Stuff that sounds amazing with the Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More Mr Nesmith
The Garden

This one sounds even better.
https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Nesmith-The-Garden/release/4432818
In fact chucky, I would go as far as saying, this release could be used as a demonstration disc.

I have The Garden & I'll pull it out for a listen sooner than later. It's been a long time since I've heard it. Really looking forward to thanks to your recommendation.

Even tho I mentioned it elsewhere now seems a good time to mention again that Live at the Brit is another excellent one for the SM! No wrap around sound but it really comes alive & audience noise is not accentuated as happens often in surround. I just have an LD of it but the audio is digital, crisp & clean.

Manfred Mann's Earthband
Nightingales & Bombers

https://www.discogs.com/Manfred-Manns-Earth-Band-Nightingales-Bombers/release/1234250
I know how I keep harping on about how good this True Blue Box is but...

It just is.

This album is panning about all around me and very discrete.
Who would have thought those words would be used other than for real surround mixes.
Ya know Mike, I've got an old '74 era LP of their "The Good Earth" album which I'm pretty sure will sound great also. Just have to find it and get that new TT and... (darn it, I still don't think I've turned in that share certificate for a piece of land on that mountain :rolleyes:)

Ya know Mike, I've got an old '74 era LP of their "The Good Earth" album which I'm pretty sure will sound great also. Just have to find it and get that new TT and... (darn it, I still don't think I've turned in that share certificate for a piece of land on that mountain :rolleyes:)
And I have the Bands LP from '73 ...Messin. Small world ain't it. Always liked this band.
I remember using listening booths in our local record store to give it a good run through.
Them were the days eh Pups.
I will hook up my record player, one day, to Bluey.
Not used it in a long while.

This one:
https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/debut-carbon-dc/

Last edited:
First and foremost - you're all awesome and thank you for enjoying our work :)

Secondly, if it hasn't been mentioned yet, the track "Just popped in" by Kenny Rogers and the First Edition, 1967 recording, pre-quad - has some amazing surround sound feels in it, to my ears. Particularly the drums left and rear-left, and the acoustic guitar on the rear right, which I could pick details of the music out of that I hadn't heard before.

First and foremost - you're all awesome and thank you for enjoying our work :)

Secondly, if it hasn't been mentioned yet, the track "Just popped in" by Kenny Rogers and the First Edition, 1967 recording, pre-quad - has some amazing surround sound feels in it, to my ears. Particularly the drums left and rear-left, and the acoustic guitar on the rear right, which I could pick details of the music out of that I hadn't heard before.

Let’s play some of the Dude’s Precog. Magic on this one ☝️- Never played it yet through the SMv2, but I’d bet it decodes great 👍

When I’m dead 😵
Too much great music and QQ buds to experience in various phase 🤠
(* Besides, a little thing called “everyday honey dues life” keeps getting in my way- and I thought retirement would be the life of Riley- ha ha)
Well it was a late & relatively lo-fi night for me. First I got caught up watching Linda Ronstadt being honored for her achievements in music at the Kennedy Center. So that sent me downstairs to watch on YouTube an old Monkee's eps that 1st featured Nez singing Different Drum. Enjoyed a nice vodka & vodka. Then random Ronstadt music videos & a live concert of hers. Dug out my LP of What's New & loved it through the Surround Master! Still obsessed with Different Drum I pulled out Nesmith Live at the Brit where he does another great performance of that song. Wrapped up with Elephant Parts Laserdisc all through the SM. Certainly sound was better than picture.

Glad I don't owe any Honey Dues today.

I came across this version of the Who's Tommy which I have not played in years and tried it though the SM v 2. Sounds very discrete.
Tommy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fidelity is great too.
As many here know, Chucky has said many times something similar to: It doesn’t really matter about the fidelity of the source material (like a low-res. mp3 file) the Surround Master will decode it as well as anything else! That being so, I firmly believe in the old saying “crap in and crap out”, the better the original fidelity along with some other factors, the cleaner it will sound on the output. Two different factors in the overall enjoyment.

As many here know, Chucky has said many times something similar to: It doesn’t really matter about the fidelity of the source material (like a low-res. mp3 file) the Surround Master will decode it as well as anything else! That being so, I firmly believe in the old saying “crap in and crap out”, the better the original fidelity along with some other factors, the cleaner it will sound on the output. Two different factors in the overall enjoyment.
I havent played the mofi disc in years and forgot how good it sounded. I am going to do a comparison with my 5.1 DVD-A and SACD copies sometime. I don't remember them sounding as good as this disc. I will also have to find my mofi copy of Quadraphenia and try that too.

Agreed. The Surround Master works - and sounds - much better on well recorded material.

Both from a sound quality perspective and the phase relationships used by the SM are more likely to be preserved accurately on the better recordings and remasters.

Santana Abraxas sounds really good too. The opening track 'Singing Winds Crying Beasts' in particular, with the percussion spread out mostly in the rear, and bits of guitar zipping about the sound field. A very immersive experience, which has brought new life to an album I'd mostly got tired of.

2 channels will only deliver horizontal surround, 3 channels are needed for height using Ambisonic AFAIK

Oldish thread pickup, I know, so apologies.

Both three channel UHJ ambisonics and B-format only give horizontal surround. In UHJ, the 3rd channel contains the horizontal phase error correction, but no 3 (or 4) channel UHJ material was ever made publicly available. The 2 channel UHJ, like any 2 channel system, cannot avoid direction related phase errors. In 2 ch UHJ, these errors are distrubuted towards the rear of the soundfield. For UHJ and B-format, the forth channel (would) carry the elevation, Z, component. Full 3D (WXYZ) B-format material is available to download; this is unmatrixed ambisonics.

Some higher order material is also available, for which software decoders are needed.

Chuck Loeb - Memory Lane
*This is a legit. Circle Surround (CS) encoded CD off of Mark Anderson's site
http://www.surrounddiscography.com/circle/circdisc.htm
It sounds fantastic through the Surround Master; I'll also try it through my Marantz AVR with CSII and see how it compares, but I'm betting the SMv2 sounds much better (using Involve 4.0 mode of course!)
Very nice Smooth Jazz title -I like it!!! And these can be had very inexpensively.

CL-ML-SM-CS.jpg

CL-ML-R.jpg

Back