Super Audio CD Format Tops 4,000 Titles

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You say Sony has not discontinued the SACD project, but when did you last see any significant new releases in THIS country? It's been a while. And the word that Sony was cutting out SACD's was in one of the major publications, in fact, I believe it was in SOUND AND VISION. UMG has also announced they were not planning to release any more SACD's in this country. It would appear they were pressured into releasing the Moody Blues discs by fans who were willing to order them from overseas. Also, this list of 4000+ titles... where can one peruse this list?

The best source for a listing of all SACDs is over at www.sa-cd.net. It's now at around 4,100 last time I looked.

Significant new releases in the U.S.? Well I guess it depends on what you mean by significant. The 5 Moody Blues SACDs were released in the U.S. in June and September by Universal Music along with a new Classical Music SACD from Universal Music last week.

Sony released 3 Pop/Rock/Soul SACD titles in December (John Legend, Switchfoot, Duran Duran) and has released a couple of Classical SACDs in recent weeks - along with the continuing Red Seal SACD series on BMG/RCA.

And as others have noted here, we do get new SACD titles monthly in the U.S. from labels like Chesky and Telarc.

You say Sony has not discontinued the SACD project, but when did you last see any significant new releases in THIS country? It's been a while. And the word that Sony was cutting out SACD's was in one of the major publications, in fact, I believe it was in SOUND AND VISION. UMG has also announced they were not planning to release any more SACD's in this country. It would appear they were pressured into releasing the Moody Blues discs by fans who were willing to order them from overseas. Also, this list of 4000+ titles... where can one peruse this list?

Sony released three new titles in DECEMBER? Brian, that's nearly a year ago. How about in 2006? UMG did say they were releasing the Moody Blues discs, but what about the Steely Dan masters that Elliot Scheiner is working on? And the next wave of Elton John discs? UMG told Elliot Scheiner he did not have their OK to remix those titles, although he already did. He supposedly has to remix two titles again, but he told UMG he had the blessing of Walter Becker and Donald Fagen to do it. UMG says they won't release them. And they've said they won't release any more of the EJ discs. Confidence in the format is very low at UMG. So who's going to give it CPR?

Sony released three new titles in DECEMBER? Brian, that's nearly a year ago. How about in 2006? UMG did say they were releasing the Moody Blues discs, but what about the Steely Dan masters that Elliot Scheiner is working on? And the next wave of Elton John discs? UMG told Elliot Scheiner he did not have their OK to remix those titles, although he already did. He supposedly has to remix two titles again, but he told UMG he had the blessing of Walter Becker and Donald Fagen to do it. UMG says they won't release them. And they've said they won't release any more of the EJ discs. Confidence in the format is very low at UMG. So who's going to give it CPR?

I have to say that I do agree with this to some degree. Where are the mainstream releases? I love SACD. I have over 200 discs. Rock, Jazz, Classical, Bluegrass etc etc. But if Japan is the only source of the volume of releases I'm really not interested as these artists may be big there but very tiny, tiny,tiny,tiny,tiny,tiny,tiny,tiny.....I think that's enough.....in North America. Give me one Elton John MC SACD done well as opposed to 1,000 Yumushi Tukangowa and the Kamakazi Orchestra discs and I will be happy.

Sony released 3 Pop/Rock/Soul SACD titles in December (John Legend, Switchfoot, Duran Duran) and has released a couple of Classical SACDs in recent weeks - along with the continuing Red Seal SACD series on BMG/RCA.

Brian, with all due respect, that is beyond feeble. 3 titles that I would say most people here, who are huge surround fans, don't give a rodent's backside about. Plus the fact that these titles were released WAY after the initial redbook lost any steam it may have had. They had plenty of big titles to release on SACD and did not. I've said it 1000 times, in North America, SACD is deader than John Wilkes Booth.

Last edited:
I have to say that I do agree with this to some degree. Where are the mainstream releases? I love SACD. I have over 200 discs. Rock, Jazz, Classical, Bluegrass etc etc. But if Japan is the only source of the volume of releases I'm really not interested as these artists may be big there but very tiny, tiny,tiny,tiny,tiny,tiny,tiny,tiny.....I think that's enough.....in North America. Give me one Elton John MC SACD done well as opposed to 1,000 Yumushi Tukangowa and the Kamakazi Orchestra discs and I will be happy.

Exactly. The Japanese releases are mostly those meant for a Japanese-speaking audience. It's the American listeners I'm concerned with. I admit to liking some Japanese music, but I want more of what I'm used to. I want more of the artists who are well known to most Americans. But the record companies are looking at the bottom line, and mixing in surround is allegedly a more expensive process. I also imagine there are many artists who are wary of the process. If they have a chance to hear the results of a good mix, I think they'd be more supportive. The mainstream record companies need to be amenable to releasing the albums in a single inventory, hybrid SACD multichannel/stereo format. This way, all listeners will be served. Downloads can never achieve the sound quality this listener wants!

Exactly. The Japanese releases are mostly those meant for a Japanese-speaking audience. It's the American listeners I'm concerned with. I admit to liking some Japanese music, but I want more of what I'm used to. I want more of the artists who are well known to most Americans.

As I've said before, it depends on what kind of music you're into. If you're a fan of classical, jazz and audiophile material, there are still new releases of interest on SACD.

As I've said before, it depends on what kind of music you're into. If you're a fan of classical, jazz and audiophile material, there are still new releases of interest on SACD.
Right. My analysis is that, in these smaller markets, the proportion of listeners interested in the highest quality sound is disproportionately high compared with the larger pop and rock markets.

Kal

I have two SACD

Manowar & Godsmack

I am embaressed to mention Bon Jovi but I do have that one also somewhere

and Aerosmith

Right. My analysis is that, in these smaller markets, the proportion of listeners interested in the highest quality sound is disproportionately high compared with the larger pop and rock markets.

Kal

Sad, but most likely true :( .

Oh the humanity.

Unfortunately, and I suppose US Sony Music knows this as well, the typical pop/rock music buyer could care less about the sound quality afforded by SACD. Which can also be seen in the popularity of iTunes and other digital downloading services.

Brian, regarding you mentioning the December 2005 Sony pop/rock SACD releases, you forgot to mention the M/C hybrid SACD release of John Mayer's "Room For Squares". :D Regarding the John Legend M/C hybrid SACD, that was quite a missed opportunity....it was released just as the album was nominated for several Grammy Awards, which it went on to win. For the record, between the middle of December 2005 and middle of January 2006, US Sony also released the soundtracks of "Phantom of the Opera" and "The Legend of Zorro", and a Yo-Yo Ma title, on M/C hybrid SACD. Within the last 2 weeks, US Sony also released a M/C hybrid SACD from Danny Elfman.

It's apparent that SACD is much more popular outside of the US. I think part of the blame needs to go to the consumer as well.

BTW, sa-cd.net now lists over 4,100 SACD titles.

Unfortunately, and I suppose US Sony Music knows this as well, the typical pop/rock music buyer could care less about the sound quality afforded by SACD. Which can also be seen in the popularity of iTunes and other digital downloading services.

Brian, regarding you mentioning the December 2005 Sony pop/rock SACD releases, you forgot to mention the M/C hybrid SACD release of John Mayer's "Room For Squares". :D Regarding the John Legend M/C hybrid SACD, that was quite a missed opportunity....it was released just as the album was nominated for several Grammy Awards, which it went on to win.

For the record, between the middle of December 2005 and middle of January 2006, US Sony also released the soundtracks of "Phantom of the Opera" and "The Legend of Zorro", and a Yo-Yo Ma title, on M/C hybrid SACD. Within the last 2 weeks, US Sony also released a M/C hybrid SACD from Danny Elfman.

It's apparent that SACD is much more popular outside of the US. I think part of the blame needs to go to the consumer as well.

BTW, sa-cd.net now lists over 4,100 SACD titles.

Right. I didn't mention the Yo Yo Ma and the two soundtrack SACDs since they were on Sony Classical vs. the Sony Music pop labels.

As for titles, the John Mayer SACD was a main line title and of course the John Legend album that came out on SACD at the same time was even bigger sales wise for the record company.

Last time I was on www.sa-cd.net they were just about to hit 4,100 SACDs released. From your comments, it sounds like they've passed that mark now.

Of course but that doesn't make them classical.:mad:@:

Kal

Putting out Soundtrack and Original Broadway Cast albums as "Classical" releases is something several of the major labels do.

I think it must relate to their use of the same producers for both the Classical sessions and those for Soundtracks and Broadway albums.

Putting out Soundtrack and Original Broadway Cast albums as "Classical" releases is something several of the major labels do.
I know. That does not make it classical music.

I think it must relate to their use of the same producers for both the Classical sessions and those for Soundtracks and Broadway albums.
Whatever. Doesn't change the nature of the content.

Kal

They must have thrown DualDisc in with DVD-A, as the DVD-A numbers increased over 70% in 2005!!!

Back