Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spinning the 1st of 4 LPs from the Rush Moving Pictures boxset live in YYZ...it is warped towards the center so I have to push it down with my 45 adapter plus a bit of folded paper in the spindle hole so it stays in place, also , pretty noisy for a new pressing 180g LP pressing (which I think it's a lot of smoke and mirrors...)
the second record is REALLY warped, hopefully my SL-QL1 will behave and play it normally...
(I see that I belong to a growing number of QQers with sexy Linear Tracking TTs!!!)
NDItNTAwOS5qcGVn.jpeg
Really makes me NOT want to unseal my vinyl set.

Really makes me NOT want to unseal my vinyl set.
funnily it is only the second LP from the first of the 2 sets of the live show that was quite warped-my LT TT behaved splendidly...quality went from almost Mint (VERY quiet) to VG/VG+ (a lot of clicks).
Sound quality , it is Classic Rush, mixed by Terry Brown...highlight for me was ByTor cause Geddy lets it RIP on the bass basically improvising bass lines!!!..you'll love it!

was spinning these yesterday...
https://www.discogs.com/release/51275-Cocteau-Twins-Sunburst-And-Snowblind
and
https://www.discogs.com/release/12803378-Joe-Walsh-The-Smoker-You-DrinkPlayer-You-Get
...now my rant...what do sellers think NM really is?
To me , it's an LP which looks ALMOST new with PERHAPS ONE spindle mark...AAMOF, whenever I get a NEW record I NEVER state them as M cause most of them do NOT sound like mint records, which should be almost totally free of pops or noise or spindle marks...
Lately I have had to ask refunds on a lot of records that were described as NM cause, well, they AIN'T!!!
Both of these were listed as NM...
I like to believe people mean well so I always send them a message with the issue, it's a pain but it's just out of principle in spite of the price, and they mostly send me a partial or full refund depending on how bad the LPs really are...of course I take pics and post them..so here we go..
The Joe Walsh one..I opened this and went..WTF???? first of all, I would NEVER sell a disc in this condition and with this much dirt, this is how thrift store LPs usually are and the fingerprints were hard to the touch meaning that it'd be basically impossible to clean them effectively...I had to get a bit feisty, in a diplomatic way, cause the seller was like "yeah, well, JUST CLEAN IT!"(er... NOOOO!)... but I got a refund...I cleaned it and of course, the prints were still there mostly and they were noisy as hell...
IMG_1771.JPG

The Cocs one was a seller from Serbia who was really nice and the LP was quite clean but it had seen a LOT of action, as per the bunch of spindle marks (not visible) and the scratches that are very visible...now, this would be a VG condition, but never NM!!!
IMG_1773 2.JPG

so , from now on , I will ask for a photo of anything posted as NM, if only , so that the sellers can check the LPs before shipping them...

had not listened to this in a LOOONG time....I am BLASTING IT!!!! one of those LPs that wind up in your collection...it was a classmate's LP...
NS5qcGVn.jpeg
of course , followed by THIS ONE...I bought this when I moved to Philly Aug 82 and I saw them on Oct 82 at the Spectrum.... the inner sleeve has my setlist written on ballpoint pen from memory... I even got the Tour Program with the ticket taped to it...
OC03NjczLmpwZWc.jpeg

Interesting. With sides 1 and 3 on one disc and 2 and 4 on the other disc, you are describing the slide automatic sequence used on 78s before WWII in the so-called throwoff changers. I include a photo of one changing records.

View attachment 82929

After the top record of the stack played, the changer slid the top record off. Thus, it reverses the stack as it goes through it. (And sometimes it broke the record - worst changer I ever saw.)

With a drop changer, sides 1 and 4 are on one disc and sides 2 and 3 are on the other disc. This lets you just turn the entire stack over to play the rest of the album.

I have only two Microgroove albums labeled for slide automatic operation.
- One is a 45 album made like a 78 album made for slide operation in 1952.
- The other was the Rick Wakeman "Journey to the Center of the Earth", where the album is pressed for drop operations, but they put the wrong side numbers on the labels.
I remember owning several double LPs from the early 70s that were pressed for a drop-changer. I think Capitol did this most regularly. Off the top of my head I recall my copies of Grand Funk Live and Steve Miller Anthology were pressed this way.

you know? I was so excited to get these GERMAN pressings,but, alas, my excitement was short lived since I they are CLICK CENTRAL!

They LOOK WONDERFULLY CLEAN and gorgeous but that is why VISUAL grading only counts if you just LOOK at the LPs and not listen to them.... I DO hope that ClickRepair (which I just found out , does not work on my Mac anymore because of the updates and Brian Davies is probably passed to a better existence (RIP) and , thankfully STILL works on my PC) or IZOtope, which I have had to dial back cause I found out it actually EATS a lot of the music along with the clicks, will take care of the mother of all clicks...

The other GERMAN boxset, Ravel, does not fare any better, my only hope is that the Saint-Säens one, which is ENGLISH, will be nicer...
NjAtMTQzNS5qcGVn.jpeg

IZOtope, which I have had to dial back cause I found out it actually EATS a lot of the music along with the clicks,
NjAtMTQzNS5qcGVn.jpeg
So true Kap', am curious what De-Click / De-Crackle settings you end up with through iZotope (RX?) before it starts to eat stuff? On my LP rips run through RX 8 De-Click, it's not uncommon for it to find thousands of clicks to repair on a single side.

So true Kap', am curious what De-Click / De-Crackle settings you end up with through iZotope (RX?) before it starts to eat stuff? On my LP rips run through RX 8 De-Click, it's not uncommon for it to find thousands of clicks to repair on a single side.
At least with ClickRepair you can SEE in the upper display WHERE it's declicking and adjust the settings accordingly; the way I found out in RX7 (will probably update to RX10 the standard one for about $150) was previewing it and choosing "Output Clicks only" and that was where I found out it was eating away a lot of the music....

I am now spinning the ENGLISH Saint-Säens pressings and it IS better than the GERMAN pressings which are WAY too loud for my taste...might even spring a few extra bucks and get the SACDs from Japan for the Debussy set...
ODItOTc3NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Back