Steve Hackett-Live at Royal Albert Hall

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NOW I saw the 5 disc description. I also bit. Screw it, I'll take the chance for the price.

I think worst case it will be a refund. I scored the deluxe Rattle that lock for CD price once, so I usually give blow-out prices a chance. Sometimes it's a mistaken listing. I have 4 rbcds of Bowie's Reality, all for free! :confused:

I went directly to Import CD's site and the 5 disc set shows a price of $63.59.

I did the same thing like you a couple of weeks ago checking real price at importcds vs the price I was starting to see on amazon and it doesn't make sense but only thing I can figure out is when there is a pricing battle between sellers on amazon the prices sometimes just keep going down,down,down and sometimes like this time you get a crazy low price, even way better than their own real site.
I feel pretty confident its the real thing as I just got it from importcds.
You would think the resellers or amazon itself would put some kind of fail safe in there price changing program but I don't think they do for whatever reason.

Yeah I nabbed one too. Its a great price if its for real. I guess the thing that makes me suspicious its only the 3 disc set is the low $2.99 shipping charge.

I spun the BD~V disc tonight and I VERY highly recommend this set. Yes, a small bass reduction is necessary but overall the picture and sound are stunning. The rears are mostly ambience with discrete audience interaction. The performances are wonderful and Genesis fans will be very pleased with Hackett's treatment of some of their finest material.

Yep. Its the real deal. $18.50 plus $2.99 shipping. I got the 5 disk BRD book version today in the mail. Thanks for the heads up. I am very much looking forward to playing this.

Last edited:
I sent an email to the seller and waiting on confirmation that I'm buying the multi disc set as described. I have my doubts....

Hahaha! Well, I am as surprised as the next person. I too received mine and in fact it is the multi-disc set (about the size of an album jacket) and it looks very, very nice. Can't believe I got it for ~$22 shipped. Wow! I'll be checking this out later... :)

This is a classic example of why I LOVE this forum....everyone here seems to fish out these amazing deals, which I would otherwise be clueless. Thanks!!!

FYI - I purchased mine from Amazon third party seller called i-Deals Store. Just in case anyone wants to buy from them on this particular set.

Just a comment on the copy I received for cheap. (new)
The plastic wrap was torn a bit (I could care less) and upon closer inspection, the outer book type cover has two or three 1/16th inch indentations. You know, like it had been banged around a bit. Other than that, it's excellent condition. Could this be why the super cheap price? Those little indentations don't bother me at all of course.

Thought I'd mention that in case others would be bothered by such a thing.

Just a comment on the copy I received for cheap. (new)
The plastic wrap was torn a bit (I could care less) and upon closer inspection, the outer book type cover has two or three 1/16th inch indentations. You know, like it had been banged around a bit. Other than that, it's excellent condition. Could this be why the super cheap price? Those little indentations don't bother me at all of course.

Thought I'd mention that in case others would be bothered by such a thing.

In my case the seller was Import CD. There were no problems at all, in spite of the minimal packaging. Odd, at least in my experience, were the zero region code stickers in German. Perhaps the low price was due to these being overstock for the German market?

Just got mine and it is, indeed the real deal! No visible damage and a VERY nice set. Almost rivals the SW sets. Mine also has the region code sticker in German as LuvMyQuad alluded to, but who cares as long as it plays. Hopefully, it won't have the same issue as the Big Big Train Blu-ray. Thanks to everyone for researching this. Almost forgot to say mine also came from Import CD.
Import CD for me too. I'm glad that somebody else got the full monty. I'll breathe a little easier while I wait on the post.

Last edited:
Played the entire thing (extras included) this afternoon. A bit boomy on the low end as others have said, but for me very listenable with a slight reduction of my sub's volume. A great performance of some great material. Almost the same line-up I saw about a year and a half ago in the Philadelphia area. Looks like 4 still available. https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...acd_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=

Stay away from this. The low end ruins it. Terrible.

An hour in, I respectfully disagree.
Have you attended a live rock concert in the last 10 years?
They all sound like this to me.

The front of house engineers are all a bit over-fond of their subwoofers for my taste [and apparently yours].
But this is the world we live in today.

The boom scarcely ruins it for me if I listen to it as an accurate contemporary live recording, not a studio project.
Easily dialed in to my personal taste if I care to take the trouble.
I hear nothing out of the center speaker, and am reminded again how much I prefer quad when watching a surround concert.

Thanks again, Peter, for the heads up.

I agree - I enjoyed it as well. It is true, the bass is dialed up quite a bit. I, like most others, dialed back the bass on my sub (which takes about 10 seconds max) and all is OK. This is not reference. But, it's good. And, it's a wonderful way to hear these wonderful tunes. Super glad to have this in my collection.

Dang, I'm itchin' to throw this on soon! Just don't want to rupture that cellophane though!

That's what she said. Okay, that was bad but you really need to give this a spin EB! If you don't like it, place it in the wayback machine for rewrapping.

wayback-machine-2-e1347078319407_zpsoysarj7o.jpg

Back