Moody Blues "To Our Children's Children's Children" (New Stephen W Tayler 5.1 Mix!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just purchased tickets to see Justin Hayward and Atlantic City June 10. I can't count how many times I've seen him and The Moody. Maybe I should have just bought a VIP package so I can ask Justin if I can have a copy of TOCCC but I doubt he has even heard about it.
And he's touring with Christopher Cross... What is that all about?

If it helps any in a buying decision: Seventh Sojourn on DVD-Audio (the 5.1 layer) is one of my favorite classic rock discs in surround,
along with Roxy Music/avalon and Lyle Lovett/Joshua Judges Ruth. All 3 of these have outstanding remixes...

If it helps any in a buying decision: Seventh Sojourn on DVD-Audio (the 5.1 layer) is one of my favorite classic rock discs in surround,
along with Roxy Music/avalon and Lyle Lovett/Joshua Judges Ruth. All 3 of these have outstanding remixes...

Thanks for the reminder about JJR - haven't listened to that for some time!

As much as I like this album, without a US distributer and a lower price I'm passing on this. The UK price is just way too high for something I'm not a crazy fan of. It's a shame that so many record companies are making the calculation that selling a smaller number of overpriced/padded box sets will be more profitable than a selling a higher number of widely distributed but smaller BD or BD/CD packages.

As much as I like this album, without a US distributer and a lower price I'm passing on this. The UK price is just way too high for something I'm not a crazy fan of. It's a shame that so many record companies are making the calculation that selling a smaller number of overpriced/padded box sets will be more profitable than a selling a higher number of widely distributed but smaller BD or BD/CD packages.

Also, I suspect that they may have underestimated the response to this title. It is certainly much less costly than the latest $300 Dark Side Of The Moon (almost) uberbox. Why both this Moody's set and DSOFTM lack the original quad mixes is beyond me.

And no Atmos in a 2023 BD package? Can SWT explain why no Atmos, or did I miss that already?

And no Atmos in a 2023 BD package? Can SWT explain why no Atmos, or did I miss that already?
I believe Mr. Tayler is not currently set up for Atmos mixing.
Atmos is overrated...except when it comes out really great, then it is underrated. Does that make sense? LOL I would suspect that SWT would make killer Atmos mixes.

Atmos is overrated...except when it comes out really great, then it is underrated. Does that make sense? LOL I would suspect that SWT would make killer Atmos mixes.
I do too, that's why I assumed he did Atmos, cuz he's damn good at 5.1 and the work is a remix of an existing, so I assumed Atmos. My bad, to the readers and of course to @Stephen W Tayler .

It’s a very relevant question - there are several reasons.

Yes, I am not currently set up with a system for Atmos, but I am in the process of getting involved.

It seems not all projects are commissioned for Atmos versions, and many of the projects I have mixed were actually completed some time ago. I do appreciate that demand is building.

It isn’t as simple as just choosing an extra output format, it requires more time to reconfigure and rethink. I wouldn’t want to just rely on a downscaling from Atmos to 5.1 and stereo - so far my main focus has been to refine my vision for 5.1 and stereo versions. It also means it will require more budget and more time!

I do expect my approach to extra channels to be somewhat cautious - there seems to be a demand for gimmicky and discrete use of the extra channels, and that has almost never been my goal. For me it's the mix itself rather than the format that is important, and how it suits the material, the emotions and atmospheres. I treat mixing like creating a movie - sometimes you want the screen to be full of detail, but other times the colour, depth of field and the focus is what it is all about. Sometimes black and white works!!

You also have to bear in mind that new mixes for albums like this are derived from 8 and 4 track tapes - and the way those recordings were structured leaves you with only so much control - although new technology does allow for some deconstruction and separation - again it depends on how the particular original production was made. Artists had to be very decisive then, and there was no undo button!

Enough said for now!! SWT

Last edited:
But why do they have to make people sweat like this? I'm sticking with my order from BS because there is no BS.
Completely agree! Sometimes pre-ordering from Amazon US is like playing the lottery. Sometimes it ships, sometimes it doesn't; sometimes they honor the pre-order price guarantee, sometimes they don't. Once my pre-order was canceled because they never got enough stock.

Every order I've ever placed with Burning Shed has shipped on time and was well packaged. I'll be sticking with them for this MB set as well. I should use them more often!

Back