New John Luther Adams "Become Trilogy" set with 1 new piece and 2 new Atmos mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
Cantaloupe Music announced yesterday the September 25th release of a new box set of pieces by John Luther Adams, comprising Become Ocean, Become Desert, and the never-before-released Become River. The physical box set is RBCD-only, although it will include new remasterings of the first two pieces. Ocean and Desert were previously released in lossy 5.1 (on DVD-V) and Desert in Dolby Atmos (as an MP4 download).

BUT:
  • All three pieces will also be available as downloads only in remixed & remastered 5.1 and Atmos versions.
Details on Cantaloupe's Bandcamp site:

https://johnlutheradams.bandcamp.com/album/the-become-trilogy

Last edited:
That's good news. How was Desert in Atmos?
I've heard the 5.1 mixes on a couple of Adams' albums and been impressed, and expect he'd make use of the height speakers.

That's good news. How was Desert in Atmos?
I've heard the 5.1 mixes on a couple of Adams' albums and been impressed, and expect he'd make use of the height speakers.

Yeah--I like the 5.1 mixes just fine. Atmos definitely gave Desert more "lift" (even with only 2 overhead speakers), and it may have broadened the overall soundfield a bit too. But the 5.1 was already quite spacious. As for the difference in clarity or resolution between "lossy" DTS and Atmos 24-48? I can't say, and I haven't A/B'd them.

Supposedly the engineer is preparing a short video where he talks about the differences between the original masterings and the new ones. It's not crystal-clear from the wording on the Bandcamp page whether the existing 5.1 and Atmos mixes have been re-done, too.

Yeah--I like the 5.1 mixes just fine. Atmos definitely gave Desert more "lift" (even with only 2 overhead speakers), and it may have broadened the overall soundfield a bit too. But the 5.1 was already quite spacious. As for the difference in clarity or resolution between "lossy" DTS and Atmos 24-48? I can't say, and I haven't A/B'd them.

Supposedly the engineer is preparing a short video where he talks about the differences between the original masterings and the new ones. It's not crystal-clear from the wording on the Bandcamp page whether the existing 5.1 and Atmos mixes have been re-done, too.

thanks for the info
If the engineer is going to talk about differences that suggests something noteworthy

thanks for the info
If the engineer is going to talk about differences that suggests something noteworthy

Well, since Cantaloupe posted this on their Facebook page today, then I guess I can repost it here:

Here’s what engineer Nathaniel Reichman has to say about the remasters:​

“When the idea for the Become Trilogy was first set in motion in 2019, I knew immediately that it would be a lost opportunity if I told Cantaloupe Music to simply take the old masters and place the new Trilogy cover on them. While JLA and I put a lot of effort into the original mixes for Ocean and Desert, there was something about the percussion parts in both pieces that I always wanted to revisit and rethink. Now, with this unique opportunity to remaster these pieces for the trilogy release, I’ve gone back and blended the percussion with the orchestra in a more cohesive way, while simultaneously making each piece more dynamic. All three pieces were also (re)mixed into the three-dimensional, immersive Dolby Atmos format. Desert had already been available in Atmos, but this is the first time Ocean can be heard in Atmos, and the result is a much more powerful and expansive listening experience. Finally, while River may initially appear to be something simpler on paper, it’s an absolutely captivating piece that ties all three pieces together. I’m very proud of this premiere recording. Enjoy.”​

There's more that wasn't posted--a confirmation that in addition to the new Atmos mixes, there is in fact a new/improved dedicated 5.1 mix of Ocean, as well. (And possibly of Desert too?) But I think they're still saving that for a video.

Anyway, the trilogy is officially out today. If you're interested in purchasing the 5.1 and/or Atmos mixes, go to the Bandcamp page and click the "Contact John Luther Adams" link to send a query. [OR (edit): see @Marplot 's posts #7 & 8, below.]

Last edited:
Well, since Cantaloupe posted this on their Facebook page today, then I guess I can repost it here:

Here’s what engineer Nathaniel Reichman has to say about the remasters:​

“When the idea for the Become Trilogy was first set in motion in 2019, I knew immediately that it would be a lost opportunity if I told Cantaloupe Music to simply take the old masters and place the new Trilogy cover on them. While JLA and I put a lot of effort into the original mixes for Ocean and Desert, there was something about the percussion parts in both pieces that I always wanted to revisit and rethink. Now, with this unique opportunity to remaster these pieces for the trilogy release, I’ve gone back and blended the percussion with the orchestra in a more cohesive way, while simultaneously making each piece more dynamic. All three pieces were also (re)mixed into the three-dimensional, immersive Dolby Atmos format. Desert had already been available in Atmos, but this is the first time Ocean can be heard in Atmos, and the result is a much more powerful and expansive listening experience. Finally, while River may initially appear to be something simpler on paper, it’s an absolutely captivating piece that ties all three pieces together. I’m very proud of this premiere recording. Enjoy.”​

There's more that wasn't posted--a confirmation that in addition to the new Atmos mixes, there is in fact a new/improved dedicated 5.1 mix of Ocean, as well. (And possibly of Desert too?) But I think they're still saving that for a video.

Anyway, the trilogy is officially out today. If you're interested in purchasing the 5.1 and/or Atmos mixes, go to the Bandcamp page and click the "Contact John Luther Adams" link to send a query.
I sent a request to buy ATmos last week, no reply?

that was quick. $35 USD, still a great price.

On behalf of John, thanks very much for your message.

For the 5.1 version of the Become Trilogy, we're asking our customers to add an additional $15 to the $20 digital download price ($35 total), along with a note requesting access to the 5.1 digital files.

We will then send you a Dropbox link — set up by John's engineer Nathaniel Reichman, with the files uploaded directly from his computer (we do it this way essentially for quality control purposes, so the files aren't transferred more than once) — so you can download the files.

Our apologies for the extra step and added expense, but for the moment this is the best way we can arrange this through Bandcamp, because the file sizes are quite large — about 10GB total.

Thanks again for your inquiry, and please let me know if you run into any problems.

best regards,

Bill Murphy

And they followed up with this tidbit:
And just in case you know anyone who might be interested in the Atmos versions, we're also asking the same price of $35 total.
best,

Bill

so yeah, how's that for choice? CD, download, 5.1 download, atmos download ...

Right. 35 bucks gets you the CD box set plus FLACs, mp3s, and streaming. Twenty bucks gets you the downloads and streaming without the physical discs. For an extra 15, they throw in either the 5.1 or the Atmos download. I don't know how they make any money off of that, but comparatively speaking, it's a steal.

Last edited:
Can just the Atmos mixes be purchased?

Not exactly, no. Still, given that Acoustic Sounds sells the original Atmos mix of Become Desert alone for $35--and given the prices that NativeDSD fetches for its downloads (usually at least $25 for a DSD 64 5.1 album), then thirty-five bucks for 92 minutes of JLA mixed for Atmos isn't so bad, even if you never use any of the other formats.

Last edited:
You can buy just the download Atmos version for $35 for the trilogy. Obviously it also includes stereo flac on bandcamp.

Nothing to be sorry about. When Bill replied to my 5.1 question I asked if I could share the information. His response was not only an enthiustiac yes, but he also provided the tidbit about the Atmos.

Nothing to be sorry about. When Bill replied to my 5.1 question I asked if I could share the information. His response was not only an enthiustiac yes, but he also provided the tidbit about the Atmos.

He's a great guy. Always replies promptly to queries, and volunteers lots of information. That's a label that cares about its customers--and now seems to be newly devoted to multi-channel & immersive audio. I don't know if Nathaniel Reichman mixes any other Cantaloupe artists, but I hope we see more multi-channel mixes from them in the future.

Yep, he seems a great guy.
After I bought the 5.1 download I asked about bolting on the difference to get the cd and he worked out a solution that worked to my benefit.
I am always happy to help out a small label, I just wish they carried more in my wheelhouse.

Yep, he seems a great guy.
After I bought the 5.1 download I asked about bolting on the difference to get the cd and he worked out a solution that worked to my benefit.
I am always happy to help out a small label, I just wish they carried more in my wheelhouse.

True, they don't have much else on the order of JLA, although some of Michael Gordon's large-ensemble pieces are similar, and there are recordings of music by other "Minimalists"--Reich, Riley, Glass, John Adams, Meredith Monk.

I like many of the works by the Bang on a Can "core" composers: Gordon, Julia Wolff, David Lang (some of his vocal pieces are really moving), Evan Ziporyn, Lisa Moore, Phil Kline (try John the Revelator), BOAC All Stars. Alarm Will Sound and So Percussion are usually lots of fun to listen to. There are a couple of Kronos Quartet albums. Contact's cover of Eno's Discreet Music is good, as is the Asphalt Orchestra's cover of Surfer Rosa.

The great thing about Cantaloupe's Bandcamp store, of course, is that you can stream just about everything before you buy...

Back