The Beatles - Abbey Road 50th Anniversary (5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perfect release for christmas! ;)
Abbey Road was a Christmas "event" release. I actually remember seeing all the album copies on display racks in just about every store - you saw that iconic street scene walk. I was super excited to get one, and had to wait until after Christmas and buy it with Christmas money. I only had the Apple 45 "Something" / "Come Together". Both were not my favorite songs on the album by a long shot. But the album was going to hit the spot I just knew it at age 9.

I'm never excited about an album like that anymore. Maybe this one will satisfy in a way like it did in 1969/1970?

Abbey Road was a Christmas "event" release. I actually remember seeing all the album copies on display racks in just about every store - you saw that iconic street scene walk. I was super excited to get one, and had to wait until after Christmas and buy it with Christmas money. I only had the Apple 45 "Something" / "Come Together". Both were not my favorite songs on the album by a long shot. But the album was going to hit the spot I just knew it at age 9.

I'm never excited about an album like that anymore. Maybe this one will satisfy in a way like it did in 1969/1970?
I got mine right around release day, it was legendary at the time and here in Baltimore, people actually lined up on release day to buy it.
Record stores also knew they could soak you for it and I remember it being $6.99 when virtually everything else was a couple dollars cheaper....
Life magazine panned it.
oh and Paul was barefoot, he must have obviously been dead.

Record stores also knew they could soak you for it and I remember it being $6.99 when virtually everything else was a couple dollars cheaper....

That was like $48 in today's money. Even $4.99 is $35 today. And back then you had to flip the record over if you wanted to hear side two!

Snood confused is this confirmed Winter release or just conjecture?

Snood already has a pre release test pressing to pre-bug but...............oops

AHHHHH got ya!!! :LB :SG 😆 :SG:LB

Hell maybe Snood will have me new system up by Christmas to even listen 😆🤗😆:rocks

Last edited:
I got mine right around release day, it was legendary at the time and here in Baltimore, people actually lined up on release day to buy it.
Life magazine panned it.
I saw it at $5.99 and only $4.99 at discount dept. stores like Woolco, and other "family" type stores. One did not have to pay the full list $6.99 for it. I got it at a chain called Wonderworld in Las Vegas, NV.

I think I got mine at the local W.T. Grants for $5.99. Back then it was cool because it was stereo only. In the old days, the stereo LP's were usually a dollar more than the mono's. Hey, to a 14 year old back then, a dollar was a lot! Funny thing is that because of that I always bought the mono's, so now I actually still have my mono Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour. They're pretty beat, I wrote my name on them and all, but they are original.

And mine didn't list "Her Majesty" on the back, so when "The End" was over, and I got up off my butt to take the tone arm off the record, was I ever surprised to hear that tune start, especially with the big blast at the beginning of the song. And then "What was that?" That little extra tune just ended when there should have a least been another note! Right?

I think I got mine at the local W.T. Grants for $5.99. Back then it was cool because it was stereo only. In the old days, the stereo LP's were usually a dollar more than the mono's. Hey, to a 14 year old back then, a dollar was a lot! Funny thing is that because of that I always bought the mono's, so now I actually still have my mono Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour. They're pretty beat, I wrote my name on them and all, but they are original.

And mine didn't list "Her Majesty" on the back, so when "The End" was over, and I got up off my butt to take the tone arm off the record, was I ever surprised to hear that tune start, especially with the big blast at the beginning of the song. And then "What was that?" That little extra tune just ended when there should have a least been another note! Right?

I read that Her Majesty was originally in the main medley but was edited out and spliced to the tape's end after some leader, for safekeeping. After, also being surprised, hearing it after The End the Beatles (Paul?) dug it and made it official.

I read that Her Majesty was originally in the main medley but was edited out and spliced to the tape's end after some leader, for safekeeping. After, also being surprised, hearing it after The End the Beatles (Paul?) dug it and made it official.
The crash at the start of Her Majesty was actually the last chord of Mean Mr. Mustard. According to Beatles Books, When John Kurlander cut out “Her Majesty” from this rough mix, a decision was made to also cut out the final crashing chord of “Mean Mr. Mustard” along with it in order create a suitable edit with what would then be the next track, “Polythene Pam.” Also, concerning the final acoustic guitar chord that Paul played on “Her Majesty,” author Mark Lewisohn explains that “it was left buried in this unreleased rough edit of the medley, at the beginning of 'Polythene Pam.'” :phones

Life magazine panned it.

I wouldn’t exactly call the review a pan but it wasn’t glowing either. It was written by controversial Elvis and Lennon “biographer” Albert Goldman. I can’t copy the review but you can search it here;

http://www.oldlifemagazines.com/

Apparently the deluxe edition will contain 6 discs and it will be released on Sept 27th, which is basically the 50th anniversary of the original release date.
Don't know yet whether it will contain 4 CDs, 1 DVD, and 1 Blu-Ray or 5 CDs and 1 Blu-Ray

:)
My bet would be on the 4CDs, 1 DVD, 1 BRD package. That allows accessibility for the largest demographic possible.

I'd be happy if we could get unmolested copies of the stereo and mono mixes free of the volume war hype of literally every digital edition. And then maybe a surround mix that ALSO is free of that treatment. Probably too much to ask. But then the last two DID clean up with a little attenuation on their high end blast. And the mixes are pretty cool at worst. Definitely some moments of greatness. Whoever is behind this business of holding the full fidelity of these recordings back and keeping it out of print is just the most greedy piece of work. Still better than nothing though. I'll take another treble-y surround mix like the last two I suppose.

Or - I don't know - maybe surprise us with the first full fidelity AND surround release (including the original mono and stereo mixes in full quality) for this one and then follow up with the rest of the catalog including reissues of Pepper's and White Album. :D

I'm gonna hang my hat 🤠on that Giles Martin tweet; and have no illusions of what I want:

-----------:51QQ -----------------------------
FULL BLOWN SURROUND SOUND

Back