Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 7.2.4 Atmos system but without a single blu ray option for DSOM I will gladly play the Quad mix. The Quad mix is probably the best most adventurous surruound mix I have and I don‘t have to pay PF a dime. I have a few good Atmos Bluray music discs but the Quad mix of DSOM is better IMO than any of them. Just because a surround mix is Dolby atmos mix doesn’t mean it will be better than previous mixes IMHO. I’m not saying the Atmos mix will be bad but the Quad mix of DSOM in the Immersion box set is fabulous.

Last edited:
If you go to jpc.de and type in Atmos blu ray, there are lots of releases not in huge box sets. Postage to USA however I do not know.
JPC has very reasonable shipping rates to the US and VAT gets removed during checkout so the price ends up being lower than what you see on the product page. It can sometimes take a while to arrive from Germany but JPC is one of my faves now!

Guthrie is doing the Atmos mix? His 5.1 is Big Stereo. I listen to it enhanced with Auro 3D at strength 16, which is the maximum, and like it that way.

So my biggest fear is that his Atmos mix will be Double-Secret Big Stereo. I need to see the QQ members’ reviews on the Atmos mix before even considering this set…and that’s after the price crashes.

Maybe the Dark Side Of The Moon animation competition may be the opportunity for a standalone blu-ray.

Someone with more time - and possibly some legal knowledge - could interpret the competition terms and conditions at Terms .

From what I can see, submitting an entry means handing over all rights to Pink Floyd "all media, formats and/or configuration" (clause 23). While seeing to rely on YouTube for video communication, they are requiring a minimum of 1080p (bluray) quality.

Assuming enough quality entrants arrive... which I would like to think likely... perhaps in this is an opportunity for the standalone bluray in 2024... the winning animations with some sound options...

1. 2.0 Original Mix (1973) 96kHz/24bit
2. 4.0 Alan Parsons (1973) 96kHz/24bit
3. 5.1 James Guthrie (2003) 96kHz/24bit
4. Atmos James Guthrie (2023) 48kHz/24bit

And yes, I know it's wishful thinking. But at least now it's in pixels :)

I have absolutely no use for the squished hockey pucks or most anything else in this box. The books would be nice to look at once or twice but the only thing I really want is the Atmos mix like most everyone else here.
I predict there will either be a stand alone BD announced soon, or this will be the most "acquired" music BD in history. ;)

Screenshot_20230121_132138_rif is fun.jpg

Some people have over reacted to the rainbow on PF's profile 😄
Morons.

View attachment 87689
Some people have over reacted to the rainbow on PF's profile 😄
Morons.

You know, if it wasn't for the fact that the rainbow was on the cover when "woke" meant something you do when you are finished sleeping, they might have a point. I wonder if those commenters have ever seen the cover. What a bunch of morons.

Here’s what they should have done for a 50th celebration of DSOTM on a twin pack BD:
An original 72 Stereo mix
Original 73 stereo version
Alan Parsons quad mix
James Guthrie 5.1 mix
Atmos mix
Hi-rez stereo remaster/remix latest version/mix
Hi-rez needle drop of whatever the best LP version is.
A full hi quality live show with other songs and encores etc from the era
Demos and ideas

I’d have bought something like that but there’s no way I’m buying the lastest cash grab box set without it coming down to a third of its price because that’s all it’s worth to me.

Back