One Hit Wonder Day

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Rapper by The Jaggerz

I have 2 versions of this song. I have the 45 which has echo around the line "Coffee or tea, or me". Then I have a version on an album titled "20 Explosive Hits" which has a bunch of assorted songs. This version (and the one I listed) does NOT have the echo effect.
Side note: Concerning different versions, I have 2 versions of "Joy To The World" by Three Dog Night one that contains the guitar solo and one that doesn't. I also have 2 versions of "Pictures Of Matchstick Men" one with and one without the Wah-Wah.

Back in the day singles were almost always mono. The added echo and Wah-Wha effect would of been done to add some depth to the mono recordings and make them better stand out on AM radio. The same effects used to excess on album stereo versions I suspect would have been a bit over the top! Singles were often shortened as well, less than three minutes, I suppose that the general audience had a short attention span.
It's always nice to have both versions, frustrating that you rarely hear the original singles played on radio anymore, always the album version, most noticable if the track is much longer than the single was.

A couple of instrumentals from '60s TV commercials. If you remember the Benson & Hedges ads, and ads for Alka Seltzer...

The T-Bones - No Matter What Shape (Your Stomach's In)

Brass Ring – “The Disadvantages Of You”

I’ve been listening to music for 50 years and still today I’ll hear a different version of a song I’ve heard a million times. This one I think was taken off the radio because of its story, It’s one of my favorite!
Featuring a young Donnie Iris before his hit Ah Leah. Which some would argue is another one hit wonder.

Iron Butterfly IN~A~GADDA~DA~VIDA Surprisingly the only hit song I know from this rock group
My lady recently wanted this and I had no digital version. So she went on line and purchased a greatest hits disk. When it arrived and I ripped it for her I noticed the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida track was only 2:58 long. From back in my LP days, I knew that it took up an entire album side. Sure enough it was an edited for radio single version (if you're gonna have a hit you gotta make it fit, so they cut it down to 3:05...). I cant tell you how enraged she was about it. The next day she ordered the album with the full length title track. Buyer Beware.

Last edited:
Fastball “The Way”

Fastball is not a one-hit wonder. They also had "Out of my Head" which was nearly as big...and "You're an Ocean" was played as a single. They're also still going strong to this day and better than ever.
Very stylistically diverse group, and this is definitely probably my favorite song from them with its slick Mariachi vibe.

Last edited:
Back