Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More How Pink Floyd’s ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ got an accidental Toronto premiere 50 years ago'

Fifty years ago this week, Toronto radio listeners unwittingly enjoyed the world premiere of the classic Pink Floyd album “The Dark Side of the Moon.”

Call it a happy accident, because things weren’t supposed to quite work out that way. Back in 1973, Bob Roper was working as the Capitol Records promotion representative for Ontario. His job was to pitch Toronto radio stations his label’s latest music, with the hope that DJs and music directors would add it to their playlists.

Days before the official March 1, 1973 release of the latest opus by the British progressive rock outfit consisting of Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Richard Wright and Nick Mason, Roper was handed an advance copy of the album by his bosses.
“I found out that CPI were not going to book Pink Floyd because they didn’t think anybody wanted to see them,” Marsden said. “I started a petition to get people to say they’d buy tickets, and kids in high schools everywhere were setting up desks in the hallways to get people to sign it.”

The resulting show sold out in 45 minutes, with Pink Floyd’s debut Toronto performance on March 11, 1973: 11 days after “Dark Side’s” release.

So when Roper handed Marsden the vinyl platter four days before it was supposed to hit shelves and Marsden played it during his 6 to 10 p.m. slot — twice, from start to finish — Roper thought he had scored a coup.

“Until I went into the office the next morning and caught proper hell.”

It turns out that Pink Floyd’s management and Capitol Records worldwide had big plans for the premiere that Roper had accidentally ruined.

“We preceded the world premiere by four days and, of course, CHUM-FM was only available in the Toronto area,” Marsden said. “But it was a world premiere as far as I was concerned.”

Toronto got a head start on an album that became one of the world’s bestselling and most influential platters, trailing only Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” and the Eagles’ “Hotel California” in sales.

Music critic Jon Pareles marked the 50th in the Times with a piece that parenthetically acknowledges the album's surround history: "In 1973, Dark Side was an album that worked equally well to show off a new stereo--or, for a few early adopters, a quadraphonic system--or to be contemplated in private communion with headphones and a joint." (Here's a "gift" version of the link below, for non-subscribers who've used up their monthly quota of free articles.)
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/28/arts/music/pink-floyd-dark-side-of-the-moon-50th-anniversary.html
The best that NPR could muster was an embarrassing conversation with neuroscientist Daniel Levitin (author of This Is Your Brain on Music), where he applied pop psychology to the album's lyrics and indulged in the dopey sort of biographical interpretation you'd normally expect to hear in dorm rooms and subreddits. (The sun being eclipsed by the moon = a metaphor for Roger Waters emerging from Syd Barrett's shadow to assume leadership of the band, etc. Yeesh.)

Music critic Jon Pareles marked the 50th in the Times with a piece that parenthetically acknowledges the album's surround history: "In 1973, Dark Side was an album that worked equally well to show off a new stereo--or, for a few early adopters, a quadraphonic system--or to be contemplated in private communion with headphones and a joint." (Here's a "gift" version of the link below, for non-subscribers who've used up their monthly quota of free articles.)
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/28/arts/music/pink-floyd-dark-side-of-the-moon-50th-anniversary.html
The best that NPR could muster was an embarrassing conversation with neuroscientist Daniel Levitin (author of This Is Your Brain on Music), where he applied pop psychology to the album's lyrics and indulged in the dopey sort of biographical interpretation you'd normally expect to hear in dorm rooms and subreddits. (The sun being eclipsed by the moon = a metaphor for Roger Waters emerging from Syd Barrett's shadow to assume leadership of the band, etc. Yeesh.)

Thanks. This is a great plug for Quadraphonic music. The New York Times is read daily by millions across the globe. It also mentioned at the beginning of the article about the new box set and surround sound.

Quote:

“There will, of course, be another deluxe edition for the latest “Dark Side” anniversary. Arriving March 24, the new boxed set has high-resolution and surround-sound remixes and other extras, though it’s largely redundant after the exhaustive “Immersion Edition” reissue in 2011.”

They should have had a 50th anniversary event at Abbey Road, celebrating the album & talking to everyone involved ( who is still alive? ) about the sessions.

With a mudwrestling pit installed in studio one, so Roger & Dave could both go at it. Frankie goes to Hollywood style:

Yes, I was there. I've been to every Pink Floyd show in Ontario, Canada. I've read that Geddy Lee blew his mind attending "Yeeshkul!!!" :cool:
Yup... me too. Unspeakably great evenings. Finally tracked down the bootleg of the 1973 DSoTM show - instantly transports me back to the night.

At the break, you could not see across the building to the same level of seating on the opposite side, due to the amount of "smog" in the room !

Pink Floyd - Maple Leaf Gardens.jpg
Pink Floyd - Ivor Wynne.jpg

Last edited:
Yup... me too. Unspeakably great evenings. Finally tracked down the bootleg of the 1973 DSoTM show - instantly transports me back to the night.

At the break, you could not see across the building to the same level of seating on the opposite side, due to the amount of "smog" in the room !

View attachment 89260 View attachment 89261
I was on the floor at the Gardens show (a lot of pot passed around). Near front of stage in Hamilton, lots of booze being passed around in milk jugs. Miracle to still be here. :D

View attachment 89260 View attachment 89261
Wish you’d been here? The Hamilton Spectator

On June 28, 1975, Pink Floyd drew what is probably the largest crowd ever assembled at Ivor Wynne Stadium. It was the final night of the North American Wish You Were Here tour and Hamilton just wasn’t ready for it.

Floyd fans had paid $8.50 per ticket — considered a high price for the time. It was general admission and thousands spent the night before partying around Ivor Wynne. Public outrage with their behaviour made city council reluctant to allow another rock show.

Pink Floyd Hamilton Colliseum June 1975

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...cert-you-have-seen.107687/page-3#post-2413352

I am reorganizing some files in my NAS and I got lost, what 1977 Best of North American Tour 4.0 box set did it come from. Don't want to dig all my boxes out, thank you.

I have three coming.
The SACD version of Dark Side and the RBCD version of Live Wembley both coming from CDJapan, so we know those are not ATMOS as there is no Blu Ray.
My Popmarket Box Set has the Live Wembley as a RBCD, no Atmos.
The Dark Side Blu Ray (2) is Atmos.
Lots of money spent on this mother, only one Atmos Original album remix.

Back