• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

HiRez Poll Marillion - SCRIPT FOR A JESTER'S TEAR [Blu-Ray Audio]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the BDA of Marillion - SCRIPT FOR A JESTER'S TEAR

• 10: Great Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

Deek57

Script for a Jester's Tear 5.1 Album Review
Plus the Engineer's Perspective, featuring emails from Andy Bradfield and Avril Mackintosh
Fantastic review, I have never been a Marillion fan, I remember first hearing them on BBC Radio 1's Friday Rock Show (hosted by Tommy Vance. I recorded the session they did, played it a few times all the time thinking they were pretty good but sounded like Genesis clones, this was before they had a recording contract. Then they seemed to disappear, it was a long time before they signed a deal. (as parrtly mentioned in the Greasepaint Doc) by the time they got a record out things had changed for me, marriage, a child so records became rare treats, a new(ish) band like Marillion had no chance of making my wants list. Anyway, your review piqued my interest, so much content in the Script special edition, value for money, even though you state the surround mix is not very immersive I still thought I need to check this out, all the places I looked to order it was unavailable/out of stock. Still, there is always a way so I went down that road, (I particularly like the Script Recital concert video) I've been playing the life out of all of it the past week. I have since been able to order a copy, only £25, it'll probably take forever to get here due to the current lockdown situation, my first ever Marillion purchase. I know what my vote will be, but I'll wait until my proper copy arrives. Thank you.

perzon57

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Finally got this,the release was pushed back to April 18.:rolleyes:
Not much in rears here,but like the music and fidelity is high. :) Gave it 8.

RuudMans

A 6 for me too. In understand the difficulties involved in getting this surround mix done, but I don't take that into consideration when I listen to it. I let my ears be the judge, not the back story.

knifeman

Oh dear Mary Fahl to Marillion, one excellent surround mix one very lacking in anything special. Very kind I think calling it big stereo.
Happy to own music 10/10 it but disappointed by the mix, almost Silverlined.
That's why I like to try to arrange my listening in an ascending order of sound quality. I've done what you did more than once, making a bad recording sound even worse.

Deek57

My Script deluxe is on the way, was hoping it would be here today, tracking says Monday.
Edit, arrived Sunday.

Last edited:

minimumtumbleweed

Finally got around to listening to the surround mix... I'm actually pleasantly surprised. As many have already noted, the fidelity is crystal clear somehow, which is great, and I am actually OK with the relatively non-discrete surround mix on this one. This kind of reminds me of the issue with Misplaced Childhood, it was kind of like Steven Wilson was clutching at straws (ha) with that one, something he himself noted in the difficulties of remixing that album. These older Fish releases were just really stripped down, which isn't a bad thing, but hard to get into this format. I still don't like the Clutching at Straws remix though; that one has a bunch of other issues...

I give this one an 8; I think they did a good job with what they had to work with.

Group builder