Ten Years After - A space in Time (2012 4.1 Release!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even easier if you have DVD-ReAuthor Pro & Scenarist SD.
Just dismantle the original with the first app, and it turns it into a Scenarist project.
ALl I have to do now is re-encode the DTS streams the right way around, replace the asset & recompile.
I'm doing the audio renders now.....although the sound is not a patch on the columbia master reel version.

...and to add insult to injury, the sound on this goofed up DVD(V!) is not even as good as the donkeys' years old unofficial/illegal/"underground" (call it what you like) reel..!

this is definitely the last time I blind buy an EMI quad/5.1 release now - in future, I will just wait til there's some feedback from others on here etc before wading in and getting it first.

why should we pay for inferior product (broken, in fact, the swapped channels are just that).. thats bundled in with useless rubbish most of us don't want/need.. when we can get it unbroken (i.e. channels correct as originally intended!) for free, yes for absolutely nothing (albeit illegally) online..??

bloody bunch of berks. :mad:

Guys, one thing to keep in mind here please for a sense of perspective.
I doubt it is the fault of EMI here - except that someone should have picked up on it in QC somewhere.
Remember that for the last year they are all in the position of not knowing of they have a job at all tomorrow or not, and it is anybodys guess how many will survive the forthcoming UMG cull, if any at all.
This means it would simply not be in their best interests at all to get it so badly wrong, and I wager anything you care to name that the mixes were delivered to the authoring house as separate files which they will have encoded into AC3 and DTS.
That is where the cock-up has occurred - at the authoring house.

Address all complaints there on this one.

I've believed for years that EMI doesn't have QC. If they do, those people must be drunk and/or high. They do get some things right in spite of themselves, but they've been screwing up things for decades. Don't blame the messenger.

Thanks.
Check post # 66 on this thread for Amazon link.
Vinyl Import. 2 discs. Who would have guessed?
Says 6 to 9 days. Hmm. Well I guess that's better than ordering from amazon de and having it arrive broken in half. Or is it?

Thanks. Vinyl Import. 2 discs. Who would have guessed?
Says 6 to 9 days. Hmm. Well I guess that's better than ordering from amazon de and having it arrive broken in half. Or is it?

Mine came in an LP mailer INSIDE a larger box with packing, and quite safely.

Hey, it's only $30 bucks for this, free shipping here. Neil is right, it was the authoring house that messed up.

We should shine the light at authoring houses. They are the one's on the front lines who could ask the record companies about authoring with Lossless sound included. That is, if the authoring houses have their act together or even know about DVD-Audio.

At any rate, it's cool that in 2012 EMI or whoever brought this title to us. That someone thought enough about it and felt it important, as it should be, that the Quadraphonic mix be released now. It's finally out again and hopefully more Quad titles will come.

I finally got mine open to check out. (It's been sitting for a few days!!)

So I ripped the DTS with DVD Audio Extractor, then AudioMuxer, but all I am getting is 24/48, although it's indicated as being 24/96. I know I read something somewhere about this, but I can't find that reference. So what's the deal?

As for the channels being reversed, well, the QA guy probably had no clue and nothing to reference, so somewhere along the line, someone messed up! They should have asked the "King Crimson QA Team" to check out their test discs! :)

Is this available on Amazon in the US? The one I found on Amazon says nothing about the Quad dvd, but it has the same number as the Europe websites (B008RYOY6M)

Is this available on Amazon in the US? The one I found on Amazon says nothing about the Quad dvd, but it has the same number as the Europe websites (B008RYOY6M)
B008RYOY6M is, as you likely know, the ASIN (Amazon Standard Identification Number). I would suggest that you call Amazon.com and ask them if the same ASIN means that the product in the US is the same as the one in Europe. If you have never called Amazon before I think you will find that their customer service is excellent.

Is this available on Amazon in the US? The one I found on Amazon says nothing about the Quad dvd...
I ordered it on the belief that one of the discs is the DVD so I'll let you know if its not when I get it. Amazon USA was saying it ships in 6 to 9 days. [Others here gave the link to it earlier in the thread so it was not entirely blind faith on my part.]

Be careful not to buy the vinyl LP if it says made by Audio Fidelity. That one is just the vinyl, nothing else, and was recently released so I can see how some people could accidently order that one instead.

OK, got mine yesterday, and just listened to the 96K stereo transfer. If anyone else has the DVD can you verify that track 4 'Over The Hill' is clean. On my dvd there is a click at 0:20.55 seconds into the track left channel only.
That's a pretty minor click. Your graph makes it look like a big pop. I compared this 24/96 track played on a Pioneer BDP-05FD to the Audio Fidelity gold CD played on a Sony XA5400ES and found the volume level to be identical between the two making comparisons easy. Couldn't notice any difference in EQ. The CD had that slight shrillness in spots like what you get with CDs. Otherwise hard to tell the two apart. The CD did not have the click in question, but wasn't click-free itself.

(My review may be a bit late but I just received the DVD and LP today)

Mine arrived today. Well packed and protected as others have said. Pretty dodgy packaging slipping the cardboard sleeve covered DVD in with the LP considering this seemed to not be bargain basement priced. Happy to have it just the same. Next to give it a listen

I said the same thing to my local import CD store when mine arrived. More $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the greedy bastards at EMI, who spared no expense for the packaging or the heavily QC'ed product!! :howl :yikes I'm glad to have it even though it is a F&%ked up project. If I sit backwards, it sounds better than my SQ LP or Q8 of this essential Quad.

Mine arrived today. Well packed and protected as others have said. Pretty dodgy packaging slipping the cardboard sleeve covered DVD in with the LP considering this seemed to not be bargain basement priced. Happy to have it just the same. Next to give it a listen

Same way they did it with the two Talk Talk titles. The CD version comes in a jewel case. I was thinking of replacing the jewel case with a 2-CD case and putting the DVD in there with it.

Back