One Hit Wonder Day

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

well I guess I messed up on one band The Ventures I guess they had a few hits and even Led Zeppelin covered this song as an opening to one of their concerts back in the day

And speaking of Zep they opened for these dudes on their 1st concert dates on their 1st North American Tour

I never knew DICK CLARK was a PEDOPHILE!!! There’s absolutely no way he could ever get away with a comment like that today!!😂😂😂

Last edited:

And low a behold Neil Young/Rick James Band (yes that Rick James) from the Psychedelic 60’s in downtown Toronto on Yorkville

The mysterious death of Bobby Fuller:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Fuller

If curious do a Web search. There are Web sites digging into the mystery telling of the gal Bobby was seeing who supposedly had a Mafia boyfriend and then the LSD party thing and other affairs that make the death suspicious and mysterious.

This song would sound great in multi-channel
1639325058613.png

I do not have this DVD Audio, so I cannot comment on quality of surround but it is Silverline.

This next one rocks….I’d love to see their GREATEST HITS get the multi-channel treatment

My favourite Crowbar "hit" was "Too True Mama" Canada's first three sided single. The flip side included two songs.

A Foot In Cold Water was one of Canada's most underrated bands. "Make Me Do Anything You Want" was their biggest hit but virtually every single track from every album could have should have been a hit. They must have started running out of ideas on their third album as half of it included re-recorded versions of previously recorded tracks including "(Make Me Do) Anything You Want ". In every case the re-recorded versions were inferior to the originals.

Rough Trade had multiple hits as well but "High School Confidential" was the biggest. Their direct to disc album "Rough Trade Live!" remains my all around favourite.

And low a behold Neil Young/Rick James Band (yes that Rick James) from the Psychedelic 60’s in downtown Toronto on Yorkville

"American Pie" was one song that from the very first time that heard it I just knew that it was destined to be a monster hit. Personally didn't care for it at the time (too mellow) but it did grow on me over the years. I think that every top forty station had a DJ that had to write a piece about the songs real meaning (the death of Buddy Holly).

Don McLean's other notable hit was "Vincent". I recall in the movie "The Runaways", the band were driving around and Cherie Currie flips the radio onto a station playing "Vincent", Joan Jett quickly reacts, "turn that s#*t off". I guess that it was far too mellow for her!

Last edited:
I had "Itsy Bitsy..." as a kid and it was one of the 45's that got broken when I was riding my bike to my friend's to play records and I got too close to a parked car and the records I had strung on the handlebars got crunched by the tail fin. Boy was I MAD (at myself)!

Two others that got broken were "Zorro" by the Chordettes and "The Twist" by Chubby Checker. There were a couple others, too.

Doug

Tom T. Hall wrote Harper Valley PTA.

Some of these folks did have other hits. As mentioned earlier, Don McLean also had a hit with Vincent. I believe that Crying charted, too.

Dion had other hits like: Run Around Sue, The Wanderer, and Ruby Baby.

Nancy Sinatra had several other charted singles, Sugartown, Jackson and her duet w/Frank: Somethin' Stupid.

Vogues also had hits with You're the One and Turn Around, Look at Me.

Eddy Grant also had a Billboard US #2 hit with movie title tune Romancing the Stone.

Brian Hyland also charted with Sealed with a Kiss and Gypsy Woman.

Cowsills had other hits, too: The Rain, The Park and Other Things, and Indian Lake among others.

Ventures had several charted hits, Hawaii Five-0 among them.

An old customer of mine was in the memorabilia business. He gifted me an autographed pair of Carmine Appice's sticks. Carmine also signed my CD of Vanilla Fudge's first album.

Billy Preston had hits with Nothing from Nothing, Outta Space and Space Race. Had a chance to meet Billy at Beatlefest several years ago. Several of us were treated to an impromptu private concert at a grand piano set up outside the conference room at the O'Hare Hyatt where we met him.

Big fan of the 70's Canadian blues/boogie band Crowbar. I think I have all their stuff on CD's and LP's, mostly Canadian Stony Plain & Daffodil releases. I don't recall them having any hits in the US, though.

Five Americans had a few other hits, at least here in Chicago: Sound of Love, Zip Code and I See the Light. I'm sure they got lots of airplay in Texas and Oklahoma, where they're from. I bought all those Abnak 45's. I also bought this Sundazed CD:

https://www.discogs.com/release/6182635-The-Five-Americans-Western-Union

Back