One Hit Wonder Day

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Remembering all those wonderful one hit wonders. Who do you recall?

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-one-hit-wonder-day-september-25/
Here are a few for starters:

Macarena - Los Del Rio

You Were on My Mind - We Five

Oh, Babe, What Would You Say - Norman "Hurricane" Smith
EMI recording engineer turned singer

More, More, More - Andrea True Connection
Adult film star becomes disco singer...

What constitutes a one-hit-wonder? Is it an act that has only one song that makes the Billboard Top 100? There are a number of acts declared one-hit-wonders that actually have at least one other song that made the top 100:

Derek and the Dominoes had Layla, but they also released Bell Bottom Blues which barely charted at #91. Early on they released Tell The Truth, which appears not to have charted but is highly collectable.

R-1006288-1485041274-2696.jpeg.jpg

What constitutes a one-hit-wonder? Is it an act that has only one song that makes the Billboard Top 100? There are a number of acts declared one-hit-wonders that actually have at least one other song that made the top 100:

Derek and the Dominoes had Layla, but they also released Bell Bottom Blues which barely charted at #91. Early on they released Tell The Truth, which appears not to have charted but is highly collectable.

Very true. Most one-hit wonders seem to have one additional lesser hit (or more) that people forget about. For example, “Him” by Rupert Holmes.

(HOOONK!!! 30 yard penalty!)
Aw, come on, a-Ha does NOT count!!! I remember that"Cry Wolf" was pretty big ...obviously not as big as this one , but.. alas!!!
Yes Sir. I only knew them for that song and when ever it's mentioned it's always along with "one hit wonder." Then I checked wiki & found out their other big international hit was The Sun Always Shines. And 15 albums. And still active. So today I learned something new!

Yes Sir. I only knew them for that song and when ever it's mentioned it's always along with "one hit wonder." Then I checked wiki & found out their other big international hit was The Sun Always Shines. And 15 albums. And still active. So today I learned something new!
oohhh, The Sun Always Shines is another classic!
yeah... these guys really good! Remember seeing them on Live 8 and the singer looks like he has not aged at all!!!

Back