SACD's Survival

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
honestly idk what all the witterings been about, if its the copy protection BS, some of us were capturing 5.1 from them 😅 (albeit laserdrops in real-time 😴 ) to make backups 15 years ago.. and if its the ultrasonic guff that's an issue, that should all be filtered out and nobody but Mrs. Slocombe's Pussy could hear it anyway! 🐶😹
I don't like it cause it's the only medium I can't RIP...none of my players can do that and I ain't gonna spend more $$$ just so I can rip freakin' SACDs....the other thin I don't like is that, to me, it's a flawed medium..sorry, but a medium that was created to do BACK UPs??? ummm...
the Ultra Sonic noise is just icing in the cake but also another part of the flawed media, no other digital media adds any noise... and you leave Mrs. Slocombe's PUSSY out of this.. meow!!!!

I don't like it cause it's the only medium I can't RIP...none of my players can do that and I ain't gonna spend more $$$ just so I can rip freakin' SACDs....the other thin I don't like is that, to me, it's a flawed medium..sorry, but a medium that was created to do BACK UPs??? ummm...
the Ultra Sonic noise is just icing in the cake but also another part of the flawed media, no other digital media adds any noise... and you leave Mrs. Slocombe's PUSSY out of this.. meow!!!!
Just get a cheap Sony player and follow the tutorial in the SACD ripping thread. Once set up it is no harder than ripping a CD and easier than ripping a Blu-ray. If you can hear the ultrasonic noise then you have better ears than the rest of us.

I became a believer in SACD when I got my Oppo BDP-103. The sound is fantastic, better than that of the universal type players that convert to PCM. I was a big fan of Blu-ray Audio but lately releases are coming out brickwalled. I haven't yet come across any SACDs that are butchered like that!

Dude!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1551708257...EEwnkkxznOjcDR9pPbiFaW+juw==|tkp:BFBM7N_jkexg

7 total.
Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 12.12.42 AM.png

Not ALL. @soundboy mentioned quite a few are missing.
yeah, probably some of those Hong Kong J~POP imports, JACK. But it would be to their advantage to include ALL since they do derive revenue from posting vendor links!

There are approximately 900 SACD releases that are not listed at hraudio.net. Most of these unlisted titles are of Hong Kong pop music, with Hong Kong Universal Music titles (over 500) being the majority. I used to translate the titles and submit them to sa-cd.net and hraudio.net, but it became such a monumental task.

Some of the other "not listed" titles include J-pop titles (previously under-representative but there's an upswell of J-pop titles being released in the last couple of years), SACDs from Korea (Warner Music of South Korea released its first SACD this year), SACDs from mainland Chinese labels, samplers, compilations, and demo SACDs. You can see all 819 "not listed" SACD releases in the link below at my signature.

Below are a couple samples of those "not listed at hraudio.net" SACDs....

28379227668_1d41d64a32_n.jpg
3989468626_b8d8a1b178_n.jpg

On the whole, these 'unlisted" SACD titles are not available on Amazon. Some of them are available through e-tailers like Elusive Disc, Acoustic Sounds, ebay, etc.

I would assume that there would be a good percentage of new releases with NEW content but as I was discussing on Steve Hoffman forums earlier today and doing a bit of research I went ahead and counted the number of SACD releases with new material from 2022 and 2021.

7 total.

• Feel Like Making LIVE! - Bob James Trio
  • Home - Jan Gunnar Hoff
  • Beatitudes for a Wounded World - THVAYHUN
  • Higher - Patricia Barber
  • Heavenly Voices - Fiona Joy Hawkins & Rebecca Daniel
  • Clique - Patricia Barber
  • The Golden Bonana - Mr. Afternoon
All multichannel, but 7 albums with new material on SACD on the past 2 years is abysmal, considering there has been more than 500 SACD releases last year and this year.

Record companies, if you're wondering why the youth isn't buying audiophile formats, try releasing NEW MUSIC on them!

SACD's survival is dependent on reissues. I agree that there is a lack of new recordings being released on SACD, in stereo or multichannel. And if you're looking at new recordings being released on SACD, in the US? That ship has sailed. I am guessing but I don't think that the US is even SACD's biggest market.

I started a survey and asked some of my friends to get some young people to fill it out.

Unbelievably, DVD/DVD-Audio is winning over CD, SACD, and Blu-ray for playback capability and user interest, and by A LOT!

🤨 HUH?????
DVD-A has always been my favorite. Great sounding, some pictures and lyrics.

Ironically, SONY invented both formats, owns most of the pressing plants and of ALL the majors has probably released LESS on both formats...including the fact they also don't have to pay themselves royalties!!!!!!!.
There's nothing unusual about Sony not supporting technology they invented. Beta; Mini-Disc;; Elcaset; need I continue? Where are they now?

There's nothing unusual about Sony not supporting technology they invented. Beta; Mini-Disc;; Elcaset; need I continue? Where are they now?
Oh, just collecting royalties for EVERY SACD pressed since the format was invented! And they did support BETA .... which WAS the better format with its faster writing speed but couldn't compete with VHS's longer playing times!

And don't forget Sony's Hi 8 format ... cute but totally unnecessary!

Sony is no worse nor better than other large corporations in that their prime focus is making money. If a product line isn't living up to expectations it's easiest to just drop it.

They did support Beta professionally to the end and only switched to VHS for the last few years when DVD took over. While it was a betrayal to die hard Beta fans like myself I can only assume that most of those fans already had high end Beta machines any were not looking for an immediate replacement. The general public like to jump on bandwagons, if a product is lagging in sales they avoid it like the plague.

Large corporations main/only concern is always the bottom line. A very sad fact indeed, which is why we see history repeating over and over again!

Sony is no worse nor better than other large corporations in that their prime focus is making money. If a product line isn't living up to expectations it's easiest to just drop it.

They did support Beta professionally to the end and only switched to VHS for the last few years when DVD took over. While it was a betrayal to die hard Beta fans like myself I can only assume that most of those fans already had high end Beta machines any were not looking for an immediate replacement. The general public like to jump on bandwagons, if a product is lagging in sales they avoid it like the plague.

Large corporations main/only concern is always the bottom line. A very sad fact indeed, which is why we see history repeating over and over again!
Sony could have done so much more for SACD. It was created to be a replacement for the standard CD, yet Sony did little to promote it. The first player was a stereo-only, $2000 model, aimed at audiophiles. Fine, but if they really meant for it to become the next generation of the CD, where were popular priced players? Car audio systems with SACD? Portables? They had a great library of recordings they could draw from, both new and previous releases. Sony could have used SACD to promote surround sound for the car, once they saw the potential in adding surround to the format, and hybrid discs, to allow them to be backward-compatible with existing players. In the early 2000's, Sony's SACD's were single-layer discs that a standard CD player couldn't play. Imagine if Sony had treated the original CD that way! I realize these companies are in it to make money, but I have to wonder how many times their decisions led them astray.

I’m declaring the death of SACD, Blu ray etc. in my life. I discovered Apple spatial, streaming etc a couple of weeks ago. Hey fellow old dudes, it’s the end of the road, time to make way for a new way. So your 150 dollar set with no surround disc, Talking to you Beatles. It is a joke, I don‘t need you or you 300 Mr. Pinky Floyd. Sorry. Thanks though for Animals and the “nice price”.

DVD-A has always been my favorite. Great sounding, some pictures and lyrics.
I've always gotten better sound out of DVD-A than SACDs with their lower resolution, and high freq noise added in to buffer out the missing bits. Maybe I didn't spend enough thousands to get SACD to sound really great. My Denon players just sounded so stunningly great with DVD-As. I was in 4.0 and 5.1 heaven so early on with my Denons and DVDs, but not SACDs
yup! SAME HERE...love the lyrics slideshow..and hell, you can even have PCM (with no MLP) on 4.0 discs!!!
I love that I can drop a DVD-A, DVD-V into DVD-Audio Extractor and output FLAC files so wonderful and easy, and those FLACs are so easy to edit the metadata tags, not so with dsf files. Only JRiver edits dfs out of the tagging programs I use.

SACD was a way to introduce a disc that could not be copied (ha!). It was also a way to introduce a digital system controlled by Sony and only Sony.

Last edited:
Back