is it?
But the STEREO SACD box is highlighted in BLACK, Gene. I assure you, it's STEREO! But it is a bit deceptive! And what a great album! But when played back through the SUPER DSP mode of my pre/pro...front to back separation was AMAZING!

Back