Super Audio CD Format Tops 4,000 Titles

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with the RIAA stats is that they don't include SACDs that are treated as CDs by the record companies. So I think we're only getting part of the story there.
The industry seems just as confused as the typical consumer. Poetic justice.

Kal

The industry seems just as confused as the typical consumer. Poetic justice.

Kal

True! There are times that some of the record company folks don't seem to even realize that they've released a Single Inventory Hybrid SACD. Interesting times....

The problem with the RIAA stats is that they don't include SACDs that are treated as CDs by the record companies. So I think we're only getting part of the story there.

Yes, surely the 500,000 total is way low. I think The Rolling Stones SACD's sold more than a million total since the release in 2002. Of course 95% of purchasers couldn't tell it was an SACD they bought since it wasn't indicated on the package.

Chris

Yes, surely the 500,000 total is way low. I think The Rolling Stones SACD's sold more than a million total since the release in 2002. Of course 95% of purchasers couldn't tell it was an SACD they bought since it wasn't indicated on the package.

Chris

Yes, but the RS SACDs were almost gone in 2005. I guess these figures are totally dependant on proper record keeping. As much as I love both formats, it's hard for me to believe that DVD-A sales were up 70% from 2004 to 2005.

Yes, but the RS SACDs were almost gone in 2005. I guess these figures are totally dependant on proper record keeping. As much as I love both formats, it's hard for me to believe that DVD-A sales were up 70% from 2004 to 2005.

The numbers from the RIAA are a bit of a mystery. Hard to understand what they are counting.

And RIAA only get their numbers from certain (big box) retailers. I'd imagine most of the sale of SACD comes from online outlets such as Elusive Disc, Music Direct, CD Universe, etc. What about ebay? Do you think RIAA will keep taps on those e-tailers?

It is hard to tell the total sales and the figures shown aren't correct, that much I am sure of. The sales figures for SACD and DVD-A aren't robust and aren't growing much, we do know that.

Chris

According to the notes at the bottom, DualDisc is included in the figures for DVD-Video, not DVD-Audio.
Hmmm.
Also - what are the 2 figures quoted for DVD-A? I see one at 31.8%, and another at 72.2%. What do these actually mean?

Still - it is interesting to see that figures are actually heading in the right sort of direction, albeit slowly, and I for one expect to see a further increase nexy tear once the expectations of both HD DVD and BLu Ray have totally failed to deliver vis-a-vis High Resolution Multichannel Audio titles.

According to the notes at the bottom, DualDisc is included in the figures for DVD-Video, not DVD-Audio.
Hmmm.
Also - what are the 2 figures quoted for DVD-A? I see one at 31.8%, and another at 72.2%. What do these actually mean?

Still - it is interesting to see that figures are actually heading in the right sort of direction, albeit slowly, and I for one expect to see a further increase nexy tear once the expectations of both HD DVD and BLu Ray have totally failed to deliver vis-a-vis High Resolution Multichannel Audio titles.

The 31.8% is units sold, the 72.2% is dollar value. So apparently higher priced sales were up in 2005. Other than clearly identifying high resolution pales in sales compared to digital downloads and CD, the chart is very misleading and obviously wrong. The lopsided nature of sales volume is absolutely correct however.

I haven't observed that Blu-ray or HD DVD won't have high resolution audio, the formats are barely off the runway now. It wouldn't surprise me if both turned out be entirely video though. Maybe DVD-A will survive as a niche item for popular music and SACD will thrive for classical music. There is hope.

Chris

Last edited:
I recently read that DVD-V titles are in the 20,000 region. Given that SACD is essentially an audiophile format, the 4,100 number is quite healthy by comparison.

Back