Music DVD Poll Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells 2010 Deluxe Edition

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the 5.1 mix of "Tubular Bells"

• Total voters

rusinurbe

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
very good surround mix from the original tapes. Much more adventurous that I had expected.

Looses a mark for being only Dulby Digital and not DTS

duncan_england

To be honest, I think there have been so many reissues/remixes of this classic I don't rate the 5.1 at all!! Why issue yet another stereo mix and the original again? I'm glad I bought the larger box set with the demos on, with the booklet and poster and the vinyl. The DVD version of second house has been around for years, but I spose not everyone has seen it.

Overall it's okay, but we've been spoilt over the years with remixes of TB 1. I always go for the first version as that's what I know.

channelar

Since 2002/2003
I picked this up in Fame in Amsterdam yesterday. Having both the Quad mix SACD and the 2003 Re-recorded DVDA I like this the best. The mix is subtle but everywhere and complements the music. There is a warmth to the sound that was missing on all other versions. I wouldn't have noticed the fact it was AC3 until I read it here (there was nothing to select). It sounds fabulous on my Universal Oppo BDP80 but then nearly everything does.

Unrelated to the music the item I have really enjoyed with this disc is the animated graphic of the cover that acts as a screen saver and compliments the work perfectly. Neil (hint hint), if its possible with DVD-A's (and if they are being reworked), I would love to see something like this on the forthcoming Crimsons. Beck did something similar with the DVD-A's of 'Seachange' and 'Guero'.

This TV isn't subject to screen burn but most of the other screens I use are. I find I avoid SACD's and DTS CD's on the Oppo as the screen saver doesn't activate while the Title display is on and the image is mostly static for the period of the album. It not as bad but there is limited movement with with many DVD-A's and audio DVD-V's. I could up and turn the picture off but I find it a nuisance to reorganise everything every time I change a disc. Too much work. This is an artistic solution to the audio that is an evolution on holding a 12" cover in your hands while listening to the original record.

I've never been a fan of the other two re-releases but I'm going off now to hunt them down based on the quality of this.

duncan_england

Channelar, when you have purchased the Ommadawn deluxe set, play the "lost version" on disc 2. Watch out for the Viv Stanshall like Joke conversation. Brilliant in 4 channel!! Mike always hides something in his releases.

channelar

Since 2002/2003
Thanks for the tip... I went out to attempt to purchase the other two Deluxe Mike Oldfield editions yesterday. I managed to acquire 'Hergest Ridge' but unfortunately 'Ommadawn' was sold out and further stock is not expected for two weeks. Pretty amazing as they had an abundant supply mid week. Now on a quest.