Ten Years After - A space in Time (2012 4.1 Release!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an awkward situation we Multi-Channel fans find ourselves in, and not the first or last time either. We together at QQ and other sites are advocates for getting vintage and new MC music released. We are the most loyal music fans and we want to buy more stuff. If we don't buy - we do not get more releases, obviously.

It's easy to forget these releases originally came out almost 40 years ago. If this release did not come out "correct" to begin with in the 1970's, then one could suppose EMI would have assumed the channel assignments were correct. But then the "click" in the stereo portion. Not sure why the disc was not listened to carefully before releasing and perhaps more Quad archival info sought. This is one of the all time great Quad titles ever released. Back in the day, it seemed to have been everywhere all through the 70s, including "Sears" of all places. If I can get this at the right price, I will buy just to own it, for what it is. One should not feel bad to own this warts and all, as what is there is great, as opposed to Nothing. Such is the situation we find ourselves in.

Also, we do seem to get inconsistent configurations of packages. What is the thinking here? Some of the best packages we've seen lately were, the "Lynyrd Skynyrd" DVD-A, as that also had an extra DVD of visual media for those who want/expect that. The "Moving Pictures" title was cool that it came out in both DVD-A and Blu-Ray versions with a CD included. The E.L.O. Quadraphonic title was also great, especially for the price.

At any rate, hopefully this "glitch" does not stop the steady stream of Quadraphonic and Multi-Channel stuff we seem to be finally getting from EMI now.

As nuts as I am, I will still buy this title. If a "proper" Quad mix replaces it, I'll buy that, too. This is a curiosity and perhaps it will become a collector's item. No matter, I won't part with it. As I've stated before, and others have as well, this is one of the classic Quads, in both music and mix.

Still, EMI and especially Capitol (yes, I know this one isn't Capitol) have done so many sloppy things over the years that nothing surprises me with them.

Last edited:
Jim, i'm agree with most what you said but... wouldn't buy this release either correct or incorrect placement of soundfield
just because i don't like the sound of DTS and can't find even single excuse for EMI, having on the hands lossless audio,
go with lossy surround on the final retail product at premium price. after all, main point of this release was quad mix, which
last time was accessible, as you said, 40 years ago.
also i can't understand snobism of those, involved in production. from previous case with JT "Aqualung" we can assume
they perfectly know about QQ community. what hold them up from participation and active interaction with their consumers?
after all we have here the members with incredible knowledge of quad era and in fact, one of the rare community of the folks,
who actually prefer to buy, instead of freely download.
if ones have concern about quality and selection of their product, dialog with potential buyers couldn't be wrong move.

My assumption is that EMI could care less about QQ.

and so me care less about EMI as a corporate entity. i'm talking about the folks, employed there
and who's paycheck depends on turn around of their product. some labels, such like Roadrunner,
constantly hold in touch with their consumers through tweeters/facebook. folks from OPPO are
participating in many internet communities and b.t.w. pays great deal of attention to consumer's
suggestions.
so far such approach seems doesn't did damage to their business.

I agree that it couldn't hurt. I'd guess that Oppo is a very different company from EMI.

I'd LOVE to be proved wrong, but my impression of EMI and major record companies is that they've never given a shit about folks like us. I don't just mean Quadrophiles and audiophiles. i mean all the hard core fans who part with their $$$ and are likely considered suckers by the greedy bastards who run/have run these companies. For the most part, they're simply "suits." It's the biggest component in their business troubles. In the past, they've made money in spite of themselves. Now, it's not so easy. My feeling is that these companies could care less about collectors like us. That's sad, because the hard core collector may be their biggest chance at profitability. Are you listing, record label people? I own 20,000 pieces of software, yet I feel ignored and taken for granted by the record companies. I feel "shat" upon.

I could not agree more - the music industry has in general - ignored its own roots and has been run by corporate management that has failed to appreciate the requirements of the markets of today. They are more obsessed by seeking out anything that threatens the old business music model, instead of inspiring the new. And customers - they fail to understand that those they pursue should be their best friends.
With EMI - they have a ten year track record of poor business judgement and performance, so what can you expect? I only hope that when these anachronistic empires collapse, which they will, is that they do not destroy their archives, which is what we get our pleasure from.

It's sad, but all business's are out for one thing and one thing alone. The days of companies caring for their product, employees, customers, etc, are gone. Unless it's a small business like Oppo, Burning Shed, etc, the bottom line is what they care about. Stock holders > customers. It's every big company, not just the music industry. Everything is outsources, everything is cut back.

Remember when a label would allow an artist they believed in to produce 4 or 5 albums until they hit? Ah, those were the days. :)

And here is the Rub, not having had any reference to the original quad mix i would never have known that it was back to front, i just put it down to quirky mix, i actually quite like it. If you face the other way round (facing your rear speakers) does that not 'fix the mix' ?

I'd be keen to know if the levels are consistent between the front and rears... Hopefully the rears (fronts) :mad:@: haven't been mastered at a lower level... I'm waiting for mine to arrive.

I'm wondering if re-authoring will be a simple case of swapping the channels - or will we have to faf about with volume adjustments - arghhhh..

The levels are fine, but re-authoring will be anything but simple if you want to end up with a disc anything like the original.

It will require finding a way to make 1 button do 2 things (go to the track menu for the version you want AND set the correct audio)

Or figuring out how to make a slideshow with chapters, or making a menu that will go to a specific slide.

Also, I got bitched at by dvd lab pro for having 2 movies that don't have the same type of audio on the first option, one has the high res stereo, the other dolby digital. Well, how the hell else am I going to do this?

I'm about ready to swear off dvd technology and go all flac, if I can find a way to make that work for me. I'm really sick of menus.

I agree that it couldn't hurt. I'd guess that Oppo is a very different company from EMI.
EMI is a better company. Oppo is just in it for the money. That's why they make all their stuff in China, to maximize profits.

EMI is a better company. Oppo is just in it for the money. That's why they make all their stuff in China, to maximize profits.
But which electronics company doesn't do that? My Atoll pre and amps are made in France but that is probably the exception to the rule.

Oppo does have an amazing customer service, listening to their customers and always responding very quickly, something EMI clearly does not.

The levels are fine, but re-authoring will be anything but simple if you want to end up with a disc anything like the original.

It will require finding a way to make 1 button do 2 things (go to the track menu for the version you want AND set the correct audio)

Or figuring out how to make a slideshow with chapters, or making a menu that will go to a specific slide.

Also, I got bitched at by dvd lab pro for having 2 movies that don't have the same type of audio on the first option, one has the high res stereo, the other dolby digital. Well, how the hell else am I going to do this?

I'm about ready to swear off dvd technology and go all flac, if I can find a way to make that work for me. I'm really sick of menus.

i never did it myself but my guess it is possible and perhaps not really as difficult.
all you need is to extract video streams from original .vob files, mux it with your newly created audio streams and compile
those new .vob onto disc with preserved old .ifo, .bup and other .vob files, containing extra video, gallery, menu. etc.
thus this will give you disc with same structure and navigation as an original but with altered audio streams.

Forget DVDs I'll re-author to a blu-ray with Audiomuxer- no stupid intro screens or buttons to push... It just plays... plus I can put it on my hard drive.

Also I can convert to LPCM from DTS 96/24 as I don't have DTS 96/24 capable playback...

So why can't I find this on Amazon USA? Does anyone have the link?

I don't care if the vocals are in the rear. I often listen to stereo CDs through my surrounds just so I can better hear the vocals (and for other reasons).

Check post # 66 on this thread for Amazon link.

So why can't I find this on Amazon USA? Does anyone have the link?

I don't care if the vocals are in the rear. I often listen to stereo CDs through my surrounds just so I can better hear the vocals (and for other reasons).

At the risk of derailment, many high-end audio companies make their products in Western Europe and the US. My B&K amps and preamp are US made. Most electronics firms, including Japanese companies, manufacture in China, Taiwan and South Korea. IMHO, the only speakers worth a hoot are those made in Western Europe, US and Canada. Not everything made there is great, but I've yet to hear anything from elsewhere that sounds real.

Comparing Oppo, or any electronics manufacturer to a record label is apples and oranges. I truly believe that no record label gives a damn about the fans and collectors. We're just the suckers who buy their product. And I'm one of the biggest suckers ever.

But which electronics company doesn't do that? My Atoll pre and amps are made in France but that is probably the exception to the rule.

Oppo does have an amazing customer service, listening to their customers and always responding very quickly, something EMI clearly does not.

i never did it myself but my guess it is possible and perhaps not really as difficult.
all you need is to extract video streams from original .vob files, mux it with your newly created audio streams and compile
those new .vob onto disc with preserved old .ifo, .bup and other .vob files, containing extra video, gallery, menu. etc.
thus this will give you disc with same structure and navigation as an original but with altered audio streams.

Even easier if you have DVD-ReAuthor Pro & Scenarist SD.
Just dismantle the original with the first app, and it turns it into a Scenarist project.
ALl I have to do now is re-encode the DTS streams the right way around, replace the asset & recompile.
I'm doing the audio renders now.....although the sound is not a patch on the columbia master reel version.

Back