Stuff that sounds amazing with the Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a case where the SM salvages a title: George Harrison All Things Must Pass (CD-2001 Remaster). This CD is a reverberant mess with DPLIIx Music and even worse with Logic7. Although the title remains in dire need of De-Spectorization, it is actually a listenable surround sound experience with Involve 4(.1). (Note that the quieter songs are still the most listenable.)

Here is a case where the SM salvages a title: George Harrison All Things Must Pass (CD-2001 Remaster). This CD is a reverberant mess with DPLIIx Music and even worse with Logic7. Although the title remains in dire need of De-Spectorization, it is actually a listenable surround sound experience with Involve 4(.1). (Note that the quieter songs are still the most listenable.)
Try Wonderwall next. It's amazing.

Fire breathing cruiser-bruiser, keep having to CRANK it up.
Lots of great discrete surround moments to warm an old Quadie's heart.
The Cars Heartbeat City - MFSL SACD / involve audio Surround Master v2 - 4.0

Mr. J P Pupster ... so glad you're enjoying your new SM v.2 and I highly recommend this Stereo SACD title if you can find it at a nice price. It even decodes exceptionally well on my non SM set~up:

71LNa0bPRCL._SL1457_.jpg

Me thinks you need a Surround Master v2 - ???

Methinks that's the least of my worries ...... I need a MUCH bigger house and my new Meridian self powered speakers far away from civilization in a wilderness inhabited by cuddly chipmunks and friendly [?] Bears...where I can become MASTER of my SURROUNDINGS!

See the source image

See the source image

Last edited:
You just need to Get On The Boat, join the Dance, feel the Love, hear The Word and become Satisfied.
*Get On The Boat is the standout track for me, with Maceo giving you a haircut from the fronts, Sheila E. slappin' you around with Congas in the rears- (keep your head down); and finally Horns jumping all over!

involve presents, with new aural astonishments!

The Completion Backward Principle
if you can possibly manage, play both sides at one meeting!

*Didn't really get going on the involve gravy train, until the second track as more interesting instruments/affects pop out; with Amnesia and Attack Of The Fifty Foot Woman stand outs for me. Honorable mention goes to a bonus track on this release "Gonna Get It Next Time".
This release from 2011 has an excellent overall DR of 14, but I still feel the SMv2 would react better with maybe an improved mastering, hard to say, it is an older recording 1981.
This is the version I have ..here:

Tonight I decided to try one of my all time favorite albums:
The Notting Hillbillies - missing... presumed having a good time.
This is a regular CD recorded via DDD. Some folks may consider this a fairly boring affair; however over the years it have become one of my top 5 listens of any music. I always felt the song: Railroad Worksong, would have made excellent opening theme music for the show -"Hell on Wheels". The vocals and harmonies are some of the lushest around. It doesn't hurt that Mark Knopfler is part of the band. Other members of the band are: Guy Fletcher; Steve Phillips; and Brendan Crocker. The album was produced by Knopfler and Fletcher in 1990.
This is an album I love to listen to on headphones; very clear sounding with excellent production. The Surround Master puts most of the vocals and bass in the fronts; pedal steel guitars in the right rear and acoustics in the left rear. Of course there are variations throughout the album, but the standout track for me is "Please Baby", which for some reason the SMv2 just seemed to take to kindly, with the aforementioned positions even clearer than usual. My settings on the SMv2 using 4.0 involve were main Level at 1 o'clock, Fronts at 1 o'clock and Rears at 3 o'clock. The rears just needed a little extra boost on this album, as usual they are set around 1:30. The CD has a DR of 13 and discogs here.

The Completion Backward Principle
if you can possibly manage, play both sides at one meeting!

*Didn't really get going on the involve gravy train, until the second track as more interesting instruments/affects pop out; with Amnesia and Attack Of The Fifty Foot Woman stand outs for me. Honorable mention goes to a bonus track on this release "Gonna Get It Next Time".
This release from 2011 has an excellent overall DR of 14, but I still feel the SMv2 would react better with maybe an improved mastering, hard to say, it is an older recording 1981.
This is the version I have ..here:

View attachment 41008
View attachment 41009

The way a lot of new wave and techno-pop is recorded gives a lot of info for the decoder. It's always multi-track usually high stereo separation and the flanging, chorusing, reverb etc gives some pretty impressive results. Thomas Dolby, Eurythmics, Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark, ABC, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Daft Punk (Discovery) are all ones I've listened to and been super happy with.

Apart from techno I was amazed at the quality of both music and surround playing Rock Candy Funk Party: Groove is King album. I would call it funky jazzy high energy dance music. Oh man this is great, thanks J Pupster! It starts off with a bang and just as you think the music and surroundiness can't get any better the next song kicks it up a notch. Times that you feel your in the spin cycle & I mean that in a very good way.

I admit I am cheating a bit on this. The music mentioned above and others I have ripped from CD and added a bit of out of phase blending a la Sansui QS Synthesize mode. Chucky feels this isn't needed but I feel it is a nicitie that expands the sound field and puts a good amount of direct musical information in the rears.. As mentioned in other threads the quality of decoding stereo to surround is variable & being able to phase balance the input really puts that under control. It has even improved on the likes of Earl Klugh, Acoustic Alchemy, and The Dandy Warhols.

Tonight: Gonna listen to RCFP again & some Prince.

If any of you lucky SM owners have access to the new RPWL Album Tales From Outer Space would be interested to learn how it sounds through the SM as it’s pretty good via the Marantz SR7012 multi channel stereo!!
I looked up the trailer on YouTube, but it never says what RPWL stands for????

If any of you lucky SM owners have access to the new RPWL Album Tales From Outer Space would be interested to learn how it sounds through the SM as it’s pretty good via the Marantz SR7012 multi channel stereo!!
As soon as I saw this I checked wiki to see who they are. Then my usual knee jerk reaction to check HD Tracks snd they are not there.

May I ask where you got this album from? Any high res sources?
Thanks!

Thanks!
Nothing in hi res unfortunately just a shame they didn’t give this the 5.1 treatment as they did with:
World through my eyes (sacd)
Wanted (dvd)
Stock (dvd) and
Plays Pink Floyd’s the man and the journey (dvd)
I just got three months free on Apple Music and played it from there and thought how good it could sound in surround.

As soon as I saw this I checked wiki to see who they are. Then my usual knee jerk reaction to check HD Tracks snd they are not there.

Thanks!
Looks interesting😀
The first reviewer gives a description of the artist, and in surround on this one.
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2743

Back