Pearl Jam “Gigaton” in Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am an AppleTV+ subscriber and I will keep my eyes out for this tomorrow. SO STOKED!!!!

I am in love with the album, so I can't wait to hear it in this format.

From Variety: Pearl Jam’s ‘Gigaton Visual Experience’ Will Arrive Friday in Home Theaters

Pearl Jam had planned to release its “Gigaton Visual Experience” – a special audio-visual event around their new album — in theaters just before the album’s March 27 release, but the coronavirus pandemic obviously put that plan on hold.

Instead, the group announced today that the “Gigaton Visual Experience” will be available in home theaters starting Friday — and will be free to all Apple TV app users in over 100 countries for seven days — before being available to rent or buy. (Head here https://apple.co/PearlJam for more details.)

The event will be available in Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision, revolutionary audiovisual technologies developed by Dolby. It is only available as a limited time event on Apple TV 4K and on the Apple TV app in over 100 countries and regions for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Mac users. (To experience the album in Dolby Atmos or Dolby Vision, viewers will need an Apple TV 4K (paired with a Dolby Atmos and/or Dolby Vision enabled device) or compatible iPhone, iPad, or MacBook device.)

“I’m excited for fans to be able to immerse themselves in the sound and to hear the depth and layers of these songs and performances” explains Gigaton producer Josh Evans. “It’s truly a unique way to experience this album.”

Variety’s review of the album says in part: It might seem over the top to say that “Gigaton” is Pearl Jam’s best or most fully realized album since ”Ten.” But to paraphrase “Pal Joey’s” rakish Frank Sinatra talking about a sexual dry spell, “29 years is a long time between drinks.” And “Gigaton” is one stiff, glorious weird and zealously melodic cocktail.

I find it utterly laughable that someone would even try to say it's their best album since Ten. For fuck's sake. :rolleyes:
Yeah... but you never know, sometimes it's true... I'd say Styx's "The Mission" really is one of their best albums since their heyday, or, with a maybe less popular example, Alice in Chains 2018 "Rainier Fog" is right up there with there best Layne Staley stuff (IMO)... guess we'll see

Last edited:
Yeah... but you never know, sometimes it's true... I'd say Styx's "The Mission" really is one of their best albums since their heyday, or, with a maybe less popular example, Alive in Chains 2018 "Rainier Fog" is right up there with there best Layne Staley stuff (IMO)... guess we'll see

Well, the album (stereo) came out last month, I believe. So I'd assume that Strilo is judging and not prejudging it.
I find it enjoyable, obviously not their best, nor next to Ten, but I reckon it'd be a good experience to listen to it in Dolby Atmos.

Question, can I download an AppleTV+ App on an Android TV? (Sony), or the only way to get this is through an Apple device (ipad, Apple tv, and the likes?)

Well, the album (stereo) came out last month, I believe. So I'd assume that Strilo is judging and not prejudging it.
I find it enjoyable, obviously not their best, nor next to Ten, but I reckon it'd be a good experience to listen to it in Dolby Atmos.

Question, can I download an AppleTV+ App on an Android TV? (Sony), or the only way to get this is through an Apple device (ipad, Apple tv, and the likes?)
Whoops... didn't know it was already out :oops:

I guess (and hope) that somebody will be able to save the Apple TV stream in Atmos and share somewhere.... I like the album quite a lot, it cannot be compared with Ten by far, but nonetheless a very good one.
If instead of the streaming exclusive for Apple users they would sell it as a web download, they could get some easy money (at least from me)

Yes I've been listening to Gigaton heavily since it came out. And I do love it. The worship for Ten aside, there are a ton of great PJ albums every bit as good as Gigaton that have come out since Ten. Even if you subscribe to the thought that their early stuff is still best, which I emphatically do NOT, that POV is utterly dismissive of both Vs and Vitalogy, both of which are masterpieces and every bit as good as Ten.

Just download the AppleTV App on your smart tv :LB Most TVs have it :LB
What about those if us with "Dumb TV's"
MV5BMDUyYjIxM2EtMmU5NC00MWY5LWFiYTAtZWVlNjI2YTNlZmEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDcwNDI2MTk@._V1_SY1000_CR...jpg

I do not have an Atmos setup, just 5.1. I started watching Gigaton on my Apple TV and it's playing in stereo, I had hoped it would be downsampled to 5.1 but no joy. I guess my 13 year old Onkyo receiver is incapable of doing that ?

Back